What exactly is the law about stolen bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started reading a lovely book called "In Praise of Bees" by Elizabeth Birchall. She mentions that the earliest known bee laws were formulated by the Hittites, 3500 years ago. Hive thieves were scourged and then covered with honey and left naked near a beehive to die of stings

Does anyone know any Policeman who are Beekeepers?

Yes, quite nice chaps... but MOD River Police ( Defence Police) who float around onhe the great grey green greasy Tamar river all set about with social housing... protecting warships in Devonport mostly

Yeghes da

Before I retired I was on the other end of speed cameras for years. You really have no idea! 3000 people a year die on our roads in uk alone. If that many died in air flight you would never fly again.
Here is a story that I used to tell, it may help you all to understand. Read it to the end
A bus is parked. You go to overtake it at 30 mph, as you reach the back of the bus someone steps out at the front. You stop, with about two inches to spare. The length of the bus is your thinking and braking distance.
Next.... A bus is parked, you go to overtake it at 40 mph, as you reach the back of the bus someone steps out at the front. You hit them.... At 40 mph....because the length of the bus is shorter than your thinking distance. So a 10 mph increase in speed creates a difference of 40 mph on impact in this situation. I issued thousands of tickets. I do not feel guilt about any of them. Speed limits are there to protect mainly those not in cars. You sad people who think it is all about money! It is about trying to save the lives of your family and you. I have been to scenes that would make you wretch. Speeding is a killer.
You speed at your own risk? No! At the risk of others! Drive safely and just stick to the limits.
E

Does anyone know any Policeman who are Beekeepers?
One of our BKA members (Dangerous Davies) is a retired policeman and kept bees while he was in the force (nickname then was sting) - the blue light came in very handy when responding to swarms according to him!

Yes, quite nice chaps... but MOD River Police ( Defence Police) who float around onhe the great grey green greasy Tamar river all set about with social housing... protecting warships in Devonport mostly
Yeghes da
Wish I'd have known that a few years ago - time I spent patrolling same river alongside them.

Newbury county council are doing their bit by painting their parking bays too small and nicking cars parked outside the lines.

Or is it just their stand against all these eejits in their shiny clean Chelsea tractors (with the strange extra gearsticks) and it's not the fact that the parking bays are smallers - it's just the b*ggers can't drive them!

Before I retired I was on the other end of speed cameras for years. You really have no idea! 3000 people a year die on our roads in uk alone. If that many died in air flight you would never fly again.
Here is a story that I used to tell, it may help you all to understand. Read it to the end
A bus is parked. You go to overtake it at 30 mph, as you reach the back of the bus someone steps out at the front. You stop, with about two inches to spare. The length of the bus is your thinking and braking distance.
Next.... A bus is parked, you go to overtake it at 40 mph, as you reach the back of the bus someone steps out at the front. You hit them.... At 40 mph....because the length of the bus is shorter than your thinking distance. So a 10 mph increase in speed creates a difference of 40 mph on impact in this situation. I issued thousands of tickets. I do not feel guilt about any of them. Speed limits are there to protect mainly those not in cars. You sad people who think it is all about money! It is about trying to save the lives of your family and you. I have been to scenes that would make you wretch. Speeding is a killer.
You speed at your own risk? No! At the risk of others! Drive safely and just stick to the limits.
E

1) 1713 Road fatalities in 2013. Where are you getting the inflated 3000 figure from? 2006? Check your figures before projecting fear upon all.

2) 3000 could not die in an 'air flight' as no aircraft carries such numbers.I think you mean annual deaths from flights.

3) Consider all variables before making comparisons regarding flying/driving. Number of cars to aircraft. Environment in which they travel. Average passenger ration to driver. Speed, weather .......etc

4) 2013 there were 35 million vehicles licences on UK roads with 1713 fatalities. Pretty impressive safety record for an island.

4) Your 'speed kills' rhetoric in reference to deaths is frequently referred to as 'speed' is easily enforceable to fine drivers thus accruing a substantial revenue for the government.

5)Driver behavior leads to accidents however its harder to enforce such penalties.

1) 1713 Road fatalities in 2013. Where are you getting the inflated 3000 figure from? 2006? Check your figures before projecting fear upon all.

2) 3000 could not die in an 'air flight' as no aircraft carries such numbers.I think you mean annual deaths from flights.

3) Consider all variables before making comparisons regarding flying/driving. Number of cars to aircraft. Environment in which they travel. Average passenger ration to driver. Speed, weather .......etc

4) 2013 there were 35 million vehicles licences on UK roads with 1713 fatalities. Pretty impressive safety record for an island.

4) Your 'speed kills' rhetoric in reference to deaths is frequently referred to as 'speed' is easily enforceable to fine drivers thus accruing a substantial revenue for the government.

5)Driver behavior leads to accidents however its harder to enforce such penalties.

1) Yes, my figures are old and for that I apologise. It seems that all the speed enforcement, camera's etc ( and improvement in vehicles of course) has had a good effect! Projecting fear? Make of it what you want!
2) of course I meant annual figures, my argument still holds good
3) why should I? I am just saying that if 1700 people a year died in air crashes in the uk people would not fly!
4) could that be because of enforcement? It doesn't just happen by chance!
5) read my story and tell me if speed does not have a significant impact on collisions. Of course it does, and yes it is totally the drivers responsibility. The drivers behaviour is to blame, not the car or the road, pity most forces have reduced traffic police numbers. Cameras are cheaper. Difficult to get evidence for any other behaviour other than speeding, if it was easy we would be able to cut deaths by even more.
Take your head out of the sand!
E

I notice we have strayed a little off topic here, but related to Enrico's posts.... I wish that all learner drivers had to do a spell as a pedestrian, a cyclist, a horserider and a motorcyclist before being allowed behind the wheel of a car. How many car drivers feel they own the road and are too impatient or arrogant to give other road users any space or consideration? Or, perhaps more tellingly, how many aren't???

PS, there should also be some kind of training to ensure that drivers are aware of the extra care needed when driving around lorries, artics, buses and animal transporters. How often do you see drivers squeezing their little tin box into less than a car space in front of a lorry?

Have I missed anything out?

sorry itma, you're right, but your post must have arrived as I was drafting...

Last edited:
" Take your head out of the sand "

Please don't come out of retirement and maybe use your spare time to get a grasp of research methods.

I notice we have strayed a little off topic here, but related to Enrico's posts.... I wish that all learner drivers had to do a spell as a pedestrian, a cyclist, a horserider and a motorcyclist before being allowed behind the wheel of a car. How many car drivers feel they own the road and are too impatient or arrogant to give other road users any space or consideration? Or, perhaps more tellingly, how many aren't???

Horse riders ! Most dog walkers pick up after their dogs have gone about their business - but horse riders? What gives them the right to ride through our streets with the horse defecating wherever and whenever they wish? They never clean up, meanwhile people step in it, cycle through it, smell it.
I want horse riders to be more responsible and also carry bags.

1) read my story and tell me if speed does not have a significant impact on collisions

There is no doubt that speeding (amongst other factors) has an impact on collisions but let's not kid ourselves - if speed cameras were all about road safety they would be deployed in accident blackspots and parked in clear view to get people to slow down (which I believe is the priority here?) not tucked up somewhere hidden out of the way to get a quick ticket.

1) pity most forces have reduced traffic police numbers.

I have to chuckle - sorry Enrico.
But when I worked in Southern Wales I often had to work with policemen from various forces - not traffic usually unless we had required them to stop a vehicle (we didn't have that power but we did have the power to direct a constable to do it for us) and one thing we quickly learn that across all forces - even ordinary policemen hated the traffic police (or vehicle Nazis as I heard one DS describe them!)

We are in a 30 mph limit near a school for 8-12 year olds.

The local volunteers occasionally conduct speed checks...for 30 minutes or so (then the news gets out).

They catch on average 10 speeders in that time. (NEAR a school).

I am amazed we have not yet had a serious accident...

I have to chuckle - sorry Enrico.
But when I worked in Southern Wales I often had to work with policemen from various forces - not traffic usually unless we had required them to stop a vehicle (we didn't have that power but we did have the power to direct a constable to do it for us) and one thing we quickly learn that across all forces - even ordinary policemen hated the traffic police (or vehicle Nazis as I heard one DS describe them!)[/QUOTE]

I was an ordinary policeman! You don't go straight onto traffic! I went onto traffic about half way through my career. I never hated traffic before I went on and I was never hated after I went on. It depends on the person not the job, you of all people should know that. Ask a person what is the worst problem in their town and village, most will say speeding traffic. Yet they all hate the person that tries to cure the problem in other towns and villages. I retired ten years ago. I enjoyed every minute of my job, the bad and the good, but carry on tarring us all with the same brush, all policeman are bxxstards, actually we are all different and some of us did our job diligently and fairly, seems the hypocrites amongs us will always try and blame someone other than themselves. I have never mentioned my past Jo b in my years on this site as I know how it colours beliefs, guess I was right. I will make no further comment as I agree we are off topic, sorry.
E

While off topic, I hate the abuse of out of town shopping centres that have a speed limit of 5 or 10mph. Only to see idiots in cars travelling at 30mph nearly hitting kids. I will not criticise policemen, magistrates, lawyers and barristers as I have taught so many. I have also taught the other side of the spectrum as well.

if you read my last post about me getting caught speeding (post 39) the reason I was caught was, yes I was speeding, I had been stuck behind an old guy about 80, he was doing about 25mph in a 60 limit, a 40 & then a 30 limit, I had been stuck behind him for about 7 miles, I finally got the chance to overtake & as I accelerated to get past quickly I spotted the cop hiding beside a hedge with his camera, who then kindly waved me in.
when I explained what happened he said, the old guy was within the limit, I wasn't.
My point is why is there never anything done about old drivers who seem to cause mayhem & nothing is done until they cause a major accident. lots of people these days drive too slowly, causing frustration for people behind.
People don't seem to know that your speedo in your new car is actually between 5 & 8 mph under the speed limit, if you go by your sat nav you will see, doing 70 on your sat nav you are doing about 63 on your speedo, people think they are doing 40 mph when they are actually doing less than 35 mph!

Its only a matter of time until we have average speed cameras permanently on all our roads like the A9 to Scotland. then they may as well stop making high powered cars as they'll never go over 70!

You are not allowed by law to go over 70 now! Do you not see your own point?
As for old people frustrating you......there are going to be more every year so get used to it and chill out. If that is all it takes for you to break the law then God help us all!
Think yourself lucky it was a policeman hiding in the hedge and not a child running out from it!
E :)

You are not allowed by law to go over 70 now! Do you not see your own point?
As for old people frustrating you......there are going to be more every year so get used to it and chill out. If that is all it takes for you to break the law then God help us all!
Think yourself lucky it was a policeman hiding in the hedge and not a child running out from it!
E :)

Everyone speeds at some point if they say they don't, they are lying, most people do 80 on motorways even though it is a 70 limit. As a motorcycle rider I think more emphasis should be preventing people using mobile phones than on speeding. I ride over 20 miles to work every day, & pass lots of traffic as they are usually all stuck in jams, I must pass at least a dozen people on phones every single day, why don't they target these? why are fines bigger for speeding than using phones? I wonder what the statistics are for accidents using mobiles compared to speeding?

Latest posts

Back