Aggressive Bees 16 stings in one EAR

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should say I'm not recommending that you don't wash your suits frequently although I can't really see any bee health issues if you only work your own colonies. I think keeping our equipment and any gloves clean is more important and it makes perfect sense when there are several people working or there are close contact visitors to keep all clothing etc clean.

Chris

Morning guys well what a response first of all the stings don't seem to hurt but my ear is going down, I have this morning ordered a new suite with a hat and vale instead of a hood and vail, I am hoping it has more room. Jan was with me during the inspection and she was handling the hives I was taking notes yet it was me that got zaped, on Sat I had 16 in the ear three in the glove this was from our 6 hives in the orchard. Sunday I had 5 in the same ear three in the tummy two in the glove once again I was just taking notes this time it was our two hives at home. It must be something to do with me?

Just one small point about this suit-washing lark...

...now I wear only microfibre beesuits, they are thin and fast-drying. And usually wear a T-shirt under and lightweight trousers. In the UK we have had high humidity much of this season when the weather has been "inspectable".

So, in high humidity a high level of glowing/perspiring/sweating is normal and kit needs washing from the personal hygiene perspective?

Have you considered wearing protective clothing Robbie? If not then there isn't much that's strange about being stung, happens to me all the time when I'm being casual.

Chris

Yes Chris I had a full shreriff suite on wellies gloves done up like a kipper and still the little bugers get me good job I love them Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr tell about the honey mummy??????????????????

I know one beginner who refuses to wash his suit, doesn't take a hint when a lecture on hygienne is given - and is on the verge of being kicked out of a group because of it...talk about thick skinned...and he pongs...

When I was in the Navy if we had a ponger we just use to take them up on deck and hose them down Don't think you could do that these days? You could always say at a meet where's that pong coming from is IT THE HIVE

at our association apiary there's a little pond right in the middle, handy for ponging beeks obviously :D

... Jan was with me during the inspection and she was handling the hives I was taking notes yet it was me that got zaped, on Sat I had 16 in the ear three in the glove this was from our 6 hives in the orchard. Sunday I had 5 in the same ear three in the tummy two in the glove once again I was just taking notes this time it was our two hives at home. It must be something to do with me?

Apart from suit washing, you might consider Chris's comment back on page 1 about scented 'personal care' products.
Certainly sounds as though it would be worth trying to make a deliberate difference in that regard.
Either no smell, or a masking, non-bee-rousing smell (oil of cloves?) seems sensible.

Regarding the suit/gloves washing thing, quite apart from the matter of sting pheromones and potentially spreading disease, there's the matter of smelling like an intruder from a different colony - and we know the bees don't ordinarily welcome those.

Yes Chris I had a full shreriff suite on wellies gloves done up like a kipper and still the little bugers get me good job I love them Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr tell about the honey mummy??????????????????

It might help getting a bigger suit, I dont think my ears even touch the sides of my suit. If it is baggier, any stings will just go through the suit and into thin air, then back out again (I have one of the lightweight suits, and have never had a single sting stuck on the suit).

Yes Chris I had a full shreriff suite on wellies gloves done up like a kipper

Is it defective then? How can you possibly get all those stings on the ear and tummy then?

Seriously, something wrong there, your hood shouldn't be touching anywhere near your ears. Stings though a suit happen but only when you have very little underneath and it presses on your skin, normally arms and shoulders.

Chris

Chris being built for comfort not for speed it tends to happen if I am bent over a hive and the girls can get me through the net/vail I have just ordered a new suite with a round hood and vail instead of the fencing hood with a bit of luck it will keep the side of my face away from the edge. I must say the whole of last year I never got stung mind you we only had two small hives now we have nine?

To avoid being stung when wearing a fencing type veil, I always wear a wide brimmed hat under it. Then the veil is well away from any vulnerable areas. Chaeper than buying a new hood.
Cazza

One thing is almost without doubt, happy bees rarely sting unless you are right in their flight path, nice day, strong flow, bees to busy to waste time.

Chris

Great advice guys I just ordered a new suite with a big hat, I also wash my suite this morning and went to orchard this afternoon put super on hive 5 also checked hive 8 found queen marked her and no stings what so ever? may be there is something in this smell business, the idea that the smell of your sweat changes after you have been stung may well have something in it. Still happy stingless bee keeper today.

To avoid being stung when wearing a fencing type veil, I always wear a wide brimmed hat under it. Then the veil is well away from any vulnerable areas. Chaeper than buying a new hood.
Cazza

or, forget buying a fencing style veil, and purchase a round hat stylie one in the first place!!
saves wearing 2 hats!¬!

or, forget buying a fencing style veil, and purchase a round hat stylie one in the first place!!
saves wearing 2 hats!¬!

True but they aren't so stylish looking and I wear a hat to keep my hair under control as well which a round hat stylie doesn't do. Horses for courses.
C

Back