Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I realise its a matter of taste and everyone is different but I hate the taste of Horse chesnut honey,I much prefer the lighter tasing ones.

Whats you favorite and least liked honey?

Or should the question be do you like honey? because I have spoken to a few beekeepers who do not even like the taste of any honey.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I haven't experienced enough honey to comment on this :)

I had 5lbs from mine this year and it was absolutely amazing with such a delicate fragrant taste. I know I'm bound to be biased but it was nicer than the honeys given to me by both my mentors. One of which was Borage.

Sorry - off thread in a way :)

random 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
ivy :puke:

has a heavy taste, slightly musty

YUK

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I am one of those that is not fond of the taste of honey,but i would choose rosebay as the best,and rape as the worst,when fresh anyway,tastes like mouldy cabbage to me.

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I bought a jar of Heather Honey from another association member as ever since i started to keep bees, the majority have raved about it.

It was Foul ..... i will take my own Borage honey over that every time.

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I brought some black locust bean honey from Egypt... it tasted oily. FOUL. Daughter even refused to use it for cooking.

greatbritishhoney 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
My wife works for an African charity and recently brought home some Zambian forest honey. It was the weirdest thing I've ever tasted - more like malt extract than honey.
It wasn't unpleasant but there's no way I'd spread it on toast.

Incidentally, my wife is the one who does all the sales pitch whenever we do a honey tasting event - and she HATES honey!

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Yup, Heather is an either you love it or you hate it.

I was given a taste of "real" Manuka at a BFA tasting and I couldn't have it, I spat it out discretely.

Also a taste of comb honey from a recently cresoted hive.....it burnt the mouth.

PH

Headnavigator 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Best - first Spring honey this year from the SW coast of the Isle of Wight (from another beekeeper), light, fragrant, beyond description, I just had to keep dipping into the jar for yet another taste.
Worst - medicinal grade Manuka +16, utterly horrid, I agree, but magic for healing burns and ulcers.

newportbuzz 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
i have to say the worst i have had is a jar of thyme honey from spain/france
it positively stinks even when it is in you're mouth.
the nicest i have had other than my own is white heather honey by the same producer.

plumberman 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5 and ahem "a few more"
I rather like the medicinal taste of ivy honey: reminds me of a decent Islay malt.

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I rather like the medicinal taste of ivy honey: reminds me of a decent Islay malt.
Try their winter stores. If you can get a mix of ivy honey and thymolated syrup, you have southern comfort! ;)

Crg 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
I realise its a matter of taste and everyone is different but I hate the taste of Horse chesnut honey,I much prefer the lighter tasing ones.

Whats you favorite and least liked honey?
I like the strong tasting ones, (proper) manuka, chestnut, etc.

The autumn honeydew I often get here in London is probably my current favourite.

gavin 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
about 70 and rising
Scottish heather honey is horrible (IMHO)
LOL! In taste tests at innumerable Dundee Flower Shows over the years, nine out of ten cat owners prefer Scottish Heather Honey to anything else and usually wax lyrical about it. The kids are maybe 2:1 against though. Are you a kid BCBEE?!

I did taste ivy honey and although I tried to like it, it was a struggle. Fresh ragwort is disgusting and perhaps toxic which is a pity as I have a colony going for it now. The frames including the wood are bright yellow.

YorkshireBees 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-20 (mix of poly / wood)
Best: - Almost any honey from my hives :)

Worst: - Any cheap imported muck from a supermarket!

Seriously I have not tasted enough varieties from my own bees yet to judge but I did like the 'almost citrus hint' flavour from my OSR crop this year just after extraction. Reminds me I have to build my warming cabinet as 50kgs of rock hard honey is waiting!

Crg 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Worst - medicinal grade Manuka +16, utterly horrid, I agree, but magic for healing burns and ulcers.
Probably no better for healing than a lot of honeys.

Also I don't know what they do to it when shipping it over here, but it doesn't taste quite right.

I've got a couple of jars from an NZ beekeeper who claims a lot of what is shipped is Kanuka, which is a similar plant. Not sure if that's the reason for the taste difference, or whether they mix it down with clover to get the lower ratings.

Luminos 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Less than 100. Er, 6, actually...
i have to say the worst i have had is a jar of thyme honey from spain/france
it positively stinks even when it is in you're mouth.
the nicest i have had other than my own is white heather honey by the same producer.
:iagree:
It was recommended to me, to put on my horses hooves which had been burnt too far back by a farrier; I tasted it first, and I can honestly say that the horses' hooves are the best place for it!

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Miriads
Posh "friends" gave me a jar of M&S honey:mad:
Tasted and smelled like the inside of a new LEXUS... they had one of those too!

Leathery old boot taste and taint of turpentine mixed with hints of rotten fruit and a mortuary..........
HORRIBLE
actually put me off any honey for a while!

Last edited:

Latest posts