What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
500mm forecast in Cairns in the next 24 hours.:eek: The yearly total in London is 600 something I think. We could have 20mm today and hardly see it tomorrow because the evaporation here is massive this time of year.
Shocking there now. Over 1000mm in less than a week in many areas. They might end up with 1500mm in a week.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/c...-updates/6dbf53c7-d797-4352-95ae-7dcaa1dfd5a3Meanwhile down here it is mild and dry. Pottering around in the apiaries adding a few honey supers here and there and taking a few away where my optimism got the better of me.

Had to check up on a few hive in the rain this morning. Temperature 12-13c and all the empty takeaway containers that are in the isolated pocket between layers of PIR above the crownboards were stuffed with bees. The must just enjoy hanging around in the warmth I suppose 😁.

Had to check up on a few hive in the rain this morning. Temperature 12-13c and all the empty takeaway containers that are in the isolated pocket between layers of PIR above the crownboards were stuffed with bees. The must just enjoy hanging around in the warmth I suppose 😁.
I found the same yesterday 🤗

Bees today also had nice weather. Today the sky was once it was almost always - blue. 1st picture is picture of just a sky, 2nd picture shows air pollution-low gray clouds.. So when some people say they live healthy life and still had some nasty diseases - well what about air they inhale? Greed will end us so badly - better we don't deserve..

Attachments

• 1703108355148.jpg
    1703108355148.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1703108355139.jpg
    1703108355139.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 0
Winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, the darkest day, but every day that follows will become that bit brighter and longer. Soon be time to be with the bees again. Let the solstice mark new beginnings and the sharing of nature's blessings...
.....but with a lot less wind please!!!!!!!!!!!Wind Free transparent .jpeg

Winter solstice

Indeed so. I'm not a religious person by the most remote stretch of the imagination, but I do feel that the passing of the Winter solstice is worth marking as the seasons start to turn back towards warmer (hopefully) times, regrowth and renewal.

James

Bees today also had nice weather. Today the sky was once it was almost always - blue. 1st picture is picture of just a sky, 2nd picture shows air pollution-low gray clouds.. So when some people say they live healthy life and still had some nasty diseases - well what about air they inhale? Greed will end us so badly - better we don't deserve..
Wot, no vapour trails??

Winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, the darkest day, but every day that follows will become that bit brighter and longer. Soon be time to be with the bees again. Let the solstice mark new beginnings and the sharing of nature's blessings...
.....but with a lot less wind please!!!!!!!!!!!View attachment 38418

Stop eating sprouts!

Wot, no vapour trails??
Not some mysterious mumbo jumbo chemtrails, just " good old" human industrial and such pollution.
When talking about pollution, I read that You will have soon lithium mine in Cornwall, " my condolences" but who knows, maybe next one will be around my place.. Our mouth are full of ecology but in reality we are poisoning around us in increased amount, more than ever..

just " good old" human industrial and such pollution.
I remember my grandfather telling me that when he was a child (he was born in 1913) the river Aman which runs a field's width away from Brynmair, with three tinplate works and countless mines spewing into it was always a vivid yellow colour, in fact he recalls being late for school one day as he and his friends went for a swim on the way and telling the teacher he was late as his father was ill (he died not long after) and immediately getting a resounding slap for lying - as the water had stained his skin yellow!!
But even with all the pollution, the river still had a good stock of trout, salmon, bullheads and stone loaches

.....but with a lot less wind please!!!!!!!!!!!View attachment 38418
The shortest day is tomorrow
Winter solstice is at 3.27 am

The shortest day is tomorrow
Winter solstice is at 3.27 am

Whilst I was aware that the solstice is sometimes on the 21st and sometimes on the 22nd it's only just struck me that in the same year it may occur on 21st for some and 22nd for others. So this year for example it will be 22:27pm on 21st in New York.

Not that too many people in the UK will notice the difference in daylight hours this year: the difference between 21st and 22nd is less than one second.

James

yes it is. However I hope to be snugged up in bed then.
It's here already...the morning is bright and fine, but of course it is the longest day of the year down here. I don't like the longest day, it gets here too quickly and then it's all downhill. Anyhow, I look forward to the updates over there as the flowers start to appear.

Latest posts

Back