What exactly is the law about stolen bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trouble is, the law doesnt work how its supposed to.

A lot of people going way off subject here, and ill-informed opinion. With the new queening season nearly upon us bee crime may rise again. You might find this link a useful summary of the legal situation, and /or use it to refer the police to

(usual www etc) .inbrief.co.uk/animal-law/liability-for-animals.htm#

I am persuaded by Thorne's approach of avoiding all the wild animal arguments that will inevitably crop up. Unless, of course you want to avoid liability when you will play it for all its worth.
e.g when last season my local club apiary had to close down rapidly when the hives all went ballistic. They allegedly went over 25 yards over hedges and a road to attack an irritable (history of complaining about anything and everything before the bees were there) nearby houseowner, and seperately (unquestionably) attacked badly a lycra cyclist who had stopped for a breather the other side of a big hedge. Poor guy got very badly stung, lost his mobile phone and had to leg it big time.
- Apiary closed and removed pronto.
Countryside thieving gpt so bad in my area that a special police team was set up and continues. Few convictions but a significant reduction in overall crime, except odd pre-ferry overnight targeted burglary sprees, and less vigilante talk. But, they don't respond or follow up tracker-equiped kit if it dissappears into "Gipsy" strongholds where it might get physical. Yes, I did say Gypsy and no, I aint going to take it back, the kit owners (plural) have the tracking records.
Quite up on bees though, at an angry country-folk village hall conference (see above tracking reference) they offered free Smartwater kits (had to explain only of use on the hive parts, - which now maybe get burned). My local club burn initials into members hives now, not the thieves (see; "reduction in vigilante talk"). Police team member actually asked for advice on neighbour dispute about bee keeping near their horses!

Latest posts

Back