different honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essex b's

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I extracted 7 supers from 4 hives today, my second extraction this year. 6 supers contained, as expected, light honey from borage. Cappings are removed easily with a hot air gun, easily spun out and filtered; a very pale, sweet honey slow to crystalize. The 7th super was different.
At first it looked like overwintered stores, lumpy and dark cappings; but the super had only been on the hive for 3 weeks so this can not be the explanation; the cappings did melt with the hot air gun but solidified into a dark brown layer which prevented the honey from spinning out. An uncapping fork revealed the honey, and some, but by no means all, was removed by the extractor. From the extractor it looked like coffee grounds, bur it filtered easily enough.
I am left with 15lbs or so of honey, on the light side of medium, not too sweet but not with a distinctive taste. I realise I should need a pollen analysis to prove its origin, but was wondering if anyone might hazard a guess as to what I have in my bucket!

I extracted 7 supers from 4 hives today, my second extraction this year. 6 supers contained, as expected, light honey from borage. Cappings are removed easily with a hot air gun, easily spun out and filtered; a very pale, sweet honey slow to crystalize. The 7th super was different.
At first it looked like overwintered stores, lumpy and dark cappings; but the super had only been on the hive for 3 weeks so this can not be the explanation; the cappings did melt with the hot air gun but solidified into a dark brown layer which prevented the honey from spinning out. An uncapping fork revealed the honey, and some, but by no means all, was removed by the extractor. From the extractor it looked like coffee grounds, bur it filtered easily enough.
I am left with 15lbs or so of honey, on the light side of medium, not too sweet but not with a distinctive taste. I realise I should need a pollen analysis to prove its origin, but was wondering if anyone might hazard a guess as to what I have in my bucket!
If the nectar came in the last three weeks then I am guessing sweet chestnut

If the nectar came in the last three weeks then I am guessing sweet chestnut
I have had chestnut honey several years ago. I fact I am still melting out one jar a year to go with the cheese at xmas. This honey is not dark enough or strong tasting enough to be sweet chestnut, although it could be a mixture. What about dandelion?

I have had chestnut honey several years ago. I fact I am still melting out one jar a year to go with the cheese at xmas. This honey is not dark enough or strong tasting enough to be sweet chestnut, although it could be a mixture. What about dandelion?
Dandelion honey is yellow and smells of manky old socks.

I've just had the same problem, one super, light honey spun no problem, second dark honey had to use knife, hot gun no good, difficult to spin out.
Both supers from same colony.

It has been a bad greenfly year so maybe greenfly poo:ack2:

Latest posts

Back