Selling candles to shop for resale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my scanning of the document it basically comes down to “is beeswax a dangerous material?” If it’s not and you add nothing to it you need no Safety Data Sheet or label on your pure beeswax candles.

You seem to have missed the bit that says "To avoid confusion, CLP warning labels are one requirement (as discussed above), and safety labels (such as the symbols seen below) are another additional and separate requirement due to BS EN 15494:2019 “Product Safety Labels” which specifies the format, content and layout of product warning labels for indoor candles."

As I understand the advice, compliance with BS EN 15494 is not a legal requirement; the legal requirement is the General Product Safety Regulations, for which "All risks must be assessed, and precautions must be taken against those risks." That said, if you comply with an applicable standard it is a lot more straightforward to argue that you have taken all reasonable precautions - should you ever need to.

"Under the standard these three safety messages are mandatory in all cases: Never leave a burning candle unattended. Keep away from things that can catch fire. Keep away from children and pets." And other case specific stuff.

As noted in the later comments, there are plenty of easy ways to display or include relevant information, there is potential to generate return business (especially if they are purchased as a gift for example) by including something, so there is a "why wouldn't you?" question.

Yes, those are the 3 basic messages on the County Market's billet doux. They are usually pretty hot on the regs so if they make a rule you can be sure it's for a very good reason.

Pricing can be tricky, but your approach sounds solid. As for labeling, pre-printed sticky labels could streamline the process and give your candles a more professional look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I'm a bit and old fashioned but why is there the perception that I (we) want hand made homemade beeswax candles to look professional? Neat, tidy and appropriately labelled yes, but to me 'professional' suggests anything other than handmade and homemade.

I know I'm a bit and old fashioned but why is there the perception that I (we) want hand made homemade beeswax candles to look professional? Neat, tidy and appropriately labelled yes, but to me 'professional' suggests anything other than handmade and homemade.
just label them 'raw'

Latest posts

Back