wholesale price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgia b

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i was just wondering what the price of honey was wholesale, as i've just had an enquiry from a local shop for some of my honey?

thanks
georgia

i was just wondering what the price of honey was wholesale, as i've just had an enquiry from a local shop for some of my honey?

thanks
georgia

Are you going to be jaring it? If so then has to be £5 imo, £4.50 at the least. after spending this afternoon extracting my first super and cleaning everything out I really think it is worth it now! Do you know what he has currently be selling it for? How much are you going to be supplying him with?

Also how valuable is it to you??

Depends on what volume you are producing and how good a year you have had.
I think you'll find it difficult to get £5/lb wholesale.
£3 is more realistic.
You have to remember that if the retailer can't sell the product once he's added his cut on then he won't buy from you again.

I have just sold 24 1lb jars to a local shop @ £4/ lb.
they are selling it @ £4.99

I am happy with that :)

I would advise caution ...

You could sell your honey from the gate, a shop, or in bulk to a processor.

If you sell locally from a shop then the price should match your gate price - this avoids embarrassment for the shop over the markup difference.

If you present your honey well then why not ask 5.50 a pound from the shop and allow the shop a markup. This is what we do and it all sells very easily. They sell @ 6.50 and so that is now our gate price (we sell well from the gate too). You could sell a smaller jar from the gate if it helps you feelings over price and neighbours ...say 12oz for 5 pounds.

If you sell in bulk then I think GBH is right. Bulk prices are less and around 3-3.50 a pound.

Remember place a good value on your product so others can value it too.
It certainly isn't free (how much have you spent on beekeeping this year?),

All the best,
Sam

Crikey ! They must be affluent in Andover......
Here in Sunny Devon I can get £3.50 per lb and the mark up takes it to just under £5 on the shelf.....

Andover folk have been described as many things but affluent isn't usually one of them...

In the last 3 weeks the local shop has taken 34 jars from us...they keep selling and we keep topping them up.

Sold about 25 from the gate in the same period. It is very smartly dressed but it is also recognised as a premium local product full of goodness and local pollen for protection.

Sam

We sell wholesale @£3.75 per 1lb jar and it sells in the shops at £5.00 we had an enquire from a local garden centre they would only pay us £2.00 per 1lb jar and re-sell at £5.50 we declined that offer, i think £3.75- £4.00 is a realistic price in this area but i would love a bit more:) took of some Heather today from one hive which has six suppers on yes six! it was a split in the middle of June from a Maisemore queen i got last year, i have never seen so many bees in one hive the BB is a 14x12 and every box is full of them a good one to breed from next year, Chris

Crikey ! They must be affluent in Andover......
Here in Sunny Devon I can get £3.50 per lb and the mark up takes it to just under £5 on the shelf.....

a local health food shop asked for some but was only willing to pay £4.50 lb wont let it go for that until I have tried selling it my self. the few jars I had the other day went easily for £5.

And thats in tight A** cornwall:eek:

With 4 hives you shouldn't have any bother shifting all your honey at retail prices without any help from the shop. Family, friends and colleagues always account for several hundred pounds of my honey.

thanks for all the comments i shall bear that in mind when i'm selling, i wish i could sell a lb of honey at £5 around here

Latest posts

Back