New queen/failing old queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DorsetNewBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I would welcome opinions on this: I checked my two hives for the first time yesterday. One is full of healthy looking bees, eggs, larvae, nectar, pollen, drones. The other is also full of bees which are very active bringing in pollen and nectar, but there is very little brood. The marked queen was not seen but I did find an unmarked one (which could have been the same one if the paint has worn off, I know that has been known to happen). There was also what looked like a partly torn down queen cell which led me to believe that this could have been a supercedure. If that is the case then this queen could be newly mated, or about to be mated, and might start to lay so I would leave them alone for at least a fortnight. If I am wrong though this could be a failing queen. Would you advise me to put some eggs from the strong hive into this one so that the bees could make another queen if necessary? I don't want to weaken the strong hive too much but I thought some eggs or perhaps one frame of BIAS might be a good idea. What does everyone think? Many thanks.

did you see any eggs/larvae in the hive? if so, how much, and in what stages of development
No I didn't. There was some sealed drone brood, so this queen could perhaps be failing - or else this is her successor and maybe the hive will turn itself around on its own. I'm just not sure whether or not my diagnosis is correct.

No I didn't. There was some sealed drone brood
so there was a laying queen present three weeks ago, you can but hope that the queen you found was a new one and that she'll get to meet the boys before too long. I'd leave well alone for a few weeks and see what transpires

so there was a laying queen present three weeks ago, you can but hope that the queen you found was a new one and that she'll get to meet the boys before too long. I'd leave well alone for a few weeks and see what transpires
Thank you very much. I will do that.

No I didn't. There was some sealed drone brood, so this queen could perhaps be failing - or else this is her successor and maybe the hive will turn itself around on its own. I'm just not sure whether or not my diagnosis is correct.
Quite possibly a supersedure queen from last autumn that failed to mate

Quite possibly a supersedure queen from last autumn that failed to mate
Perhaps, I will just have to be patient and see what happens. There are so many bees in the hive though, that somebody was laying until relatively recently although I know winter bees live for a lot longer. Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps, I will just have to be patient and see what happens. There are so many bees in the hive though, that somebody was laying until relatively recently although I know winter bees live for a lot longer. Thank you for your reply.
Please report back later on about what happens to this colony. :)

Back