Selling honey through a village shop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a granulation label (available from T's et al) on the back of most jars I sell unless it's soft-set which hopefully will stay that way.
I do that too (maisemore's clear one which also warns not suitable for infants). However the shopkeeper finds clear honey sells much better.

I put a granulation label (available from T's et al) on the back of most jars
I never bother with that faffery.
Most of my retailers, when they get honey granulating (temperatures in butchers shops and animal feed merchants seem to be condusive to it) just shift it over to the set honey shelf

The regulations are the same in England, or there are some changes just come in regards definition of primary producer' etc. if the majority of the hives are not on your premises. When it comes to registering with your local authority.
Ah, I've ve seen reference to the recent changes but not been able to find the details, are you able to provide a link or signpost me please?

The regulations are the same in England, or there are some changes just come in regards definition of primary producer' etc. if the majority of the hives are not on your premises. When it comes to registering with your local authority.
Thinking out loud here.

The honey comes from the the bees that come from the hive that is owned by the beekeeper. Surely the land owner therefore does not have anything to do with primary producer etc as else an awful lot of Tennant farmers or vast farm who lease the land would not be primary producers either as they don't own the land their farm is on.

Ah, I've ve seen reference to the recent changes but not been able to find the details, are you able to provide a link or signpost me please?
Sorry, I can't, the EHO I spoke to was so engrossed in prattling procedures etc. it may as well have been in Spanish, he did send me loads of powerpoint presentations, if I feel the urge to trigger a deathwish I'll wade through them.
The honey comes from the the bees that come from the hive that is owned by the beekeeper. Surely the land owner therefore does not have anything to do with primary producer etc as else an awful lot of Tennant farmers or vast farm who lease the land would not be primary producers either as they don't own the land their farm is on.

You don't have to own the property for it to be your premises, however, if you have out apiaries then, by definition they are not going to be at the same location as your kitchen, if the majority of your hives are not in the same location as your kitchen, then you switch from being a primary producer to one needing a HACCP Food safety management system.
I'm sure that one day someone will realise the can of worms they've opened and find a workaround, at the moment I think, unless you are obviously a honey packer or similar they are turning a slightly bleary eye to it.

Thank you. I'm interested because I recently waded through the legal minefield of honey regulations, food hygiene regulations and the exemptions relating to honey production and didn't find anything about the existence of out apiaries meaning you aren't classed as a primary producer, in fact the contrary - and I quote - "all the beekeeping activities must be considered as primary production. This includes beekeeping (even if this extends to having beehives at a distance from the beekeeper's premises)... ". The exemption doesn't apply if the spinning or jarring takes place outside your premises, but I wondered if this guidance had changed. In the absence of anything concrete to the contrary I'll assume it still stands 🤷‍♀️😊

and I quote - "all the beekeeping activities must be considered as primary production. This includes beekeeping (even if this extends to having beehives at a distance from the beekeeper's premises)... ".
do you mind sharing that reference with me so I can try and relate it to his 'new' guidelines

Having sold some honey from my home to a local village shop owner for their own personal use, they have approached me to stock their shop with honey and candles. This is new territory for me, and I’m not sure what I should be considering. The shop owner has asked about sale or return or alternatively supplying in small batches. I’m not sure how to price things, etc.
Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
I sell a significant amount of my honey (1000 jars/year) from the shelf at the front of my house and was in competition with my local shop who was supplied by another beekeeper. When that beekeeper retired the shop keeper asked if I would supply.
I was reticent as I felt we would be in competition but in the end we worked out a solution.
I now supply him honey in 8oz jars (mine are 12oz) with his own label so it is difficult for people to compare.
I supply him the honey at a 15% discount (pro rata) and supply at a bucket at a time (c60 jars)
The cooperation works well as they sell about 10 jars/week. One of the problems they had before was runny honey granulating but if they have that problem I just pop any affected jars in my honey warmer overnight.

Hey mate. What issue numbers are they in interested in having s read.
Sorry a few years ago no idea, and have not logged into the new website yet, you would just need to search for hmrc and it should come up

do you mind sharing that reference with me so I can try and relate it to his 'new' guidelines
I'd be interested in any info the EHO shares, if there is updated guidance I haven't been able to find it so if they can signpost you if like to see it (please) 😊

I'd be interested in any info the EHO shares, if there is updated guidance I haven't been able to find it so if they can signpost you if like to see it (please) 😊
best thing to do is just go along with whatever your local EHO tells you when you register. No point picking a fight and make enemies against who you're unlikely to win.

best thing to do is just go along with whatever your local EHO tells you when you register. No point picking a fight and make enemies against who you're unlikely to win.
No fight, just for my own interest 😁. My EHO switched off at the mention of beekeeping with a hasty " beekeepers don't need to register". No further questions asked 😊

No fight, just for my own interest 😁. My EHO switched off at the mention of beekeeping with a hasty " beekeepers don't need to register". No further questions asked 😊
That's fine until you start supplying shops, then they're on you like a rash

Latest posts

Back