What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But you have to specify the make you will be using as the VAP fittings are customised

Though you can these days get a converter to allow some batteries to be interchangeable. For instance, there are converters to allow switching between DeWalt and Makita tools and batteries (also Einhell, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Parkside (Aldi?), Worx (Lidl?), though not always both ways).

For me it makes the InstantVap more appealing because I'd want to have batteries I could use in power tools too rather than just a few times a year and the converters give the potential to avoid getting stuck with one manufacturer's battery "ecosystem".

At the moment I'm trying to find battery-powered garden tools that will allow my father-in-law to continue to do stuff in the garden (petrol engine tools are just too heavy for him these days) and can double up for use in the apiary and provide power for a possible InstantVap.

James

Ah. Didn’t know that.

I only found out recently myself. I think they're generally around £25, but if that means I can choose the tools I want to buy rather than being stuck with those offered by the brand whose tools I might already have then I'm thinking it's probably worth it.

Internally I believe most of the battery packs are pretty much identical and I can't help feeling that it would be much better for the consumer and the environment if there were a single standard for batteries so that they were interchangeable between brands, but of course that would mean the manufacturers losing their ability to attempt to tie people in to their own product range.

James

Went down to my apiary in a small orchard today. They performed pretty pooly last year i'm guessing as they are surrounded by 8 large laylandi and not much light gets through. Anyway went down with a little handheld chainsaw i got off Amazon for £70 hoping to get a couple down before the thing broke,but surprisingly it did a great job and all the trees are trimmed right back. Sooo much brighter there now and the bees immediately started flying. Topped a couple up with fondant and vaped them too so a good job done there.

I've now vaped and checked all 37 of my colonies and so far all are still alive and looking pretty good.(y)

Get a cheap 2Ah to heat it up first
I have a 3ah but between the 2x6ah and the 3ah I got about 45 done. If as I hope I will be doing my summer treatments in the same way I’m going to need another couple of 6ah to do all mine in a day.

It's hard to believe, but just a bit over a week, and the days will be at their longest down here.
As the blistering sun now reaches its zenith, the ants and lizards are in full swing and the aromas in the apiaries is a powerful sensory combination of the aroma of dry gum leaves and bark (and all crunchy underfoot) , formic acid wafting in the warm air from the inevitable crushed ants, honey and propolis aromas from the hives and sounds of beautiful songbirds in full voice up in the gums.

It's hard to believe, but just a bit over a week, and the days will be at their longest down here.
As the blistering sun now reaches its zenith, the ants and lizards are in full swing and the aromas in the apiaries is a powerful sensory combination of the aroma of dry gum leaves and bark (and all crunchy underfoot) , formic acid wafting in the warm air from the inevitable crushed ants, honey and propolis aromas from the hives and sounds of beautiful songbirds in full voice up in the gums.
Whlie here it is dark, damp and the road outside is muddy due to the farmer harvesting his maize crop from a soaking wet field which then had about 5cm rain on it and bringing a tide of mud out of the gate bypassing the drain and bringing it down the street in the village. Not flooding the houses but making a right mess in the road. However, as a plus no lizards, snakes, wasps or hornets at the moment and the bees still alive and well........... Like the Irishman with the large family said, be thankful for small Murphys as his wife gives birth again.

Whlie here it is dark, damp and the road outside is muddy due to the farmer harvesting his maize crop from a soaking wet field which then had about 5cm rain on it and bringing a tide of mud out of the gate bypassing the drain and bringing it down the street in the village. Not flooding the houses but making a right mess in the road. However, as a plus no lizards, snakes, wasps or hornets at the moment and the bees still alive and well........... Like the Irishman with the large family said, be thankful for small Murphys as his wife gives birth again.
500mm forecast in Cairns in the next 24 hours.:eek: The yearly total in London is 600 something I think. We could have 20mm today and hardly see it tomorrow because the evaporation here is massive this time of year.

Checked all my Abelo hives today.
Noted one of them had several bees on the floor blocking the mouse guard entrance.
Gave it a quick clean.
Will have to keep an eye on this one.

Christmas vape on all five hives, haven't put the boards underneath to count as that means taking the insulation off, too much faff.

Delivered a gift of a jar of honey and a Christmas card to the land owner today.

Always a nice experience as people are so very grateful.
Especially at this time of year as you know they will be eating that honey on boxing day.

Lovely
No e on end of Hawthorn
Down to my last 60 jars of Hawthorne I wish I had more,we took £256 in sale’s yesterday at the mini fair the little helpers were selling the honey well.
We then delivered a further £191 worth of honey/candles to myriad organics after the fair a good day
all in all

Spelling isn’t one of my strong points 🙂

Back