Aggressive Bees 16 stings in one EAR

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie & Jans Bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I don't know if its me but our bees have been very aggressive both today and yesterday but only to me my wife did not get stung but they caned me big time? Can anybody tell me when a bee stings does it give off any pheromones that make other bees sting the same place?

yeap it does - I've often just smoked the sting area after scraping the sting off

Sorry to 'ear that!! Seriously - yes to your pheramone question. The alarm pheramone that a bee gives off when it stings contains (apparently) 40 different chemical compounds! I am a young beekeeper and was told that if a bee stings me when I am at the hive to smoke the area immediately and, if it's on my hands, to step away and change gloves. The sting if it remains does attract other bees. So maybe only 1 bee didn't like you and all the others were just drawn to the sting - nothing personal!

Hope the swelling goes down quickly and you are not in too much pain.

A good cover is to squirt some fabi spray on the area although I wouldn't advise squirting in the ear! It is so useful to have in your tray of bee items. If your smoker goes out and they are boiling out and you need to get the roof back on, squirt fabi spray. The bees hate it and will go straight back down in the hive. I always keep it with me a an emergency!
This is not an advert just advice!!?
E

I had a can of fabispray once, but I tossed my hive tool into my tool box and it went straight through the side of the can. What a mess!

Sometimes the first indication that a bee has stung is the frantic reaction and angry buzz of nearby bees. There's a similar, but lesser effect when a bee is accidently squashed.
Of course, most of the time the first indication is the pain!

... Can anybody tell me when a bee stings does it give off any pheromones that make other bees sting the same place?

As others have said, yes.

Its one good reason for frequent washing of your suit, and not wearing leather gloves (which hold those scents) ...

Oil of Cloves may be a good 'scent mask' - either a few drops on a flannel to wipe over relevant areas, or, several drops mixed into a light, neutral (cooking?) oil put into a perfume sprayer.

yes - sting sites become target for more stings. you need to wash your suit.

I find this quite interesting and it does seem to be a common notion, in practice I find it makes no difference what so ever and no doubt much to every ones shock and horror my suit can go months without a wash, much the same as the professionals round here.

Note to OP. Maybe worth covering ears when working or near hives?

Chris

I don't know if its me but our bees have been very aggressive both today and yesterday but only to me my wife did not get stung but they caned me big time? Can anybody tell me when a bee stings does it give off any pheromones that make other bees sting the same place?
Here's an example of the effect of alarm pheromone !

newnew003.jpg

This small velvet bag was in my breast pocket . my wife said " Look all all those bees crowding around your pocket!"
I looked down an saw the commotion . I smoked the area , removed the bag and put it under cover (tool box) , carried on with the inspection, bees were their normal sweet tempered selves as soon as !
VM

the first question should be how did you get stung on the ear?
Did you not have a suit on?

A bee inspector came to our association to give a talk. He said that his beesuit is washed everytime. He thinks it is because of this that stingy bees go for the people he is working with and leave him alone.

Seems good advice and not difficult to wash a bee suit. Just goes in the washer while I write my notes up.

must get some of that fabispray tho. Can anyone post a photo so I know what I'm looking for?

In case I am accused of encouraging advertising anyone who would like to recommend a similar product (for times when the smoker goes out) is welcome to post a pic too.

Ta.

Chris on form as usual, having an ear the size of a glove thumb its all about size

Errr, I don't get that. What's it got to do with wearing head and face protection?

Chris

busybee take a water sprayer with you the type that you would spray house plants with. Set it on mist and spray the bees it will keep them down in the box and if you get too hot you can spray it through the veil of your suit.

Maybe worth covering ears when working or near hives?

Eh? What did you say...?
:D

Note to OP. Maybe worth covering ears when working or near hives?

Chris

Thundery, humid weather. No beesuit. Stings.

Put in entrance blocks in perhaps fifteen full boxes including cracking the floors before a storm this morning with the bees rushing home in droves. None were at all impressed and defensive. Properly dressed: suit, boots, nitriles, one sting...to the forearm.

Are the bees normally agressive or by any chance were the thundery showers around. I've found that that kind of weather can send them off the rails.

Back