Let's share our garden setups

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viridens

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
4. Experimenting with Warres after 30 years of Nationals
While this forum primarily caters to beekeepers, I assume that many of us share a common love for gardens, dedicating considerable time to their care and upkeep. After all, our gardens are our own slices of paradise. Let's take a moment to share pictures of our gardens and the furniture that adorns them. I'm eager to draw inspiration from the diverse and beautiful spaces you've cultivated.

I've initiated this discussion because my family and I recently moved and now have a small piece of land that we're eager to transform into a haven of tranquility. Below is a snapshot of the current state of our little plot of earth.

While it's not a vast expanse, we're determined to make the most of it.
A few days ago, we ordered a 6-seater round dining set. This one. That has a weatherproof aluminum frame designed to withstand for years to come.
My wife will decide about the plants and shrubs, while I plan to create a stone path to the perimeter area where the dining set will be placed.

Given the limited space, we're open to suggestions on maximizing its potential.
If you have any ideas on how we can enhance this little piece of heaven, please share them below.
I'm also excited to see photos of your gardens for additional inspiration.

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 7
What a lovely post.
You have a blank canvas.
I might start with a small garden friendly tree like an Acer or a flowering plum.

my small garden ..+my 3 legged cat..

Attachments

• 950.JPG
    950.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • DSCF3003.JPG
    DSCF3003.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 967.JPG
    967.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 966.JPG
    966.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 965.JPG
    965.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 957.JPG
    957.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 954.JPG
    954.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 952.JPG
    952.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 951.JPG
    951.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
my small garden ..+my 3 legged cat..
With all the greenery in it, your garden looks huge.
I like it. And the small pond. If I had more space, I would also like one. But doesn't it smell bad after a while?

I might start with a small garden friendly tree like an Acer or a flowering plum.
Both look great. It would be great to have them.
I forwarded it to my wife

What is the aspect?
Think about climbers or tall plants to grow against the boundaries. They will soften the hard edges. A carefully placed mirror will bounce light around and give the illusion that there is garden beyond the boundary.
You can have so much fun planning, planting and enjoying it.
The RHS is good for plant suggestions.
Good luck

Early in the pandemic, Gardeners' World asked viewers to make videos. My wife made this. (I just held the camera.)

It's not quite what the OP has asked for but if you have three minutes with nothing else to do you might care to watch.

(It wasn't shown on GW.)

With all the greenery in it, your garden looks huge.
I like it. And the small pond. If I had more space, I would also like one. But doesn't it smell bad after a while?
its about 30ftx30 ..ilive in a bungalow.the pic 954 is from my back door.the pond as a small solar panel water pump .not very good .
greenhouse at the top small patio .its for wildlife not me. lots of fruit trees ..i live out in the sticks no need to sit in garden ..no fish in the pond .

Last edited:
Early in the pandemic, Gardeners' World asked viewers to make videos. My wife made this. (I just held the camera.)

It's not quite what the OP has asked for but if you have three minutes with nothing else to do you might care to watch.

(It wasn't shown on GW.)
I think its charming, Archie
Thank you for putting it up.

My back garden some 13 years ago now , it is much changed. A lot of the lawn has been planted with shrubs and a Orange ball tree . In all it is approx. 160 feet long and goes on past the grey roofed shed.
This side of the grey roofed shed (rhs) is small 3 ft deep 6 x 4 gold fish pond, the semi raised pond and shed on the LHS are both gone now and in it's place sits a 5.5m x 2.3m out building with the wife's keep fit equipment in one part and my extraction area in another part.

The wysteria covered pergola structure in front of the shed has rotted in part and the LHS is no more and was taken down.
DSCF0004.JPG

Beyond the grey roofed shed in the above pic this was what is beyond.
The garden is quite narrow 27 -30 feet wide along it's length, beyond the brown 12 x 10 tin shed at the back is a railway embankment to the V2B line. I did have a couple of colonies beyond the shed.
Again this area is now much different after 13 years and is rambling mess of a wilding area which I do little to bar thinning down vigourous weeds.
DSCF0018.JPG

Part of my garden which is terraced into 6 sections gardening was my main solice untill I found beekeeping.
Photo of lawn area going down to a wildflower area .
IMG_0959.jpeg

I am lucky to have an acre of garden and my wife and I spend most of our time in it so here are a few photos
IMG_20231117_102855562_HDR.jpgMy house and garden room

IMG_20231117_103034696_HDR.jpgMy shade house as we have little shade.
IMG_20231117_102656963_HDR.jpgThis was a field seven years ago but is now planted with numerous trees
IMG_20231111_110112387.jpgRed oak, then an acer and a sycamore in the background
IMG_20231117_102920908_HDR.jpgMy black geese flying over my annex!
IMG_20231117_103010746_HDR.jpgMy veg garden and two greenhouses
IMG_20231117_102825194_HDR.jpgMy pond and bridge looking out towards my field
IMG_20231117_102627353_HDR.jpgAn ancient withie pit that fills with water over winter and is where the willow was soaked before stripping and weaving
IMG_20231117_102619523_HDR.jpgMy bees tucked away in the corner.

I am lucky to have an acre of garden and my wife and I spend most of our time in it so here are a few photos
View attachment 38140My house and garden room

View attachment 38141My shade house as we have little shade.
View attachment 38142This was a field seven years ago but is now planted with numerous trees
View attachment 38143Red oak, then an acer and a sycamore in the background
View attachment 38144My black geese flying over my annex!
View attachment 38145My veg garden and two greenhouses
View attachment 38146My pond and bridge looking out towards my field
View attachment 38147An ancient withie pit that fills with water over winter and is where the willow was soaked before stripping and weaving
View attachment 38148My bees tucked away in the corner.
Definitely green with envy Eric ... I can see why the two of you spend all your time out there ... lovely.

(It wasn't shown on GW.)
Love it.
I like the idea of a playground in the heart of the garden. But it's a pity that I have little space for that

View attachment 38140My house and garden room

View attachment 38141My shade house as we have little shade.
View attachment 38142This was a field seven years ago but is now planted with numerous trees
View attachment 38143Red oak, then an acer and a sycamore in the background
View attachment 38144My black geese flying over my annex!
View attachment 38145My veg garden and two greenhouses
View attachment 38146My pond and bridge looking out towards my field
View attachment 38147An ancient withie pit that fills with water over winter and is where the willow was soaked before stripping and weaving
View attachment 38148My bees tucked away in the corner.
Your garden is wonderful Enrico. It's a dream garden.

My two photos to share are apparently too large to post!
Hey ho.
(I discovered that I don’t have many “views of the garden” just lots of images of individual blooms and stuff.)

My front garden , approx 30 x 40 ft was in its former life a farmyard - so there is approximately a spades depth of clay over concrete (it must have holes in it otherwise it would not drain as well as it does). It faces due south and is sheltered by stone walls and the L shaped converted barn we live in - so a dry planting paradise. We have laid a weed membrane and gravelled it over and added raised beds to create better planting areas, Roses have thrived and the gaps have been filled with pollinator friendly plants. I have done the same with the rear garden, which was basically a large gravelled parking and turning area and an overgrown lawn and border when we moved here 5 years ago. So moreIMG_0348 2.jpegIMG_0378.jpegIMG_2436.jpegIMG_0758 3.jpegIMG_0381.jpeg raised beds, containers and gravel planting. Interestingly, although I have planted predominantly for pollinators - I did not see that many honey bees foraging - until I planted Borage en mass. I have now covered several areas in the field beyond with old carpet and will mass plant borage there next spring. I have also spent the last few years developing a wild flower meadow area at the bottom of the field beyond the garden which is still a work in progress. I have always been passionate about the natural world - my garden and my bees are just part of that passion.

Latest posts

Back