Selling candles to shop for resale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The village shop were I sell my honey has asked me to supply them with candles for Christmas, particularly the little Abelo Christmas tree. I was looking for some advice on pricing and also labelling. The shop will be adding 20% mark up to the price.
I sell them directly from home for £4 with a homemade safety label attached. If I recall correctly, the advice on here was to charge £1 per oz of wax and then an extra bit for time, wick etc.
Is it best to buy some sticky pre-printed labels and stick them to the bottom of the candles?

The village shop were I sell my honey has asked me to supply them with candles for Christmas, particularly the little Abelo Christmas tree. I was looking for some advice on pricing and also labelling. The shop will be adding 20% mark up to the price.
I sell them directly from home for £4 with a homemade safety label attached. If I recall correctly, the advice on here was to charge £1 per oz of wax and then an extra bit for time, wick etc.
Is it best to buy some sticky pre-printed labels and stick them to the bottom of the candles?
There abouts with the £1 per oz of wax
My jar candles take 189g - 6.6 oz of wax and I’m going to sell them for £10 retail.
Little round label printed and put on the bottom of the jar .

Would they be interested in gift packs of say a candle a small jar of honey and one of those wooden honey dipper things, all in a fancy box. Of course it would have to sell at a premium. A friend used to sell a similar item in a small wicker tray and fake straw to rest it all in.

Would they be interested in gift packs of say a candle a small jar of honey and one of those wooden honey dipper things, all in a fancy box. Of course it would have to sell at a premium. A friend used to sell a similar item in a small wicker tray and fake straw to rest it all in.
Possibly. I’ve sent details of those too.

What note do people put on the candles?
I find it difficult to understand why these are required but we have to jump through hoops.

Labels on candles are not required by law.
But we all know that there is a certain cabal of beekeepers (spurred on by label manufacturers and the compulsion for collective hand wringing) who are obsessed with plastering labels all over their wares - crystallisation, botulism and goodness knows what else, there will be no real point in using glass jars for some as you won't be able to see the honey for the labels!

Very interesting @Pembroke. From my scanning of the document it basically comes down to “is beeswax a dangerous material?” If it’s not and you add nothing to it you need no Safety Data Sheet or label on your pure beeswax candles.
I'm not sure ...

The requirements for labelling are provided in the Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) Regulations. Daft though it sounds there are hazardous implications in terms of heat, there are problems if candles are shaped like fruit or things that children could inadvertently eat, there are issues if fragrances are added and the potential for people to be allergic to these additiions.

Some people are stupid and what seems obvious and enshrined in common sense to most of us may provide an opportunity for the idiots amongst us to claim that they did not realise that a naked flame could set fire to their curtains ...

If we lived in the USA where litigation is more prevalent it would be a no brainer to label candles as hazardous. We are nearly there now, why do you think McDonalds add a warning to their coffee cups .. May contain hot liquid ? Seemingly obvious ... to most people.

I'm going to read it again, thoroughly.

I'm not sure ...

The requirements for labelling are provided in the Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) Regulations. Daft though it sounds there are hazardous implications in terms of heat, there are problems if candles are shaped like fruit or things that children could inadvertently eat, there are issues if fragrances are added and the potential for people to be allergic to these additiions.

Some people are stupid and what seems obvious and enshrined in common sense to most of us may provide an opportunity for the idiots amongst us to claim that they did not realise that a naked flame could set fire to their curtains ...

If we lived in the USA where litigation is more prevalent it would be a no brainer to label candles as hazardous. We are nearly there now, why do you think McDonalds add a warning to their coffee cups .. May contain hot liquid ? Seemingly obvious ... to most people.

I'm going to read it again, thoroughly.
I think you could be right on a health and safety issue regarding heat etc but that is judgement made by the seller, not a legal requirement as I understand it.
I agree that if things are added you need labels if the additions are considered hazardous.

I think you could be right on a health and safety issue regarding heat etc but that is judgement made by the seller, not a legal requirement as I understand it.
I agree that if things are added you need labels if the additions are considered hazardous.
I think, re-reading it you are OK without labels as long as you are selling direct to the end user, If distance selling or through a third party it may be wise to include hazard label ... better safe than sorry.

At the County Market, when we sell candles, tea lights etc, we put a printed note containing the relevant information into the bag with the candles when we're packing them up at the counter .

At the County Market, when we sell candles, tea lights etc, we put a printed note containing the relevant information into the bag with the candles when we're packing them up at the counter .
Good idea, costs next to nothing - covers your rear. Put your contact details on it and a mechanism to re-purchase ?

Latest posts

Back