Selling honey through a village shop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having sold some honey from my home to a local village shop owner for their own personal use, they have approached me to stock their shop with honey and candles. This is new territory for me, and I’m not sure what I should be considering. The shop owner has asked about sale or return or alternatively supplying in small batches. I’m not sure how to price things, etc.
Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I sell to my local shop at the price I sell on the gate. They can apply whatever mark up they want.
Thanks Eric.
Do you offer sale or return, or just a straight contract to supply x number at a time?

I would check out the retail price of local honey at your nearest farm-shop/ country store/cafe.
Take off a generous mark-up, say 50% and work out if you are prepared to sell to the local shop at that price.
eg,. The honey retails at £7.50 in the shops and you let them have it at £5.00.

Thanks Eric.
Do you offer sale or return, or just a straight contract to supply x number at a time?
I take ten in to start with and they ring me when they want more. They pay up front. Warn them that once it is gone it is gone. They like suppliers who can keep going all year!

All my sales are through the village shop.
Agreement is that I won’t sell from home and thus undercut her price.
She takes batches of 20 and pays up front. We operate on a service to the community basis - I sell at a price that I’m happy with (much less than Enrico!) and she marks up by around 40%.
Its worked out well thus far.

I agree with most posts i sell my half poud jars at £5 and it retails at £7.50

Now onto the nasty stuff, TAX. HMRC all you to earn £1,000 gross as a side hustle, so at £5 a jar that is 200 jars not a lot, 100lbs of honey. After that you need to decide do you put it into a Ltd company or declare yourself to HMRC as a sole trader - you can be employed and a sole trader at the same time. This means completing a year end tax form and keeping basic records. If you have BeeCraft subscritpion i have written several articles on this for them.

Now onto the nasty stuff, TAX. HMRC all you to earn £1,000 gross as a side hustle, so at £5 a jar that is 200 jars not a lot, 100lbs of honey. After that you need to decide do you put it into a Ltd company or declare yourself to HMRC as a sole trader - you can be employed and a sole trader at the same time. This means completing a year end tax form and keeping basic records. If you have BeeCraft subscritpion i have written several articles on this for them.
Interestingly Hmrc ask you to add details about all sole trader activities.
Example: I work for an employer and also I am a sole trader of two small businesses one being my own bees and not so much these days landscape design

Self assessment is a nuisance but the online format is fairly quick and simple for the majority of people.
Once you've done it for a couple of times you can rattle through it so long as you have all your various incomes and outgoings sorted out and totalled up ready
Don't let the thought of it alter your plans.

Hey mate. What issue numbers are they in interested in having s read.

Never do sale and return with any consumable, your jars will come back covered in grubby greasy fingerprints from people picking them up and putting them down. I sell through one local shop and do not sell directly. If I did I would sell at the same price as the shop so as not to undercut my customer.

I've not had a problem with sale or return, my two best outlets had that arrangement, a butcher shop and a hardware store. Both outlets more than happy to sell the jars at the price we were asking, I think they added 50p to a jar. There was never a return, we would take more jars to restock and the cash from the last batch paid for the meat. One time, on my way home from the bees, the guy in the hardware shop saw me waiting at the lights and came out on the street with his hands in the air.
"We're desperate!!"
There was a plumber who would drink it straight from the jar :)
Good times.

One of my local retailers shop is always ideal temperature for granulation, as a result they have had a few jars granulate. I've swapped them for clear jars & put them in my warming cabinet to clear.
I put a granulation label (available from T's et al) on the back of most jars I sell unless it's soft-set which hopefully will stay that way.

Latest posts

Back