What would you do? Advice please.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hive that swarm control was performed on; queen plus frames into nuc and all but one QC torn down after 7days - this was 20days ago. Recent check - no sign of brood/queen, bees working in supers BUT noticed signs of CBPV. Shaking bees and the dark abdomens but no signs of mass deaths.

Think queenless and CBPV not endearing me to combining with another. What would you do? With hive and with stores? Advice please.
Thanks

Hive that swarm control was performed on; queen plus frames into nuc and all but one QC torn down after 7days - this was 20days ago. Recent check - no sign of brood/queen, bees working in supers BUT noticed signs of CBPV. Shaking bees and the dark abdomens but no signs of mass deaths.

Think queenless and CBPV not endearing me to combining with another. What would you do? With hive and with stores? Advice please.
Thanks
I have one that was the parent hive part of an AS. Took ages to re queen. Numbers right down, now they have CBPV. I’m destroying them tonight. Awfully sad. Hate doing it especially as they just have a queen starting to lay.

What was the swarm control specifically?
Suspend the broodbox well off the ground with the floor removed to allow the infected bees to drop out without infecting more.
Swarm control was as follows; when QC seen, queen plus 3 frames of bees put in nuc and moved away. Remaining QCs reduced down to 1.
Aside from removing floor, with no brood/eggs seem would you introduce new Q ? And what to do about stores? Harvest?

I have one that was the parent hive part of an AS. Took ages to re queen. Numbers right down, now they have CBPV. I’m destroying them tonight. Awfully sad. Hate doing it especially as they just have a queen starting to lay.
Same situation. Mine is parent hive of AS also. Sounds like killing off is advice. Are you destroying the kit too? What to do with the stores? Harvest?

Same situation. Mine is parent hive of AS also. Sounds like killing off is advice. Are you destroying the kit too? What to do with the stores? Harvest?
I've taken the supers, sterilised the poly box with Cilit Bang, boiling the frames, and burying the wax and the bees.

I've taken the supers, sterilised the poly box with Cilit Bang, boiling the frames, and burying the wax and the bees.
Hives are wood, so would flaming them be good enough? I suppose can burn the wax and bees rather than digging a hole?

I heard from an SBI that CB dissolves propolis but does not sterilise.
They are wrong ... Cillit Bang will sterilise anything ... vile stuff, it's banned from our house for domestic use .. after it ate the aluminium shower framing. Great for poly hives.

Latest posts

Back