pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My Cotoneaster has gone over now - the bees had a great time on it a week or so ago ... the Cherry Laurel is now in full bloom and covered in insects of all sorts including my bees - the scent of the flowers is so strong it almost makes you retch .... heady is not the word for it - overpowering. I've never known it have so many flowers on it before and such a strong scent.

Curly green finger's 

Apiculturist to the bones!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
Clover looking gorgeous on the hills today no sheep about and the cows are on lower ground no plan to move them up to the higher pastures.
The demareed up their have back filled three quarters of the brood with honey, super below has small amounts of drone brood now mainly nectar and honey, I have 9 frames above capped in some and I put another super under two, I've not moved frames above on any of them but by god they have drawn some comb down there :).
I would guess at over 90lb from the demaree could be more
? Should I leave as is? leave the spring honey on the hive and continue adding supers. I only have foundation. In no rush for honey as I've got some.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My Cotoneaster has gone over now - the bees had a great time on it a week or so ago ... the Cherry Laurel is now in full bloom and covered in insects of all sorts including my bees - the scent of the flowers is so strong it almost makes you retch .... heady is not the word for it - overpowering. I've never known it have so many flowers on it before and such a strong scent.
Yes I posted a picture of one of the many trees in Crickhowell. The scent knocks you over. The balsam is well on its way here too. Masses of it along the river Usk, seeds carried along the banks and into the surrounding fields of sugar beet by the last floods.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I stayed there a few times with work many years ago, then SWMBO and I had a weekend there to celebrate (bit of an oxymoron) our anniversary
Food was lacklustre and the beer was awful so we went to the Brittania for a decent pint of Wye Valley and a burger tonight.
I stood outside watching the swifts shrieking overhead like a child watching fireworks. Wonderful.

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Food was lacklustre and the beer was awful so we went to the Brittania for a decent pint of Wye Valley
It's a shame, but then again it was a few years ago and it's probably changed hands (and chefs) funnily enough, the last time we passed through there I think we ended up in the Britannia.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
It's a shame, but then again it was a few years ago and it's probably changed hands (and chefs) funnily enough, the last time we passed through there I think we ended up in the Britannia.
The bridge is closed forever I suspect. Flooded twice and flood defences won’t prevent further flooding. Such a shame after they put so much time effort and money into the last refurb.

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I would guess at over 90lb from the demaree could be more
? Should I leave as is? leave the spring honey on the hive and continue adding supers. I only have foundation. In no rush for honey as I've got some.
I guess I'm a bit too tired to answer ....

Angry_Mob 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
I bought this Cordyline australis (I think) about 15 years ago at the Conwy Seed Fair. It's now about 3 metres high.
It has just produced this enormous flower head, which is covered with honey bees from 8am
View attachment 26776.
The yard is filled with the aroma of the flowers.
What a wonderful surprise!
A family friend has been telling me about this plant for the last few years in his garden but didn't know the name so was never sure what it was. I showed him the picture this evening and bingo. Fantastic aroma and covered in bees also although his plant has 5 or more separate flowering clusters.

Might try and take a few cuttings from it.

Attachments

E&MBees 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Thornless blackberry is flowering in the garden, just next to a nuc. The bees are loving it.

Moobee 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
A family friend has been telling me about this plant for the last few years in his garden but didn't know the name so was never sure what it was. I showed him the picture this evening and bingo. Fantastic aroma and covered in bees also although his plant has 5 or more separate flowering clusters.

Might try and take a few cuttings from it.
Fantastic coastal plant - one of the few trees that survives salty winds. Ours have been smothered in bees and the fragrance is quite intoxicating.

Cole lynch 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
We’ve lost 96% of our wildflower meadows since the last war (& 50% of our hedgerows) so I’m on a mission to promote them to anyone who will listen
I just think the term “lost” is misleading. They weren’t “lost”. They’ve been developed for profit by unscrupulous profiteers and greedy Councils etc.
It makes my blood boil to ignore who gained what, when a meadow or hedgerow is “lost”
Sorry for rant.
Thanks for your efforts at restoration 👍🏼🌱

fizzle 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
20210625_170519_resized.jpg

No idea what this bush is but the bees seem to like it. Nice floral scent off it.

Swarm 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
Some sort of Cotoneaster?

Latest posts