Whats the worst tasting honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only had one honey I don't like - Australian eucalyptus.

I do like to try a good range of honey from all over the place. I even like ivy. Favourites are heather (my own) and Italian chestnut.

Manuka tastes medicinal so it must do you good -allegedly. I don't like it.
I see that "The Waikato Honey Research Unit was set up in 1995, with financial support from the New Zealand Honey Industry Trust".
Extra "non-peroxide antibacterial activity" in addition to the powerful antibacterial action of other honeys is claimed and measured.
I wish that the UK had a tame university to talk up the benefits of our honey. :)

Zambian forest honey. It was the weirdest thing I've ever tasted - more like malt extract than honey.
It wasn't unpleasant but there's no way I'd spread it on toast.

I had some from Jwaneng in Botswana it tasted like malted coal tar :puke:

Hi there.

I am not too keen on pure sun flower honey. The honey with the worst smell IMO is buckwheat. It smells like a mixture of goat and pig sty.

My favourites are pure chestnut, forest honey and my spring honey. The latter because I have a lot of wild sage in the area and it smells and tastes like a yummy herbal cough sweet.

Greets
Phil

I had some from Jwaneng in Botswana it tasted like malted coal tar :puke:

I take it you've actually tasted malted coal tar??.I like lime honey for taste - The worst was some "ecological forest " honey from the Eden Project.:eek: :eek:

Marmite honey - Presumably a blend of Marmite and honey, and not honey made from nectar gathered from some kind of Marmite plant.

Now I like honey. I also like Marmite. I regularly have them on toast for breakfast. A friend who knew this decided that naturally I would also like like Marmite Honey so bought me a jar when they saw it at a honey store.

Don't try it - it is not worth it.

"tasted like malted coal tar"

I've not tasted that either but...

I once suffered a bit after eating a whole half crispy duck, pancakes etc. that was just "on the turn".

Having not had the advantage of being from a family of science teachers and industrial chemists the OH wasn't able to appreciate the nuances when i described my burbs as tasting like licking a firework.

However - when she finally experienced my "emissions" in the confines of a smart car she instantly piped up "it's like when they tipped the slag at the steelworks" (being brought up in scunthorpe) - a very different experience BUT one which obviously shared similar notes of carbon, sulphur and iron.

I've only ever had supermarket honey mostly, although one kind member of the forum sent me some cut comb which was the nicest thing I've ever tasted :)

I got given some honey from the now ex beekeepers on the same allotment as me and it tasted of smoke. Just smoke. It was awful. How much smoking of the bees do you have to be doing to taint the honey with it? A lot I would imagine :eek:

I take it you've actually tasted malted coal tar??.I like lime honey for taste - The worst was some "ecological forest " honey from the Eden Project.:eek: :eek:

Johna

Looooooooooong story - creosote + brewery malt + accident = aquired taste

I've only ever had supermarket honey mostly, although one kind member of the forum sent me some cut comb which was the nicest thing I've ever tasted :)

I got given some honey from the now ex beekeepers on the same allotment as me and it tasted of smoke. Just smoke. It was awful. How much smoking of the bees do you have to be doing to taint the honey with it? A lot I would imagine :eek:

No prizes for guessing how they cleared their bee's off the super frames??

I'd have to say supermarket honey is the worst.

The best I have had recently is Kefalonian Thyme honey I bought from a beekeeper in Kefalonia last week. Really nice. Hives are all over the mountains over there. His jars are sold in most shops all over the island, nice little business with predictable weather and warmth. Lucky bugger. No doubt it is much harder than it looks though

Manuka tastes medicinal so it must do you good -allegedly. I don't like it.
I see that "The Waikato Honey Research Unit was set up in 1995, with financial support from the New Zealand Honey Industry Trust".
Extra "non-peroxide antibacterial activity" in addition to the powerful antibacterial action of other honeys is claimed and measured.
I wish that the UK had a tame university to talk up the benefits of our honey. :)

Before this manuka honey was almost considered a B grade honey which sold at a discount to other honies, then over night it turned into the worlds most expensive honey, very good marketing.

The worst honey I ever had was in Saudi Arabia. I don't know what the floral source was, but it tasted foul. The consistency was weird too - at room temperature (25-30C) it was not quite like water - incredibly runny. I tried refrigerating it and it became slightly less runny but still went everywhere. Finally I tried freezing it - it didn't freeze, just became like a lunp of dough, but would only stick to itself. It finally got thrown out...

Anyone tried honey from Kenya? I got a bottle 2 years ago when I was ther.

Steve

I like ivy honey - trouble is catching it to extract in time. The best tasting honey was what the bees collected in my first year - the pollen was analysed under a microscopy by a friend and was thought to come from a stone crop plant - it was golden in colour and consistency of golden syrup and didn't granulate for over a year . I did wonderif it was from the flowering palms
Never been able to equal it since I had to move the hives

Seems as if not many of us like honey.

How about bees on toast?

Latest posts

Back