What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Activity on small leaved clover very sporadic. Most activity seems to be on bramble - lots of bees working this today. Some mustard coloured pollen being brought in by one hive only. Have not identified the source yet.

3 days into the Cambrian Way. As I walked out along the Glamorgan Canal several large (huge) clusters of dog rose - I smelt them before seeing them. And all mixed in with loads of bramble (does that have a smell?). Anyway warm day - not an insect to be seen. Well not a flying one anyway 🙁
Neil
BIAB

Cherry Laurel opening here. Huge bushes 50 yards from the apiary, some are 20’ high.

IMG_20210630_130321.jpgin the garden now.
Edit : I noticed the bees working the clover yesterday afternoon, 24c, humid as hell these last few days. always in the afternoon :unsure: clover foraging.
Rosebay coming into flower on the Clee. IMG_20210629_124127.jpg

Last edited:
Clover is the main flow up here at the moment, with Green Alconet ( like a large rough hairy (Forget-me-not) on the verges. We have a great crop from this, as there is over an Acre around and it flowers from May until July. In the cooler time of the day it gives a white Pollen then as the temperature rises it gives Nectar aplenty. Hogweed is also coming out which gives so much Pollen and nectar although it‘s an invasive weed. I always try and get my Square Sections on board for the Hogweed as I have customers who particularly like this honey. Lime Trees are not quite ready up here yet, although this can be fickle if it does not get enough rain in May, so we will await the yield from the flow.

Do honey bees forage on this? I believe it’s called Scottish Broom?

Attachments

• 7A6E6161-86D7-4584-BDB5-C1E955E758C5.jpeg
    7A6E6161-86D7-4584-BDB5-C1E955E758C5.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
Hogweed is also coming out which gives so much Pollen and nectar although it‘s an invasive weed.

You won't be short of forage near to Findhorn then! Such lovely place, and the pretty gardens of the village add up to a tidy amount of nectar. Presumably the army/air force ranges provide a lot of wild flowers too? Like us in Nairnshire, do you also get a lot of Himalayan balsam later on?

This purple flower is spreading throughout our house paddock. Anyone know what it is? I can't see any evidence of bees working it and if it creates any risk to the horses it'll be time for the Grazon to be applied.

Attachments

• 20210630_202412.jpg
    20210630_202412.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 50
This purple flower is spreading throughout our house paddock. Anyone know what it is? I can't see any evidence of bees working it and if it creates any risk to the horses it'll be time for the Grazon to be applied.
That's Selfheal. No idea whether it's ok for horses, but I do know it's ok in moderation for tortoises (I think it's because it has tannins in it that they shouldn't eat huge amounts of it).

Latest posts

Back