A quote for foundation - recent experience

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Needed 14x12 and checked prices from several suppliers. C. Wynne came out best and I ordered from them. When they arrived, I was surprised to see the foundation sent by C. Wynne was Thornes.
S

C.WynneJones is a T outlet. Their wax, frames, brood boxes etc are all big T stock.

I have used KBS for almost 30 years and never had a problem.

When people tell me they are having problems having foundation drawn I ask where is it from. If it is not KBS and (never has been so far) I point them in that direction or sell them a few sheets and problem solved.

KISS

PH

I don't see why you didn't just stick with KBS in the first place. The best quality, great service, stick with what you know.

Wants his cake, eat it, and not put any weight on!

Still, with the ramping going on in this thread I'm sure he'll get a tasty discount next time :)

As the owner of a small business, I have always been taught NOT to be the cheapest, but to position my product and its pricing in accordance with its perceived quality. (There will always be newcomers offering cheaper prices. Look for them in a year or two and they will not be there.)

Often, customers and potential customers wishing to haggle from the start are those that are the most difficult to deal with and never come up with the future business they initially promise. The line 'if you give me a good deal on this then there could be a longer-term better deal' translates as, 'I want your best price now, when I am ordering in larger volumes I will want an even better price, and if you don't offer it I will go elsewhere.'

As you have found, if you want high quality product and good service then you are unlikely to be wanting the cheapest.

I don't think in my experience he was the cheapest but he used to be able to offer very good discounts for bulk. Maybe not quite so good now but still handy and the quality..... well.... I think he sets the benchmark and I am very happy to pay a bit more for a better product.

PH

Wants his cake, eat it,

+ couple of extra sheets from all the suppliers mug enough to give them away free to anyone dangling the carrot of a large "Potential" order.
:sifone:
Presumably we all ignore the emails from African Princes with short term cash-flow problems, good for Maisies!

Reading this thread reminds me of a notice a former boss had hanging on his wall. It said something like "People ask me if I can supply goods at a low price, of good quality and immediately. I tell them I can but can only meet any two of the three conditions"

CVB

Can I ask what you pay for wax in the UK?

If you were thinking of importing to the EU you had better act quickly.

I imagine the Spanish will be putting an embargo on all things British as soon as we leave, (should make flights out of Gibraltar a little more exciting too)!

Not wishing to be a flame but by the tone of some of this thread maisies et all have ducked a picky customer.
I used to do wax exchange for my foundation with maisemores and found them to be straight up fellas to deal with.

I imagine the Spanish will be putting an embargo on all things British as soon as we leave, (should make flights out of Gibraltar a little more exciting too)!

More curiousity really, I pay around £10 per kilo. I'm not so sure if things will be as bad as you think. Ok maybe Gib might be tough but but certainly Portugal and Spain rely on the UK for tourism, many many immigrants live and work in the UK. I just cant see they would want to make things difficult just in the name of the EU.

It seems that Wynne's are short on foundation I wanted 20 packs of 14x12 and drone shallow but they have none and do not know when they will get it. Is there a shortage or are they big company's holding back to up the price?.

Not for the A10s or Apache Longbow helicopters

It seems that Wynne's are short on foundation I wanted 20 packs of 14x12 and drone shallow but they have none and do not know when they will get it. Is there a shortage or are they big company's holding back to up the price?.

There is a general shortage of decent beeswax at the moment. Some suppliers are a bit hand to mouth.

FWIW I think all the main UK wax processors do a decent job and distinguishing them on quality is merely a personal impression you each have of the companies themselves.

Have used Peter Kemble a lot over the years and his wax is very good....albeit he gets swamped by business at times and deliveries can slip dramatically. Currently its all being done at Thornes...and they are doing an excellent job on our wax.

The bees are less picky than some of their keepers.

I hear on't rumor mill that one of the big UK suppliers has a mega order of a full container load of foundation for abroad (Africa) and intends to fill it before sending out to other people. Be nice if they simply said there will be a delay rather than take your money and let you wait.

Latest posts

Back