Asbestos Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6127

House Bee
Reaction score
This may sound silly, but has anyone ever heard of Asbestos hives?

I have been asked to look at 2 WBC type hives, which are as old as the hills. I haven't seen them yet, but have been informed that the outer shell is made from asbestos.

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with these?
Should I just re-hive all the bee's, and be bloody careful in the process?
Or is it more likely to be that the outer isn't asbestos, but something else?

Thank You

At least they won't catch fire - you won't have to worry about your smoker :D

from my understanding it is only when asbestos disentigrates or gives off dust it is a problem . I removed an asbestos roof from the garage and the council were happy for me to remove it using a dust mask. (this is the info I was given by them ), perhaps someone knows different

Yep - I know different. Don't touch it with the proverbial barge pole until you have independent expert verification of what it is. Mesothelioma is a killer.

the council were happy for me to remove it using a dust mask.

I bet they were!
While their guys were well out of range no doubt.

To be fair, as far as I understand it - asbestos roofing is a mixture of asbestos and concrete, so is much less likely to shed fibres. Asbestos WITHIN buildings is much more dangerous.
Disclaimer....this is my opinion based on hearsay only.

I bet they were!
While their guys were well out of range no doubt.
Asbestos WITHIN buildings is much more dangerous.
Disclaimer....this is my opinion based on hearsay only.

Lot's of victims were completely unaware that they were working with asbestos; Garage mechanics using an air line to clear brake dust (containing large amounts of the stuff) were being contaminated on a daily basis .
Brake shoes/pads no longer use asbestos thankfully .

VM

Thanks for the answers so far. I know a bit about asbestos safety, so am always cautious around it.

I will go and look at the hives, and get some pics up. If they are made of asbestos, may be a bit of a rarity.

I would imagine that the material is asbestos/cement sheet. Just be careful and don't blow things about or crunch bits.

My family lived in an asbestos prefab at Swinderby for four years as a kid/youth in the late 50's. It is not good stuff, but it's not exactly like going for a wee with chilli on your hands.

Actually disposing of the stuff safely and legally is likely to be the biggest problem you will encounter.

Perhaps the bees will propolise it all for you and render it relatively safe.

Garage mechanics using an air line to clear brake dust

Used to be used for brake friction material on trains, too - cars in carparks adjacent to the stations would often be covered with a dusting of brake linings from the trains, so a lot of people would have been inhaling that nasty pollutant. But nothing like those that worked in the asbestos industry making friction and insulation components - they would likely be walking in a layer of asbestos dust! Those companies are now hoping that the sufferers die so that compensation is avoided/reduced.

Garage mechanics using an air line to clear brake dust

Used to be used for brake friction material on trains, too - cars in carparks adjacent to the stations would often be covered with a dusting of brake linings from the trains, so a lot of people would have been inhaling that nasty pollutant. But nothing like those that worked in the asbestos industry making friction and insulation components - they would likely be walking in a layer of asbestos dust! Those companies are now hoping that the sufferers die so that compensation is avoided/reduced.

Hi Rab ,
I live in a village ,where an ancient wood was uprooted (1949), when derelict industrial land was available adjacent to it!
A large asbestos works was built there !
This found employment for a good number of people from within and without the village . As this was also a textile producing area a few thousand 15 year old girls on leaving school were employed there weaving asbestos cloth !
Asbestosis was rife amongst these girls . a school friend of mine, succumbed at the age of 42 !
As children we used to play in an area where waste asbestos had been tipped external of the companies perimeter fence ! This was denied but subsequently
the land was bought by another company. During the building of their premises, they uncovered what was never there and transported it away in covered dump trucks during the night hours . Mhhhh!

VM

Yep - I know different. Don't touch it with the proverbial barge pole until you have independent expert verification of what it is. Mesothelioma is a killer.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

an add on to my previous message, , the council removed my asbestos free, as long as it was wrapped in 2 sheets of polythene and taped up

North Yorks CC take asbestos for free from non-commercial sources. Yopu need to double wrap it and take it to certain recycling sites. I am sure it's the same in other counties.

Dave

all councils take asbestos waste aslong as you take it to thier asbestos waste point not the local tip and aslong as its no trade waste.

a bee hive made from asbestos is quite normal to find, when you think that in the last few years only did we realise that it kills people up untill the 1950's you could buy it as easy as we buy timber now. and as for a bee hive its brilliant stuff, does not rot or corrode does not need painting or protecting, great stuff.

all you need to do is remove the bees from the hive and then wrap it up as many times as you like with plastic two minium and then duct tape the day lights out of it,

the simple rules with dealing with asbestos are very simple common sence realy.

as long as we dont break it we would not have any free fibres, so either wrap up whole sections as you find them or the whole lot in one piece, what ever is easiest to deal with. if you do it when its wet there is even less chance of free fibres.

mask wise what you realy want to wear is a proper one, made from rubber like a army gas mask rather than the paper ones from b and q,

when you go to buy your mask what we want is one that does at least P3 protection level or even better P2. the masks are about £20 each and will easily last the job your going to do.

i would suggest a paper suit outfit over the top of your bee suit to prevent any fibres straying and use thick polythene rather than the thin stuff

Latest posts

Back