woodpecker protection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
what is the easiest, most straightforward method of protection from woodpeckers?

be intrigued to hear approaches to this

thanks in anticipation

(i was thinking of some chicken wire nailed to a couple of pieces of pallet placed around hive, but thought id ask before setting about it)

chicken wire.. whcih looks horrible.

I have started using fibreglass resin on roofs...v tough...

Plastic mesh strawberry netting (easier to store, cover and uncover hives compared with chicken wire)

Attachments

• plastic mesh sheet covering several hives.JPG
    plastic mesh sheet covering several hives.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 81
thanks all

exactly why i asked, very helpful

attracted by the strawberry netting as easy to store....

masterBk

do you just leave it loose rather than pin down at the sides etc? seen the bricks on top...

Leave it loose. Bricks are there mainly to keep the roof from being blown off but also keep the netting more or less in place.

Alternatively I use the outers from growbags with strips that move in the wind (stops them getting a grip and green woodpeckers are rather nervous birds and easily put off by movement).

Attachments

• DSCF2017.JPG
    DSCF2017.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Leave it loose. Bricks are there mainly to keep the roof from being blown off but also keep the netting more or less in place.

Alternatively I use the outers from growbags with strips that move in the wind (stops them getting a grip and green woodpeckers are rather nervous birds and easily put off by movement).

excellent

thanks for that

I'm currently working on some slip over covers made from pond liner, my hives are all Poly and easily damaged by Professor Yaffle. Having stabbed the crap out of it with a sharp screwdriver and not broken through it and only dented the poly slightly I'm confident they will do the job and will be so easy to flatten, store and reuse each year.
I've tried fruit netting and last year made lots of chicken wire cages but they are a pain to store, should I need to add fondant mid winter, give winter Varroa vapes these covers will be perfect.

Back