What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut my finger. The new saw (with proper guard) arrives Tuesday.

Wow Sam ... That's a wake up call ... First rule of circular saws NEVER get your hands nearer than 6" to the blade when the saw is running.

Always use push sticks or sacrificial timber to guide the timber you are cutting. One of our woodturning association members lost his index finger last year with a saw like yours without a guard - he'd been using it for years .. but a momentary lapse of concentration... oops, no finger - bone damaged too much to put it back on.

You were lucky .... but even the new saw needs RESPECT !!!

Always use push sticks or sacrificial timber to guide the timber you are cutting.

I always do that, except when I need to guide the wood, but even then I stay well away from the blade. I got this cut in an unguarded moment. I still don't know how my finger got there. Fortunately I wasn't pressing down.

You were lucky .... but even the new saw needs RESPECT !!!

Yes, but I think the new saw will be better. My current saw's kick-back guard is bent, so that the wood gets wedged between the railing and the blade often, sometimes even causing the blade to stop. The blade guard is attached to the kick-back guard, so when the kick-back guard is off (necessary when sawing narrow, straight planks), the blade is unguarded as well. Hopefully, all parts in the new saw that needs to be parallel will be parallel, so there'd be no need to take the guards off.

Hopefully, all parts in the new saw that needs to be parallel will be parallel, so there'd be no need to take the guards off.

My woes continue. I tried the new saw for 2 seconds, and in that two seconds, the blade lost a number of its teeth and the blade guard and table insert got clipped. Upon investigation it turns out that the blade is right up against the splitter, and there is no way that I can figure out to move the blade further away from that splitter. Sure, I can move the splitter up and down, but not horizontally away from the blade, so the blade cuts into the splitter. Let see what the store has to say about their product...

Attachments

• blad te dichtbij splitter.jpg
    blad te dichtbij splitter.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 65
that photo looks to me that the splitter might be adjusted too high.
As the splitter extends both above and below the axis of the blade, it needs to be 'centred' around the blade, in this case lowered to have the same clearance all round the blade.

that photo looks to me that the splitter might be adjusted too high.
As the splitter extends both above and below the axis of the blade, it needs to be 'centred' around the blade, in this case lowered to have the same clearance all round the blade.

Yep ... I reckon you are right .. mine does have some fore and aft adjustment as well ... are you sure it's in the right way up ?

Fitted an stc 1000 to my warming cabinet and gave the extractor and buckets a good clean gonna need them in the next few weeks :)

That photo looks to me that the splitter might be adjusted too high. As the splitter extends both above and below the axis of the blade, it needs to be 'centred' around the blade, in this case lowered to have the same clearance all round the blade.

I understand what you're saying, but that does not apply here. When this photo was taken, there was only about a 1 cm gap between the top of the splitter and the blade. Moving the splitter down would cause it to touch the blade in more places than just the splitter's mount. The splitter mount is simply too close to the blade (in fact, it touches the blade). If I could have moved the splitter further away from the blade horizontally (i.e. not up or down), the centring problem you mention would go away as well.

I think I may be able to move it away, but that would mean disassembling the entire table, and the user manual does not have instructions for that (which I take to imply that it is not considered a normal maintenance task).

The store says I can get my money back or I can exchange it... I think I'll exchange it first and see if the new one has the same problem.

An unboxing video of this saw on YouTube shows the user cutting a plank immediately after assembling it, with no blade or splitter adjustment whatsoever.

Interestingly, in the video, the blade guard is fastened tightly in a floating position and does not rest on the table... is this normal? I thought that the whole point of the blade guard is to straddle the blade, resting on the table, and to only move out of the way when you push a plank in there.

Yep ... I reckon you are right .. mine does have some fore and aft adjustment as well ... are you sure it's in the right way up ?

Well, the entire table with saw in it comes assembled, and the only additional assembly required is to fit the legs, the table extenders and the blade guard. So yes, it's the right way up.

Last edited:
Put the steam hose from a wallpaper stripper into my stainless steel tangential extractor while it was stood upside down and gave it two water resevoir fulls of steam to melt off residues from the innards. Cleaned up nicely :)
I changed the m6 hex screws, nuts and washers holding it together to stainless steel, also drilled and pinned the cranking handle onto the shaft as it had an annoying tendency to work loose in use.
Made a perspex cover for the Thornes 9 frame plastic tub extractor I bought at auction a few weeks ago. Looking forward to trying it out after it's had a good clean :)

I changed the m6 hex screws, nuts and washers holding it together to stainless steel, also ...

Umm. Bought some stainless bolts recently to replace some that had gone 'missing' over the winter.

Maybe worth mentioning that Toolstation (at Wickes, but also online with click and collect) have a decent range in small packets.

Might save other people from hunting around for something that some think a rarity...

Made a rudimentary mason/leaf-cutter bee house from old bamboos - now I just have to cross my fingers and hope that they think it's a des res. The purple twine is rather fetching though

My woes continue. I tried the new saw for 2 seconds, and in that two seconds, the blade lost a number of its teeth and the blade guard and table insert got clipped. Upon investigation it turns out that the blade is right up against the splitter, and there is no way that I can figure out to move the blade further away from that splitter. Sure, I can move the splitter up and down, but not horizontally away from the blade, so the blade cuts into the splitter. Let see what the store has to say about their product...

From what I can make out in the picture the splitter is on wrong way

Had a go at making a solar wax extractor today, ahead of next weeks predicted heatwave. Once again reminded myself that my woodwork skills are not quite what I think they are - and left myself with a job to finish tomorrow. Anyone else find their garage full of half finished projects?

Got extremely bored painting some new poly hives today. Second coat tomorrow.....more boredom....might try some exciting frame making later.

Got extremely bored painting some new poly hives today. Second coat tomorrow.....more boredom....might try some exciting frame making later.

If you use outdoor spray paint it dries in an hour ...less in the sunshine so that you can do all the boxes in an afternoon

Melted down some shallow frames in my homemade steamer. Got just under a kg of clean wax, some consolation from 17 blown osr frames :-(

I finished my plywood double walled warming cabinet. Managed to do so will all fingers intact and no electric shocks.
Will be starting the solar wax extractor this week I think.

spent this morning rendering wax using my steamer, now needing to find a bigger container to store it all - keeping the candle making for those long winter evenings.
and just finished a session of "Tappy-Tappy-Tap" (aka Pam Ayres).
Three super's worth of frames now ready for the flow that's about to start as the blackberry flowers are just starting to open around here.
It'll be a good source for a while as there are hedgerows covered in them, even made of them, for miles around me.

Latest posts

Back