AFB management

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladaok

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
can you answer some simple questions

1) do you fella's have to belong to a club / similar to own working hives

2) who administers disease control, Government or non Governmental organizations

3) do you pay any fees for disease control

4) are your hives registered to an area / person is there a data base of all known hives

5) is there any inducement for a hive owner to come forward if they suspect a disease

6 ) is there any statutory compulsion to have passed some simple training in the art of recognizing, a possible problem disease or otherwise

7) are there any better / worse systems other countries employ

Thanks

1 no
2 government through National Bee Unit
3 no
4 Voluntary
5 no inducement but statutory legal obligation to report EFB and AFB to authority there is a website provide by the Authorities showing where disease has been reported
6 no
7 EFB not notifiable disease in other EU countries

regards James

1 no
2 government through National Bee Unit
3 no
4 Voluntary
5 no inducement but statutory legal obligation to report EFB and AFB to authority there is a website provide by the Authorities showing where disease has been reported
6 no
7 EFB not notifiable disease in other EU countries

regards James

Thank you James

Question (5) in any ones opinion, what would entice beekeepers to make a positive decision to alert an authority of a possible case of AFB rather than ignore or try and hide ...I think if there is positive out come for the afflicted keeper, that nothing is lost, and an education program these diseases would be well on the way to possible eradication. ...In your countries case, means a total ban on any live bee, honey and second hand equipment

any thoughts please ....thanks

There is no ‘inducement’. Not required. It is a statutory legal obligation.

Or, do you not understand the meaning of that phrase?

The problem is whether people recognise a nasty disease. Our association (and I think others will do as well) arrange training days with the relevant government department to cover disease and apiary hygiene. (https://aberdeenbeekeepers.net/2017/05/23/bee-health-awareness-day/)

Those belonging to a beekeepers’ association are also covered by insurance. I don’t know how generous the cover is.

Last edited:
There is an insurance, BDI, which covers brood diseases. Not exactly an inducement, but may help ease the pain.

There is an insurance, BDI, which covers brood diseases. Not exactly an inducement, but may help ease the pain.

FORTUNATELY No experience of BDI.
I understand it is limited to full BBKA members and is insurance for notifiable ( AFB and EFB) disease identified by a government inspector for hobbyists and provides very low cover for less than 40 colonies... then only covers loss of frames and foundation... not bees and equipment, honey or any consequential loss due to the disease.

Moot point for Beefarmers is that although UK Government provides a scheme for other farmers keeping "food producing stock" ( Dairy Beef Pig etc etc) with a facility for the insurance company to claim back insured losses from the Government ( TB, Foot and Mouth, Mad cow disease, Swine vesicular fever, bird flu etc... notifiable diseases with destruction orders) on behalf of the Farmer.... bees are excluded... and it is nye on impossible to insure bees against the notifiable disease!!!

My personal view is that ALL beekeepers should have compulsory registration and prove some level of competence before being allowed to keep bees.... and as with other food producing stock... the paperwork.. herd numbers, movement licenses etc etc should apply.... and that is for EVERY colony... even Heidie's Sun hive and Montie's coffin box!

Yeghes da

Thank you James

Question (5) in any ones opinion, what would entice beekeepers to make a positive decision to alert an authority of a possible case of AFB rather than ignore or try and hide ...I think if there is positive out come for the afflicted keeper, that nothing is lost, and an education program these diseases would be well on the way to possible eradication. ...In your countries case, means a total ban on any live bee, honey and second hand equipment

any thoughts please ....thanks

There is a positive outcome for the beekeeper in that he gets his stock checked out, diseased colonies eradicated and non-diseased colonies saved, monitoring to ensure non-recurrence and all for free. Our bee inspectors are nice, friendly, knowledgeable people. Why would you not report diseased bees in those circumstances?

There is a positive outcome for the beekeeper in that he gets his stock checked out, diseased colonies eradicated and non-diseased colonies saved, monitoring to ensure non-recurrence and all for free. Our bee inspectors are nice, friendly, knowledgeable people. Why would you not report diseased bees in those circumstances?

BECAUSE,, there is a cohort of beekeepers who move around in the shadows and avoid all officialdom or what they deem to be interference in their life by BIG BROTHER.
AND a few that possibly ignorant and maybe are simply oblivious to the very few Laws that cover keeping bees.

This year alone I have discovered three keepers of bees in my area alone who were not on Beebase ( and unfortunately seemed to be clueless on bee management)

My personal view is that ALL beekeepers should have compulsory registration and prove some level of competence before being allowed to keep bees.... and as with other food producing stock... the paperwork.. herd numbers, movement licenses etc etc should apply.... and that is for EVERY colony.

I have a lot of sympathy for this view but there will always be those claiming too much state interference and, where will the next generation of beekeepers come from? Also, how will it be financed?
On the whole, I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, but, that assumes impartial oversight.....something that is looking increasingly questionable.

My personal view is that ALL beekeepers should have compulsory registration and prove some level of competence before being allowed to keep bees...

Yeghes da

Good heavens!

Over 90% outof beekeepers are 2 hive owners, and that hobby should be licenced!

Must be important hobby that beekeeping in UK.

Our system used to rely on bee inspectors having a close relationship with the beekeepers in their patch and a good grasp of local knowledge and the usual suspects, although this may still be a feature in some areas it seems funding cuts and poor management have pushed the whole inspecting gig more towards box ticking .

Good heavens!

Over 90% outof beekeepers are 2 hive owners, and that hobby should be licenced!

Must be important hobby that beekeeping in UK.

Crikey my little Finnish sweetheart!

You should see the hoops that one has to jump through to fly a DRONE.... or get a license to drive a powerful motorcycle... both "hobbies" apparently!!!

Yeghes da

Crikey my little Finnish sweetheart!

You should see the hoops that one has to jump through to fly a DRONE.... or get a license to drive a powerful motorcycle... both "hobbies" apparently!!!

Yeghes da

Laari laari laa.
Isoisä saa isoäidin
Kaikuvi suloinen Suomeni maa.

Last edited:
This year alone I have discovered three keepers of bees in my area alone who were not on Beebase ( and unfortunately seemed to be clueless on bee management)

I think NBU reckon about 40% of beekeepers aren't registered on Beebase. Not certain about this and - of course - it's difficult to verify. Anyone know better?

I'm afraid I also know several beekeepers who are Beebase registered ... but are also clueless ;)

So in future it is easier to keep bees in chimney than in the good hive on backyard.

Compost bin will be quite good too.

Last edited:
Isn't it interesting though , we all want to control disease ,the NBU is particularly active and keen ,yet the EFB and AFB test kits are outrageously expensive.
Bearing in mind all the excitement and hot air spouted by politicians and the media regarding pollinator s and their decline,if there was ever a case for a subsidy towards the cost this is it .
Test it ,call the bee inspector for help, dealt with.
However too many selfish or stupid beekeepers want to stay under the radar
There's no shame in admitting a problem with disease after all the diseases can be transmitted by a sole foreign drone visiting your hives

Isn't it interesting though , we all want to control disease ,the NBU is particularly active and keen ,yet the EFB and AFB test kits are outrageously expensive.

Much better to buy a decent microscope, one off cost, last a lifetime and can be used to spot other diseases/parasites of the bees.

Less than £6 for one here (although temporary out of stock at the mo).
£9 at Thrones...not sure I'd consider these outrageously expensive, less than the proceeds from selling 2 jars of honey.
Get it done for free if you call your NBU and tell them you think you have foulbrood.

Latest posts

Back