Current trends in mite treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it the queen has the ability to express genes in response to stresses that the colony comes under. So very quickly the gene expression

I am just a jumped up bricky but didn’t think we or bees could turn on/ off a gene induced predisposition. hopefully someone with the knowledge can qualify or correct what we think we understand. B+ Is One person I believe has the knowledge and there will be others I’m sure. . I intend contacting the breeder I buy from and asking ( they may be on the forum )

I use one of these instead of a heavy battery.

They look convenient. How long do they last? I have 7 hives currently I don't really want to have to recharge it before I have treated all hives on any given day if its avoidable - mind you, I dont know how long a car battery would last either :)

I am just a jumped up bricky but didn’t think we or bees could turn on/ off a gene induced predisposition. hopefully someone with the knowledge can qualify or correct what we think we understand. B+ Is One person I believe has the knowledge and there will be others I’m sure. . I intend contacting the breeder I buy from and asking ( they may be on the forum )

Gene expression is the process by which the instructions in our DNA are converted into a functional product, such as a protein.
  • When the information stored in our DNA? is converted into instructions for making proteins? or other molecules, it is called gene expression?.
  • Gene expression is a tightly regulated process that allows a cell to respond to its changing environment.
  • It acts as both an on/off switch to control when proteins are made and also a volume control that increases or decreases the amount of proteins made.
  • There are two key steps involved in making a protein, transcription and translation.
or try this

https://www.pnas.org/content/100/suppl_2/14519

I’ve not looked at the link but as no hive is ever likely to be varroa free even after treatments, is it likely to cause an issue?

They look convenient. How long do they last? I have 7 hives currently I don't really want to have to recharge it before I have treated all hives on any given day if its avoidable - mind you, I dont know how long a car battery would last either :)
Mine does three hives comfortably. It’s not the most powerful one available though. There was a discussion on here last year, I think about the various models available. Dani has one.

Reactions: Niv
Gene expression is the process by which the instructions in our DNA are converted into a functional product, such as a protein.
  • When the information stored in our DNA? is converted into instructions for making proteins? or other molecules, it is called gene expression?.
  • Gene expression is a tightly regulated process that allows a cell to respond to its changing environment.
  • It acts as both an on/off switch to control when proteins are made and also a volume control that increases or decreases the amount of proteins made.
  • There are two key steps involved in making a protein, transcription and translation.
or try this

https://www.pnas.org/content/100/suppl_2/14519

But Mark, you are not able to read official raports

Not sure if it’s what finman ment . But I struggled with this one… to many refs to tec jargon that ment nothing to me. A bit like a 5 year old reading that air contains co2 , H20 etc
But thank you for the link .
The Salford uni one was about my limit

Not sure if it’s what finman ment . But I struggled with this one… to many refs to tec jargon that ment nothing to me. A bit like a 5 year old reading that air contains co2 , H20 etc
But thank you for the link .
The Salford uni one was about my limit
.that is very new information, that air contains carbon diokside and water. And even etc! Talent!
But Ed the Beek writes nonsense.

One step is to read and second, very difficult step is to understand the thing. And without basic knowledge you understand nothing.

If you want to get varroa tolerant bees, you not need protein formulas.

I have read 20 years from forums, how to breed your own antivarroa breed. And the explanation hss been alhaisempi the same: do not treat varroa.... but the purpose of beekeeping hobby is not to kill hives.

Last edited:
One step is to read and second, very difficult step is to understand the thing. And without basic knowledge you understand nothing.
Which is why I for one appreciate it, when you make clear statements and offer dependable advice in easily understood terminology .based on your understanding, assessment and conclusions from the study of these papers

Which is why I for one appreciate it, when you make clear statements and offer dependable advice in easily understood terminology .based on your understanding, assessment and conclusions from the study of these papers

Which is, I have studied biology in university 5 years, and I know a little bit better biology than ordinary beekeeper. Question is not about terminology but about funktionsa behind the termi.

If you shout evolution to help your bee breeding on British Isles, It is not possible.
When the beekeeper selects, It is not then evolution.

My friend arranged hygienic bee genes from USA, but none of those new colonies survived over New Year.

A year ago same friend bought mite resistant queens from Italy. All colonies started swarming in Spring and he shaked his head: no, no, no.
What I mean, mite killing is not the only feature, which productive bee stock must fullfill.

My friend arranged hygienic bee genes from USA, but none of those new colonies survived over New Year.

A year ago same friend bought mite resistant queens from Italy. All colonies started swarming in Spring and he shaked his head: no, no, no.
What I mean, mite killing is not the only feature, which productive bee stock must fullfill.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you the experience of your friend is the type of information I was seeking from uk hobo you keepers in my original question on vhs queens

I’m interested in other beeks real life experience of Vsh queens .compared with non Vsh queens in the same year.

Mine does three hives comfortably. It’s not the most powerful one available though. There was a discussion on here last year, I think about the various models available. Dani has one.

Great thanks for the feedback. It seems a lot less hassle than carrying a car battery around and keeping it healthy. Cheaper too as i would need a battery and a charger!

I went with apiguard on all my full colonies despite the bbka fella saying it would stop my queen's laying and I shouldn't use it in autumn.

All nucs got apistan as I don't have ekes for them and the strips are convenient.

Plan to OA Vape during the winter so have a gas vap just need to get the ppe.
I was concerned at the amount of vapour wafting away.
I now put a duvet cover over the whole hive when vaping OA.
Works very well.

I was concerned at the amount of vapour wafting away.
You expect some sublimate to drift away - it just means there's plenty billowing around inside
I now put a duvet cover over the whole hive
That woon't make things any better as the sublimate has already left the hive and is now deposited on your duvet.
I never bother with anything like that
Works very well

Latest posts

Back