What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping there might be an opportunity to do some inspections this weekend, but I don't see much sense in it with wind gusting to 45mph forecast.

James
Similar here. Mid week next week shows an improvement………at the moment.

Similar here. Mid week next week shows an improvement………at the moment.
It keeps changing, you just need to grab an opportunity when it presents itself. It was raining all morning but stopped by 11am and there was even the odd patch of blue sky and an occasional glimpse of the sun. It was worth the effort if only to remove excess stores and give the queens laying space, the nuc I hived up has drawn the foundations I gave them, with capped honey arcs in some. The Amm nucs have been bringing in quite a bit as well looking at all the new, white cappings, just as well they are two tier.

Temperatures of 14 so I thought I would check a couple of WBCs in a meadow. Opened the first one, 11 frames of bees, 8 of brood. Bees were completely calm so I put on a Qx and super.
Second hive which is 20m from the first were solid with bees so I decided to put a super on without looking at the frames. By the time I had closed up I’d taken 20+ stings!!!
It’s really strange, I have changed the genetics in that hive 3 times in the last 4 years because they always seem grumpy, could it be negative energy lines? 😉🤷‍♂️

Temperatures of 14 so I thought I would check a couple of WBCs in a meadow. Opened the first one, 11 frames of bees, 8 of brood. Bees were completely calm so I put on a Qx and super.
Second hive which is 20m from the first were solid with bees so I decided to put a super on without looking at the frames. By the time I had closed up I’d taken 20+ stings!!!
It’s really strange, I have changed the genetics in that hive 3 times in the last 4 years because they always seem grumpy, could it be negative energy lines? 😉🤷‍♂️
Try moving them and see if their demeanour improves ...

Just got back from moving my 5 colonies to this seasons apiary, took much longer to move than I had hoped due to not being to get very close with my car as the ground is saturated. Luckily I had a new fishing barrow which works well to move hives on, managed to get 2 on.

Tomorrows job is to visit the bees and give them their first inspections, Hoping to clip and mark my queens which I’ve not done before and add supers to the colonies too.

Try moving them and see if their demeanour improves ...
I think I would exchange them with a well behaved colony but being in a wbc they are difficult to pack up to travel to a different location. Maybe if I’m at a loose end when the season gets going. 🤣

I think I would exchange them with a well behaved colony but being in a wbc they are difficult to pack up to travel to a different location. Maybe if I’m at a loose end when the season gets going. 🤣
It would be interesting to put a well behaved colony in place of them and see if the locatiion has an impact on their demenour and vice versa ...

Yesterday a few colony’s foraging untill 7pm mainly dandelions, temp reached 17c at that apiary.
Hill billy bees love the suburbs!
Glad things are looking up, Im still waiting for a temperature of 13 degrees with little wind; fat chance of that with another storm rolling in on Saturday. I think thats 11 storms in six months this year. :hairpull:

Have taken over as Apiary manager in my new home in Devon. Only 3 colonies. I took the opportunity of a good weather window to do a first inspection ( no rain today, so far, first time in weeks).
All 3 had brood, one strong, one fair, and one weak. Rationalised boxes, cleaned up brace comb. Will do more to sort them in coming inspections. If bees comply I will be doing a few splits.

Got to an out apiary, the colony I'd trialled on double brood over winter has 13 frames of brood including a few patches of capped drone brood. The adjacent hive on single brood is on nine frames of brood (not bad as the previous winter they'd just about clung on and had started the season on about a frame with half the other frames having been eaten by a mouse.

A QE and a shallow put onto each. Tally ho!

One nuc hived, other nuc put to mini nuc pending probable termination of the queen as there's sacbrood.

On to the next site!

Quick question. If the hives are on double brood, what am I looking for before I put on a super?

Visited the bees I moved yesterday for a preliminary inspection, despite being inside a copse there was still quite a stiff breeze due to the pronounced hill of they're on.

Three colonies have 5 frames of brood, one has 4 the other has 8. I put my foundationless suppers (National broods) above queen excluders on all but the weakest colony incase the nice weather brings on a flow from the farmers OSR that’s 3/4 of a mile away.
IMG_6755.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6757.jpeg
    IMG_6757.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back