What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added mesh to my first attempts at floors. (wish I could cut square....),

PS Does anyone know what the kit supplied by Melindwr Valley Bees (Aberystwyth), is like. Is it good quality? Their prices are tempting. thanks

Added mesh to my first attempts at floors. (wish I could cut square....),

PS Does anyone know what the kit supplied by Melindwr Valley Bees (Aberystwyth), is like. Is it good quality? Their prices are tempting. thanks

They were at the convention, seemed nice enough.

Is that an apple tree as in turning quality wood ? Don't burn it if it is.... I know a bloke who is a real wood womble ....:drool5::drool5:

Don't worry - it's going to be put to one side - apart from the bottom foot or so which is as rotten as apear the rest should be OK - have to make room for that and the yew branches which have yet to be removed.

Elaine found a new uses for the PIR Hives around house.
a PIR nuc makes a good incubator for yeast, then the proving oven for bread when you add a 50w heater and a PID controller.
PIR hive and super makes a good honey warmer

Is that an apple tree as in turning quality wood ? Don't burn it if it is.... I know a bloke who is a real wood womble ....:drool5::drool5:

I'll do you a deal - might throw in a beeotard or two to sweeten the deal as well :D

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Cleaned all correx inspection boards, from last use!

A new use for my leather bee gloves, because now permanently switched to purple nitrile long cuff!

I used them for the last two days, in de-glazing and removing glass from a second hand 8ft x 6ft greenhouse, now it's been dismantled, now the fun starts in putting it back together....

I made my first hive stand! And it doesn't wobble! Need to paint it or something now.

Cleaned up the boxes exchanged for clean ones, and dumped the combs that had been swopped out for new comb. Great to see the solar wax extractor turning dark wax into gold!

got up at 7am today, varnished 10 homemade ply broods then went to early parenting class, stopped at shop to buy some new jeans, back at home for lunch then back out to get baby weighed, back home and second coat of varnish on broods. Dug out router to router the edges of the next 10 broods to be made on Saturday as in London tomorrow and Friday.

Then spent 2hrs trying to get baby to sleep, cooked dinner now just sat down to watch tv for hour before going to bed to be up at 7am again to give broods 3rd coat of varnish before the drive to London. I thought school holidays were sposed to be a time for rest and recharging batteries lol.

"Guided" my other half through making up his new supers...and we didn't argue once! :Angel_anim::Angel_anim:

Fixing the puncture on my "bee barrow", problem with cheap B&Q wheel barrows, they don't last long, and you get a puncture, although it was not a puncture, the seam had failed on the centre.

I should have taken it back, but more trouble than it's worth, quicker with a puncture kit.

and my new bee jacket arrived from Simon the Beekeeper, so now I look "posh or stylish?", when in the Apiary compared to my scruffy, 11 years old+ comfy bee suits, with pockets hanging off, and stains!

this is the first bee jacket I've tried and with a new spaceman type veil, so we will see how this works out.... If successful I'll get another one, for the Apiary at work, for my Office locker!

Ah......a two suit owner :)

actually this is No.4!

but the others although washed, look dirty and well used!

I would have purchased BB Wear or BJ Sheriff, as I'm from that neck of the woods - originally, a long way from home!

May be next time, I'm visiting I'll get a made to measure, until then....I just cannot justify that spend, when I can spend it on other exciting stuff!

Finished my fibreglass grid L-shaped "apiary table". Seriously pleased with it.
54e5c1a8b74a1f0552a402192ccd3d21.jpg

Last edited:
Castellated 10 supers today.
Everything on 10 except two on 9 and a couple just runners so I can use hoffman converters on SN1s to get frames drawn.
Bring on the sunshine :)

Checked stock levels of empty supers, checked frames with foundation, and checked frames with comb, in the supers.

counted spare brood boxes, and floors.

Put a complete bait hive together for Apiary 2, the roof of our office building. Put into the boot of my car to take tomorrow.

Everything on 10 except two on 9 and a couple just runners so I can use hoffman converters on SN1s to get frames drawn.

Spooky!
That's just the way I've taken to working and this winter acquired my first couple of 9-slot castellation sets.

Now, I've just got to find an appropriate means of identifying the contents on the outside ... complicated further by a few boxes of Manleys, some (in future all?) to be used for cut comb ...

Latest posts

Back