What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vaped, hefted and strimmed around the hives. One colony was light so added some fondant. They were the ones reluctant to take down the syrup in the autumn. A few flyers but most stayed tucked away. Damp and cold today. Don’t blame them!

Neil that looks brilliant are you planning a few lights on the house to?
Oh no, I’m very much in the Bah Humbug camp. The lights a purely a commercial thing so as not to lose sales during hours of darkness! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh no, I’m very much in the Bah Humbug camp. The lights a purely a commercial thing so as not to lose sales during hours of darkness! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
:iagree: I conceded to SWMB's request to having lights on the potted christmas tree next to the front door, on the veranda under the balcony as she agreed to not having any decorations inside the house.
bliss..........

On the rare occasions I have been driving around over the last month or so it seems that far fewer people have been chucking sets of lights at a hedge or tree in the garden in the name of "Christmas decorations" than has been the case for quite some years.

James

On the rare occasions I have been driving around over the last month or so it seems that far fewer people have been chucking sets of lights at a hedge or tree in the garden in the name of "Christmas decorations" than has been the case for quite some years.

James
something to do with a combination of common sense and the prices the profiteering energy companies charge for electricity probably

Very quickly checked (without touching any frames) and did an OA trickle on my double decker Payne’s Nuc today. Plenty of weight still and bees filling all the seams which was pleasing to see.
Hoping they continue through the rest of the winter like this and get going in the Spring.
Bit of fondant on top just in case and will heft in a few weeks time.

Checked on my weakest colony which I thought was dead. No activity when others where flying. Very much alive.
Bottom bee space super on top of a top bee space brood so worried cluster won't be able to move up. Inserted foam with holes so that queen doesn't get left behind as they move up.

Yesterday I watched a fair few nucs going out for toilet duties , I have two on a pillar away from the rest facing all the others but they didn’t come out both of them, maybe it was because the sun wasn’t quite tutching them and they are facing northwest rather than south west like the others so warming the back of the nucs rather than the front?

Today was sunny and without wind, bees went out roaring.. They were everywhere.. On dandelions and dead nettle. We were working around hazels, soon it will offer its pollen and for difference than last season all are full with catkins. So, hopefully bees can take advantage of it, sometimes when weather behave landing boards turn into yellow due to its pollen..

Latest posts

Back