What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked my main apiary in the sunshine this morning. None of the full hives needed supers yet but some of nucs I’m due to sell at the WS auction at the end of the month look like they could be full colonies by then!!!!
Check a couple of apiaries in range of OSR and saw that they are starting to fill the supers I put on last week.
Put a few bait hives up around the apiaries.
While I was out and about this afternoon I delivered wick bait stations and AH identification literature to owners of the gardens some of my hives are in.
IMG_2836.jpeg

Have a chat with them regarding the crucial benifit the Dandies play for all early spring emerging pollinators.
Yes I did send an email but no response,just emailed Jane hutt, they seem to have had a lot of publicity creating a corridor of trees which I assume is going to cost the tax payer quite a lot, I just rang them to delay mowing for a month or two, see if I get a response but I'm not holding my breath

Council have just mowed the grass verges that were full of dandelions in bloom. Hopeless!!!
Had a council worker on a little tractor coming up my close spraying all the footpaths with weedkiller ,The council give off the impression that they want to help the environment, but in reality the opposite seems to be the case .
Did not manage to speak to the operator, but he is just an employee following orders .
I will send a email to my local council and see if I get a reply .
John

Had a council worker on a little tractor coming up my close spraying all the footpaths with weedkiller ,The council give off the impression that they want to help the environment, but in reality the opposite seems to be the case .
Did not manage to speak to the operator, but he is just an employee following orders .
John
So annoying

Sunny, warm and calm today. Willow, dandelion and blackthorn with bees. I decided to check on a heavy hive with bees between all brood frames and a lot of capping wax under the mesh floor, to assess brood nest size (given our mild winter).
Three frames of brood, space for Q to lay and a lot of crystallised Ivy stores (being used).
I will leave apiary full inspections another fortnight, as planned
(Mid-April usually gives willow and dandelion super honey). Supers will go on next week.

Added brood boxes to a couple of single poly nucs.. More to do but rushed for time.

John
Glycophosphate I expect
Awful stuff.....Councils....the perfect combination of ignorance and idiocy!

As much as I want to go out to the apiaries today, I guess it's another day in the shop. Getting an April snowstorm.
Looks like we're going to get 8-12 inches. Maybe next week...after the total eclipse which passes directly over our house.
I plan on being in an apiary to video the bees' reaction...if I can get there. They're telling us there will be 50-100k eclipse watchers
invading our area.

I have done nothing again, too cold and wet. I have only opened 10 nucs so far this year and meanwhile I hear and see beeks in my area already adding a 2nd bb and supers when there is no significant flow until the end of April??

Just had a look for Poppy as that was the only hive we couldn't find eggs, although they did have a small amount of capped brood, no eggs couldn't find a queen. Took them back to one brood box as the colony is small and the top box has split so needs some tlc. Ordered a new queen just in case, if it does prove it's queen right, we'll despatch Winnie as in concerned about the temperament although a prolific layer and the biggest of the colonies by far. Problems problems
🐝 🐝🐝 🐝🐝

I have done nothing again, too cold and wet. I have only opened 10 nucs so far this year and meanwhile I hear and see beeks in my area already adding a 2nd bb and supers when there is no significant flow until the end of April??
there's always one or two

Latest posts

Back