Will you be trickle feeding Oxalic Acid over the 2010/11 Winter period?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be trickle feeding Oxalic Acid over the 2010/11 Winter period?

• Yes

Votes: 113 57.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 29.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 25 12.7%

• Total voters
Finma, list,

I know that oxalic acid is a very good varroa-icide.

There are quite a lot who do not want to follow your route,

It was basically our fault that this parasite has spread around the world so quickly. We should be trying to reverse that 'faut pas' - no, serious dereliction of 'duty of care'.

The truly wild (unmanaged) honey bees would have been extinct by now if it were not for beekeepers losing swarms.

Regards, RAB

I can only say Rab, stop drinking. I have kept you reasonable guy. Your head is not clear.

You really are so important that you have an influence on worldwide on bees and its disease.

Mine seem to be dropping about 50-70/ day now on apistan, so I think I've taken the edge off it- but I think I'm going to have to be brave and OA

Latest update- daily drops this week 6, 13, 7, 2, 0, 0, 0. :party:

I was going to treat reluctantly, not least as my queen is now in her 3rd year and may well have had 2 treatments already. I am now thinking that the mite count must be pretty negligible so I'm now planning not to treat, but will monitor carefully in the spring.

Thats very good new Skyhook.

I'm still in the will I/wont I camp, but veering towards treating. I know what positives OA can do for the bees, but few negatives beyond general perceptions that its nasty stuff - which in itself is a decent argument but I don't think outweighs the hard facts of mite killing.

Or, its quite possible I've missed something somewhere, is there actual proof regarding damage to bees, either immediately on treating or longer term (and how long as most of the winter bees will be dead early in spring anyway:Angel_anim:)

PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE

To treat or not to treat .. is that the question ?
Dammed if I do and dammed if I don't ?
Between a rock and a hard place

Then there is the percentage of probabilities !

I have read as much as I can and it would seem that if Varroa mite is seen then treat with OA, if the mite has not been seen it is possibly either not there at all or is resistant to thymol based treatments.
Surely if the mite is present at least one two or a few will have dropped thru the mesh???
Did I mention that I photograph each frame of bees so I can look at them closely at my leisure in close up on the PC?

out of the frying pan into ther fire

Photographing frames and perusing the photos at leasure seems a bit pointless. It would take me longer to hold a frame and take a snap than it would to quickly scan it, read what I saw and put it back
There are no documented cases of varroa mites being resistant to thymol based treatments that I know of - Icanhopit perhaps you should re-evaluate how much you can read

out of the frying pan into ther fire

Photographing frames and perusing the photos at leasure seems a bit pointless. It would take me longer to hold a frame and take a snap than it would to quickly scan it, read what I saw and put it back
There are no documented cases of varroa mites being resistant to thymol based treatments that I know of - Icanhopit perhaps you should re-evaluate how much you can read

1 I have an eysight problem
2 Thymol... as everone keeps pointing out.. don't get the little mites as hiding under the capped brood.

perhaps since you are far better read obviously than most, you could point us great unwashed in the right directin please?

Because thymol does not kill varroa mites which are in capped brood,does not make those mites resistant to the thymol. There is only one chemical treatment that will kill a proportion of mites in sealed brood if used correctly in the right concentration.

Hivemaker , do I get top of the class for identifying formic as the mites in brood busting stuff ?
Icanhopit , i only suggested re-evaluation of reading because of the thymol resistance comment , which afaik is rubbish

It is because thymol does not kill mites in sealed brood that thymol treatments have to be spread over a minimum of about 4 weeks. By doing it over this long period even mites hiding in drone brood will get exposed to the thymol when they eventually emerge with the drones.

Oxalic acid is not suitable for prolonged or repeated use except when done at very low levels such as is done with products like Hive Clean and Varroa Gard. When used in a strong solution it is at its most effective when done during a broodless or near broodless period.

Neither thymol or oxalic acid are 100% effective but this does not mean some of the mites are resistant or at least no one has discovered resistance to these chemicals yet - in the way it has been for treatments like Apistan and Apivar, although resistance to the latter is not widespread I believe - yet.

As for detecting varroa. If I actually see varroa on bees then I know I have a serious case and should have treated weeks ago. The only reliable test in my view (apart from a Beltsville) is to treat effectively and see what falls out of the hive. Varroa left in the hive will do far more damage than any perceived impact of treatment.

Last edited:
As for detecting varroa. If I actually see varroa on bees then I know I have a serious case and should have treated weeks ago.

Last time I got to that stage I found it was too late, spotting varroa on bees as you say means its gone too far normally.

As a general thing on the results/voting, just because 39% may not be doing OA it dont mean they are doing nothing - this is important to remember.

JD

Last edited:
jezd,

You are so right. There are other ways. Finman's point of mites always being there is rather stating the obvious. There are still some mites, even after oxalic treatment, but one does not treat again, just for that reason.

I just make sure that if I do an oxalic acid treatment, it is going to do more good (kill more mites) than the potential harm to the colony by those mites already present.

I can and do keep infestation levels in check by other methods, and still would not rely on a once-a-year treatment only. So I have both the mite levels fairly severely under control and have no potential deleterious effects of oxalic acid treatment to worry about either.

That may mean some of my bees might yet be treated this winter - the first time in about five years. I do know of some colonies which do not need it and will not be treated, however.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
I know too a guy who has breeded varroa tolerant bees 10 years. Now he has hives where varroa does not propagate. But last winter he lost 40% of hives. And hundreds of hives which he has lost before.

Who needs these advices? Beginners, who does not much understan beekeeping and diseases.
Why experienced beeks want to push the beginners to unknowns waters where only some have survived.

one guy said: let them kill the hives and I sell them new ones.

In France there is a famous bee stock where are no mites. But the hives are so mad that you cannot nurse them. The last sentence is not reported in internet. I just heard from a beek who has those 15 hives.

Finman,

I have not said my bees are varroa tolerant - although some colonies seem to have lighter mite loadings than others. What I am saying is what I do.

I am afraid that a one-sided discussion, where there is only one way to achieve a good result, is not a discussion, it is more like preaching.

New beeks should be sensible enough to make up their own minds as to treating with oxalic or not. A beekeeper should be able to weigh 'pros' against 'cons'. If they need wet nursing all the time, they will never ever make a beekeeper proper.

It may well be the case that they are not yet experienced enough to make the decision of when, or when not, to treat. in which case it is obvious for them to err on the side of caution, and treat. Not a difficult decision to make, that one. Nothing to do with how many mites, just whether they know or don't. There will be a lot that don't know.

But please don't go denigrating me, and those others who do not treat automatically, when they consider it to be non-advantageous to do so; and possibly a far better option than treating unecessarily for a small number of mites when there may be other factors to be taken into account, most of which a lot of new beeks will not have heard of, or might not understand the arguments for and against a particular course of action.

If I treat all my colonies with oxalic acid, the mite levels will all start the new season at a low level, but yes, they will build up all the same. Some of mine may start the season with a few more (than that low level) but will very likely end the season with far less than a lot of colonies would, by not simply relying on a single treatment which is what you seem to be suggesting to everyone.

You can go on about it until you are blue in the face, it will not alter my take on the varroa situation.

So let's just agree that if they don't know any better, they should do an oxalic acid treatment. I think that covers it nicely, thank you very much.

Perhaps a bit too blunt for many new beeks (and maybe some others) out there reading this, but if the actually think about it that is top and bottom line of the argument.

Regards, RAB

Hi,

I'm running two hives on brood and a half for the first time.

As the frames don’t exactly line up from the half to the main brood box, how sould I treat with OA?

If I trickle the OA over a line of bee on the top half, it may well simply drop down onto a bar of a frame below and therefore miss the bees in the main brood body.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

My advice would be to run the same type of frame in both boxes for future years? Or maybe change to a format where one box is adequate for over-wintering.

BTW, not good forrm making the same post in several different threads (OK, only two - so far). If it that important, you should, in the future, consider starting a new thread. As it is you may well get fragmented replies. Who knows where the bees will be by the time you treat; you will just have make the best of it. Just don't treat excessively - not good for the bees.

RAB

Rab ,Ive decided to reply to your post No 28.I've ploughed thro your lengthy dissertations on OA treatment of varroa and come to the conclusion you are self opionated and closed minded.As for being a thoughtful and concientious beekeeper- pomposity comes to mind.You seem to be an expert on everything,I suggest a little humility might be in order.Don't forget,if you close your fist to point a finger at me.then you are pointing three fingers at yourself.

johna,

What category of beekeeper do you place yourself O90 ?.Perhaps you are making contentious statements just to be offensive ?.

My reply was to your previous post (#23), to where you asked the question above, along with the following suggestion.

I did answer and also asked you the same. You have either ignored the question or perhaps don't have a clue.

Having not even argued your supposed point (not even one example, did you quote!) but it has taken you over three weeks to make the same suggestion of me, as I did of you (your post #23) where you said:

Awful load of guff spoken about the negative effects of O.A. The best policy is to treat using 3 1/2% solution .Its a well researched method of controlling mite infestation with no chance of the mites developing resistance to the treatment.Even if you can't see varroa the chance is that it is present so why risk your colonies???.If you check on the internet you can see the huge rate that numbers can build up in untreated colonies leading to viral infections and the demise or destruction of the stock.I value my colonies too highly to leave alone and not to treat.

I at least argued my case. Here is an in depth anaysis of your post #23.

Guff - lets be hearing about it, not just insinuation. Justify your statement. Nothing to back up this statement, not even one example, let alone 'loads'.

Best policy - your opinion, and that of many more. BUT NOT ALL by any means.

the chance is that it is present - what a revelation! I am not expecting it to disappear, magically, after 18 years, spreading almost totally across the UK. I don't think there are many who do. However you are still advocating automatic oxalic acid treatment for those who are lucky enought to be totally varroa free?

why risk your colonies? You are saying I do? If you are, once more you are wrong again! I do not risk my colonies by not treating with oxalic acid. So perhaps you might retract/modify that, too?

huge rate that numbers can build up in untreated colonies - what a load of old tosh! The rate is governed by the brood cycle length - anyone who knows anything about varroa should know that! It matters not a jot whether the colony was 'treated' or 'untreated', the rate of build up is the same - they very nearly double every brood cycle. Or perhaps your bees have a different length brood cycle after treatment? The huge numbers are simply a matter of time - obviously far too long between the last treatment and intervention from the 'beekeeper'.

leading to viral infections and the demise or destruction of the stock - do you know, I agree with you there. But if those people, who inflict that fate on their colonies, had actually done something about it before the 'demise or destruction', it may well not have occurred! Funny that. I have not treated with oxalic acid for the past 5 years and have not lost colonies to the mite in that time, although the rate of incease in my colonies would be nearly exactly, on average, the same as in yours.

I value my colonies too highly to leave alone and not to treat - Well surprise, surprise, so do I! The singular difference is that I treat differently than you. Likely the same or similar outcome, mine likely being better than yours if, as you seem to indicate from your post, you rely on oxalic acid treatment for 'all-year-round protection'. I don't actually suppose you do, but that is what you are implying and the tacit message given out to new beeks. As a further benefit, my colonies have not had to contend with any 'possible downsides' of oxalic acid treatment. And there are some.

So, you can now perhaps understand what I thought of your posting on that occasion.. I, rather diplomatically, only responded to the 'rate' issue in my post #24.

My singular contentious statement obviously brought you 'out of the woodwork' after three weeks, but am still wondering which category you fit into, obviously not making a living at it (with just 10 colonies), so I will just have to guess, I suppose. Here is what I suggested,

All in all, IMO those that advocate automatic oxalic treatment fall into one or more of a few categories - those making a living, but not all of them, (include here those who re-queen each year with inappropriate queens which just give a heavy crop and then the colony succumbs to the climate), those relying on a single chemical dose for the year, those who are too lazy to look after their bees for the greater parts of the colony cycle and a few others maybe. YOU don't want to be included in those groups, as they will never be assisting the bees to make the adjustments obviously required for life with the mite. They are simply honey makers or further disease makers, not responsible beekeepers, IMO.

You will note the inclusion of 'IMO', both at the beginning and end of that. So nothing more than my opinion. But again, if the cap fits, wear it.

RAB

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back