Current trends in mite treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used apiguard last year but an trying apilife var this year - saves using an eke.

I want to try oxalic acid vap - I have the main bit of kit but no battery or oxalic acid crystals. Have been looking for a guide / video as the guys in my local BKA seem a bit anti it so not aware of anyone to speak to there.

I used apiguard last year but an trying apilife var this year - saves using an eke.

I want to try oxalic acid vap - I have the main bit of kit but no battery or oxalic acid crystals. Have been looking for a guide / video as the guys in my local BKA seem a bit anti it so not aware of anyone to speak to there.

Plenty of guides on YouTube

Black Mountain Honey has several good ones on vaping

So do the other usual suspects I'm sure

Reactions: Niv

I use one of these instead of a heavy battery.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 56

For power source ebay or amazon and look for lion 6000mah 12v car battery booster starter comes in a neat little case with lead attachments, it will be suitable for a vape pan. It may have a cut out timer on it of about 2.5mins so one may just have to reset it again to finish off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niv
Solder a 15mm endcap (plumbing copper) to a bit of copper pipe for a measure spoon, the 15mm end cap takes approx, 1.4 - 1.6gms of powder. Use 2 -3gms of powder per vape, heat the pan for 3 mins - 3.5mins and then disconnect the power, leave for another 3 or 4 mins then remove (it may still be very warm). Cool with a little water before using on another hive.

Apivar now and OA trickle in December. Apivar is effective and easy to apply and can’t see why it is ‘foul’. There is anecdotal ’evidence’ of isolated resistance but I haven’t seen anything scientific. Plan to graduate to OA vapourisation now I have more experience..

Exactly what I do. Two different types of treatment in one year stops the little buggers in their tracks.

I don’t treat only with essential oils a combination of various oils including Thyme .99

I don’t treat only with a combination of essential oils...Marjoram /Thyme/Clove.....Biggest Mite drop is with Garlic oil ..Screen boards placed in with cotton pads impregnated with above...
Ever had a read of Ross Conrads book natural beekeeping?

I don’t treat only with essential oils a combination of various oils including Thyme .99

I don’t treat only with a combination of essential oils...Marjoram /Thyme/Clove.....Biggest Mite drop is with Garlic oil ..Screen boards placed in with cotton pads impregnated with above...
Do you have any hives ? your tag suggests not, just a thought. Of course not everyone lists their hives .

One of the confusions is regarding the importance of knowing each colony's mite load before treating. This is contradicted by the fact that apparently, all colonies have mites and that if you treat one of your colonies you also need to treat the others in order to avoid re-infestation. So what's the point of assessing them first? Shouldn't we just treat?

I planned to do an assessment befor treating but things got in the way so I don’t and treated anyway 3 days after second vape and one hive has a drop of 3 so far in total and the other 12 mites counted .
right now I’m pleased I have killed some but questioning whether my oa / method is effective.
i will defiantly sugar shake after treatment to check apparent load but as I have nothing to compare it with I could almost be treating for no reason. So at the minuet I’m pleased I didn’t go with apistan.

I vape my bees this month again in January and again in March April time job done for me nothing elce needed unless I see obvious signs of bad infestation. Sometimes apigaurd in summer. Rarely. In fact I vaped some today. I start the year at zero count and just forget about it for the summer

Last edited:
I don't do counts either I look at my bees to judge it. My late treatments don't usually show huge mite loads anyway

Latest posts

Back