Whats the worst tasting honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I realise its a matter of taste and everyone is different but I hate the taste of Horse chesnut honey,I much prefer the lighter tasing ones.

Whats you favorite and least liked honey?

Or should the question be do you like honey? because I have spoken to a few beekeepers who do not even like the taste of any honey.

I haven't experienced enough honey to comment on this :)

I had 5lbs from mine this year and it was absolutely amazing with such a delicate fragrant taste. I know I'm bound to be biased but it was nicer than the honeys given to me by both my mentors. One of which was Borage.

Sorry - off thread in a way :)

ivy :puke:

has a heavy taste, slightly musty

YUK

I am one of those that is not fond of the taste of honey,but i would choose rosebay as the best,and rape as the worst,when fresh anyway,tastes like mouldy cabbage to me.

I bought a jar of Heather Honey from another association member as ever since i started to keep bees, the majority have raved about it.

It was Foul ..... i will take my own Borage honey over that every time.

I brought some black locust bean honey from Egypt... it tasted oily. FOUL. Daughter even refused to use it for cooking.

My wife works for an African charity and recently brought home some Zambian forest honey. It was the weirdest thing I've ever tasted - more like malt extract than honey.
It wasn't unpleasant but there's no way I'd spread it on toast.

Incidentally, my wife is the one who does all the sales pitch whenever we do a honey tasting event - and she HATES honey!

Yup, Heather is an either you love it or you hate it.

I was given a taste of "real" Manuka at a BFA tasting and I couldn't have it, I spat it out discretely.

Also a taste of comb honey from a recently cresoted hive.....it burnt the mouth.

PH

Best - first Spring honey this year from the SW coast of the Isle of Wight (from another beekeeper), light, fragrant, beyond description, I just had to keep dipping into the jar for yet another taste.
Worst - medicinal grade Manuka +16, utterly horrid, I agree, but magic for healing burns and ulcers.

i have to say the worst i have had is a jar of thyme honey from spain/france
it positively stinks even when it is in you're mouth.
the nicest i have had other than my own is white heather honey by the same producer.

I rather like the medicinal taste of ivy honey: reminds me of a decent Islay malt.

I rather like the medicinal taste of ivy honey: reminds me of a decent Islay malt.

Try their winter stores. If you can get a mix of ivy honey and thymolated syrup, you have southern comfort! ;)

I realise its a matter of taste and everyone is different but I hate the taste of Horse chesnut honey,I much prefer the lighter tasing ones.

Whats you favorite and least liked honey?

I like the strong tasting ones, (proper) manuka, chestnut, etc.

The autumn honeydew I often get here in London is probably my current favourite.

Scottish heather honey is horrible (IMHO)

LOL! In taste tests at innumerable Dundee Flower Shows over the years, nine out of ten cat owners prefer Scottish Heather Honey to anything else and usually wax lyrical about it. The kids are maybe 2:1 against though. Are you a kid BCBEE?!

I did taste ivy honey and although I tried to like it, it was a struggle. Fresh ragwort is disgusting and perhaps toxic which is a pity as I have a colony going for it now. The frames including the wood are bright yellow.

Best: - Almost any honey from my hives :)

Worst: - Any cheap imported muck from a supermarket!

Seriously I have not tasted enough varieties from my own bees yet to judge but I did like the 'almost citrus hint' flavour from my OSR crop this year just after extraction. Reminds me I have to build my warming cabinet as 50kgs of rock hard honey is waiting!

Worst - medicinal grade Manuka +16, utterly horrid, I agree, but magic for healing burns and ulcers.

Probably no better for healing than a lot of honeys.

Also I don't know what they do to it when shipping it over here, but it doesn't taste quite right.

I've got a couple of jars from an NZ beekeeper who claims a lot of what is shipped is Kanuka, which is a similar plant. Not sure if that's the reason for the taste difference, or whether they mix it down with clover to get the lower ratings.

i have to say the worst i have had is a jar of thyme honey from spain/france
it positively stinks even when it is in you're mouth.
the nicest i have had other than my own is white heather honey by the same producer.

:iagree:
It was recommended to me, to put on my horses hooves which had been burnt too far back by a farrier; I tasted it first, and I can honestly say that the horses' hooves are the best place for it!

Posh "friends" gave me a jar of M&S honey:mad:
Tasted and smelled like the inside of a new LEXUS... they had one of those too!

Leathery old boot taste and taint of turpentine mixed with hints of rotten fruit and a mortuary..........
HORRIBLE
actually put me off any honey for a while!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back