Asbestos Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago I visited a garden with two very strange structures which I was told were asbestos bee hives.
They were big, quite tall and ROUND! They were about the same shape and size as the plastic compost bins we are familiar with today.
Inside were normal wooden WBC inners but instead of the usual wooden lifts, these lifts were round asbestos rings which fitted together under a round lid.
Obviously factory-made rather than home-made they must have been popular at the time but very few will have survived.

Did you find the asbestos hives? I'm trying to trace some so they can be recorded for historical purposes.
I think there may be a picture here on the forum of some. I have seen some of the hives, then I seem to remember seeing a photo of them on here. I've just spent an hour or so looking back though my files but cannot find one (if I took it) and I know the hives went about 8 years ago or so.

Yep - I know different. Don't touch it with the proverbial barge pole until you have independent expert verification of what it is. Mesothelioma is a killer.
The dangers of Asbestos were realized long ago now and going back to the 1980s corrugated sheets for roofing and similar works were made out of other fibres and cement. I recently had an old pigsty demolished after the materials had been tested and happily found not to contain asbestos. As often found with "improved" substitutes the fibre cement sheets did the job but were much more brittle and easy to crack. Nearly every sheet on the old shed had cracks in the corrugations and rain penetration made the shed of little use.
Coated metal profiled sheets are going on the steel framed replacement shed ☺️👍

all councils take asbestos waste aslong as you take it to thier asbestos waste point not the local tip and aslong as its no trade waste.

a bee hive made from asbestos is quite normal to find, when you think that in the last few years only did we realise that it kills people up untill the 1950's you could buy it as easy as we buy timber now. and as for a bee hive its brilliant stuff, does not rot or corrode does not need painting or protecting, great stuff.

all you need to do is remove the bees from the hive and then wrap it up as many times as you like with plastic two minium and then duct tape the day lights out of it,

the simple rules with dealing with asbestos are very simple common sence realy.

as long as we dont break it we would not have any free fibres, so either wrap up whole sections as you find them or the whole lot in one piece, what ever is easiest to deal with. if you do it when its wet there is even less chance of free fibres.

mask wise what you realy want to wear is a proper one, made from rubber like a army gas mask rather than the paper ones from b and q,

when you go to buy your mask what we want is one that does at least P3 protection level or even better P2. the masks are about £20 each and will easily last the job your going to do.

i would suggest a paper suit outfit over the top of your bee suit to prevent any fibres straying and use thick polythene rather than the thin stuff
The wives of boilermakers got asbestos-related lung disease from shaking out the dusty work clothes when they washed them.

The wives of boilermakers got asbestos-related lung disease from shaking out the dusty work clothes when they washed them.
And sadly one of our forum members died of mesothelioma years after the classroom next to the one she was teaching in got demolished

And sadly one of our forum members died of mesothelioma years after the classroom next to the one she was teaching in got demolished
A person I know was an architect and developed mesothelioma in his early 80's. Was put down to visiting work sites to check on progress and breathing asbestos.

A person I know was an architect and developed mesothelioma in his early 80's. Was put down to visiting work sites to check on progress and breathing asbestos.
Andrew Hall (the other son) in Butterfies was our neighbour and died of mesothelioma believed to be caused but safety curtains in theatres.

Andrew Hall (the other son) in Butterfies was our neighbour and died of mesothelioma believed to be caused but safety curtains in theatres.
Yes I can see that. My daughter brought some home from a venue she was involved in London somewhere. I took one look at them, wrapped them up then skipped them.

I have no hope .. I spent one of my school holidays (As did many other kids I knew) cleaning the spent brick linings out of the furnaces at the local steelworks.. the next layer after the firebricks was asbestos and we had to just remove the bricks and leave that in place. They gave us a hammer and a chisel and a blue boiler suit !

The following year I worked at Bassetts Liqourice Allsorts factory in Sheffied - with the fitters, one of my jobs was coiling asbestos rope round the steam pipes that were being replaced.

It's a wonder I've lived this long when you consider H & S in the 1960's. Asbestos mats in the science labs at school ? Asbestos walls and ceilings in classrooms ... Garages that were made out of asbestos sheeting with corrugated asbestos roofs ? It was everywhere,

Yes you do. They don't know why but only around 13% of people heavily exposed get cancer
Well that's a relief ... Sadly, most of my family die from cancer, my brother is in remission from prostate cancer and I smoked from the age of 13 until about 30 - at which point I was nudging 40 a day .... I've really loaded the dice :) Still.... made it this far and my mum made it to just short of her 100th birthday so I suppose there is hope !

Well that's a relief ... Sadly, most of my family die from cancer, my brother is in remission from prostate cancer and I smoked from the age of 13 until about 30 - at which point I was nudging 40 a day .... I've really loaded the dice :) Still.... made it this far and my mum made it to just short of her 100th birthday so I suppose there is hope !
I wouldn't be despondent, although lifestyle & environmental factors make some difference (particularly mesothelioma), most cancers are random chance. You may still exceed your mum's lifespan!

Long may that continue. I’ve dodged that bullet. Let’s hope the gun’s empty now.
When I worked for the 2011 Census I was told that the child who is going to live to be 150 years old has already been born ... and it's ME !!! (Well I think it is anyway ...)

When I worked for the 2011 Census I was told that the child who is going to live to be 150 years old has already been born ... and it's ME !!! (Well I think it is anyway ...)
The current scientific thinking is that the maximum achievable lifespan is about 120yrs.

Do you actually want to?
Too right I do, as long as my brain and some limbs work ... even if they are bionic ! I reckon 70 years in retirement will just about give me enough time to turn my stockpile of timber into useful items ...

Do you actually want to?
My (and my father's) old Welsh teacher in secondary school still comes to our chapel (she's in her ninety fifth year now) she was chatting to my mother a few weeks ago and she just said 'I'm tired of waiting for the next step now'

Latest posts

Back