Where do you buy your seeds?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real Seed Company - Tomatoes (Ruby) to die for, Peas (Magnum Bonum) where you need support 6 foot high and a massive crop (like marrowfat but nice and sweet), no need to buy seeds again as they don't deal in hybrids, so save your own seeds. They also have some unusual and interesting stuff. Used them a few years now (sometimes lazy on the seed saving!) but have never been disappointed with them.

I "unintentionally" bought more of their tomato seeds than I intended for this season, partly because they suggested a very early variety that sounded good (Latah?), and being early should be ok to grow outdoors without succumbing to blight before it has produced much fruit.

James

I "unintentionally" bought more of their tomato seeds than I intended for this season, partly because they suggested a very early variety that sounded good (Latah?), and being early should be ok to grow outdoors without succumbing to blight before it has produced much fruit.

James
Have trouble with mould on cucumber leaves, any advice?

Don't eat cucumber leaves :D

Cucumbers do seem quite susceptible to disease, especially in humid greenhouses and polytunnels. Watering in the evening when it's cooler and getting as much ventilation as possible might be a good start. Or try some different varieties. Some are more tolerant than others.

My father-in-law always has trouble with cucumbers whereas I tend not to. He grows his in a greenhouse whereas mine are in the polytunnel probably only ten metres away. His greenhouse is usually fairly well ventilated, with the door open all Summer and automated vents in the roof. I haven't been able to work out why he struggles so much with them unless the variety he chooses is just a bit more "fragile".

James

If you want to forget about mold on any plant, prepare the following solution:
In a liter of chlorine-free water, let 2 chopped garlic macerate for a day.
The next day, straining previously, you heat the water until it boils, add a spoon of cinnamon and the pieces of garlic again. Cook over low heat for 25 minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
Once cold, pour it into a garden dispenser and water the leaves of the plant with the solution.

In Galicia we do not usually make seedbeds, although we could since most hardware stores/feed stores offer a variety of the most in-demand vegetables, since starting in March the weekly or monthly markets offer vegetable plants at low prices.
Onions, sprouts and cabbage are sold at 10 euros per hundred, while lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins and others are sold per unit and can vary from 0.1 euros to 2 depending on the size and variety.

The more fresh air the better, Outside in a warm sheltered spot and no mould, put them in a greenhouse and nearly always mould. The only drawback is there is less fruit outside so you need more plants

We find the earlier you can grow plants the less blight, mould and rust you get. This seems to get worse as the season progresses. I have noticed we often finish harvesting way ahead of most of you. But we start things off early. Tomatoes already showing for example.

Cucumbers do seem quite susceptible to disease, especially in humid greenhouses and polytunnels. Watering in the evening when it's cooler and getting as much ventilation as possible might be a good start. Or try some different varieties. Some are more tolerant than others.

My father-in-law always has trouble with cucumbers whereas I tend not to. He grows his in a greenhouse whereas mine are in the polytunnel probably only ten metres away. His greenhouse is usually fairly well ventilated, with the door open all Summer and automated vents in the roof. I haven't been able to work out why he struggles so much with them unless the variety he chooses is just a bit more "fragile".

James
To be honest I just buy a few plants at the garden centre so not sure what variety they are, should have paid more attention. I grow them in two large pots and tie them around the greenhouse as they grow. My greenhouse is in full afternoon sun and I fail most years with tomatoes as well!!!!! I open the doors first thing every morning and on very warm days leave the window open. My grandfather used to sell his tomatoes and lettuce to the public, sitting out the front in a chair as people walked by, quite a character. I remember a chap visiting checking his weighing scale was accurate.His tomatoes and lettuce were perfect . Massive greenhouse, beds either side of a narrow walkway, he would dig out the compost every year and renew. He also grew a huge number of dahlias with big flower heads which people bought for weddings and decorating the church. Used to send away for his seeds.I think my love of gardening started when I was three spending time in that greenhouse. Obviously my skill of growing toms wasn't passed on!!!!!!!!

The more fresh air the better, Outside in a warm sheltered spot and no mould, put them in a greenhouse and nearly always mould. The only drawback is there is less fruit outside so you need more plants
In pots, or in the ground?

Since I have been growing Marketmore 76 I have not had any problems with mould. May be a coinsidence, but I also grow courgettes close to the cues and they (courgettes) suffer, occasionaly from mould. They are in a very well ventilated polytunnel.

If you want to forget about mold on any plant, prepare the following solution:
In a liter of chlorine-free water, let 2 chopped garlic macerate for a day.
The next day, straining previously, you heat the water until it boils, add a spoon of cinnamon and the pieces of garlic again. Cook over low heat for 25 minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
Once cold, pour it into a garden dispenser and water the leaves of the plant with the solution.
Also heard of diluted milk sprayed helps out.
Never tried it myself.
Probably moving this year so won't be growing much.

James
I use The Real Seed Company for most of my veg.
Telephone a Pea that just won't stop climbing.
Not a fan of knee high Peas !
Try the Achochas, easy to grow, tasty and the bees like the flowers.

James
My father used our smallest (20ft x 100ft) English style greenhouse which had raised beds with 5" cast iron heating pipes underneath and another similar heating pipe alongside the wall at soil top level as a tomato plant raising unit. Heating was powered by a Robin Hood sectional cast iron boiler stoked by hand with gas house coke. Once the tomato raising and planting out into the bigger houses was over (usually around mid May) the cucumber plants were planted into the beds. By that time the heating was over until the next spring. The Cucumbers then grew on and were trained up wire supports towards the ridge of the glass roof.
I can't recall the plants suffering any kind of mould or rot in that house. There were occasional bits of Botritis in the tomatoes in the other houses as the season progressed but any affected plants were removed and disposed of. I can't recall the variety of cucumber he grew but the tomatoes were a hybrid JR6. The lack of mildew may have been because all the soil in the plant raising house was steam sterilized each January and the structure washed down with a 1% solution of Formaldehyde using a stirrup pump and lance.,The stirrup pump was my job as a boy. Fortunately the hose to the lance enabled me to stand outside in the fresh air and my father wore his WW2 gas mask. Whether the gas mask had much effect in the 1960s I don't know.🤔

I use The Real Seed Company for most of my veg.
Telephone a Pea that just won't stop climbing.
Not a fan of knee high Peas !
Try the Achochas, easy to grow, tasty and the bees like the flowers.

I read somewhere that despite the glowing descriptions on seed packets saying how wonderful dwarf peas are, the only reason they actually exist is because it means mechanical harvesting is easier. Personally I prefer the tall ones because it's possible to get a larger crop from a given amount of space in the veggie plot.

I'll look at the Achochas for next year if I can find somewhere suitable to grow them. Perhaps over the bee shed :D

James

Latest posts

Back