EFB notification

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have had notification from BeeBase that EFB has been confirmed in the locality.
I will be inspecting today carefully and taking some pictures - but if everything looks in order I'm assuming I don't have to do anything else?
It's a single hive and this year I have a spare suit, hive tool and smoker for it on site.
Has anyone else received a notification - how common are they - and is there anything else I can do to limit the risk?

Yes....I had a visit a few years ago.
Since then I keep a couple of LFTs to use if I see a suspect larva
If you've had notification self inspection is not enough unless you have DASH accreditation. Your bee inspector should be making an appointment to look at your bees

I will be inspecting today carefully and taking some pictures - but if everything looks in order I'm assuming I don't have to do anything else?
You don't - it's just a heads up for you to be a bit more vigilant. If you are within the contiguous zone, the bee inspector will be in touch to arrange an appointment/inspection.

Do you get notified if you are outside the contiguous zone ?
I think there are two zones - not everyone who gets the notice gets a visit
To be honest, last incident in our area was when someone bought an infected nuc and brought it back from death valley (AKA Pembrokeshire) I had the call to arrange an inspection and it was all done and dusted (three apiaries, about thirty odd hives) before the notice came out!!

I received an AFB warning last week. The SBI is coming to inspect on Wednesday. Only 3 of my apiaries were included in the 3 km radius zone and so with a little bit of drawing circles on maps I think I have narrowed down the area that contains the outbreak. I am pretty certain that none of my hives are infected and my colleagues and I are concerned about collecting swarms. The SBI will not provide further information but I am hopeful that he will agree with me on the area to avoid. If my drawing calculations are correct there is a village in the affected area that has many feral colonies. I know of 6 and my colleague another 7. The Red circle is the affected zone and the blue circles based on apiaries excluded from the AFB warning

Attachments

• AFB.JPG
    AFB.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 5
Recibí una advertencia de la AFB la semana pasada. El SBI viene a inspeccionar el miércoles. Solo 3 de mis colmenares se incluyeron en la zona de 3 km de radio, por lo que con un poco de círculos dibujados en los mapas, creo que he reducido el área que contiene el brote. Estoy bastante seguro de que ninguna de mis colmenas está infectada y mis colegas y yo estamos preocupados por recolectar enjambres. El SBI no proporcionará más información, pero espero que esté de acuerdo conmigo sobre el área a evitar. Si mis cálculos de dibujo son correctos, hay un pueblo en el área afectada que tiene muchas colonias salvajes. Yo conozco 6 y mi colega otros 7. El círculo rojo es la zona afectada y los círculos azules en base a colmenares excluidos de la advertencia AFB
Towersey?

Latest posts

Back