What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With an eye on next season (and being a more prepared better beekeeper!), I've started cleaning up equipment.
I'm currently going through old brood boxes, with frames that did have wax moth....I was going to put these (cleaned up) frames into the melt down pile, but now thinking, I should let the bees tidy them up and repair the (damaged areas) that I've scrapped off back to the foundation (or in some cases thin air !) saving both time and money for me, and energy for the bees. Is that reasonable...or should I just get on and melt them down? The two pics below hopefully illustrate.

IMG_9458.jpegIMG_9457.jpeg

Last edited:
On Monday - when it was a sunny 12C - I fed all my nucs and mini nucs. The mini nucs had consumed the fondant I gave them a week ago, and, being a few hundred bees only, the nucs were running light. (Side feeders don't work well in cold weather so I feed above topbars. and space is limited.).

Main hives were heavy, full size nucs OK but topped up fondant.
Forecast frosts will slow down food usage.

Checked on client colonies... They're a bit light and have all stormed through their first lot of fondant. Methinks there will be a lot of fondant feeding this winter.

FLIRd the full colonies - all still alive, all still nailed down with stores.
FLIR_20221118_033313_910.jpgFLIR_20221118_033323_886.jpgFLIR_20221118_033334_036.jpg

The one with the mega mite load has the smallest cluster and is still dropping ~40 mites/day after 5 vapes.
Perhaps it's too late for them, but I'll keep vaping to give them the best possible chance.

Checked on client colonies... They're a bit light and have all stormed through their first lot of fondant. Methinks there will be a lot of fondant feeding this winter.
why do you think there'll be a lot of fondant feeding? Interested as I've been a bit surprised by the lower weights than I expected recently.

Right below the apiary in the churchyard today to provide a pop-up lunchtime bee event for an 800-person Conference at St John at Hackney Church in Clapton, NE London.

IMG_20221118_130222785~2.jpg

Gave away Church honey, made a box of frames and talked bees, food production & pollination and how humans can learn from a colony.

Contract to manage eight rooftop colonies (there's a lift most of the way) about 100 feet above ground level gives spectacular views across London.

Where did you get your crates from? My jars are in boxes currently but I’m worried about the weight and the cardboard failing.

"Traditional" greengrocers can sometimes be persuaded to give them away, though our nearest now wants money for them. I often use them in the garden and last time I wanted any it turned out cheaper to buy them from Ebay I think. If there are other sources I'd also be keen to know them.

James

I regularly carry 20 12oz jars of honey in those plastic crates, never had one fail, but beware, the ones you get from Lidl are a bit flimsier and although they can easily and safely carry 20 the sides of the crates tend to buckle and be a bit wibbly wobbly

Mmm, back to the drawing board then.
The ones you can pick up from greengrocers are fine for 20 x 12ox jars - I've been using them for years without a problem. Unfortunately, the grocers have realised that there is a market for these trays and they are asking more for them than the 'jar of honey' I used to get away with just to take them away.

They are selling regularly on ebay ... search for mushroom trays .. if you are lucky you might find some locally - it's the postage that kills the cost ... these are about the cheapest I've found with postage..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22513745...HB7znrA+5YpJxl15K5RYBGYSY=|tkp:Bk9SR5Kky46SYQ

Bail arm crates are the ones you want. Mine take 40? Jars no problem. Stack beautifully when full and even better when empty

"Bail arm crates?" I thought. Then I saw the photo. "Oh, supermarket delivery boxes!".

We had a few of those that for one reason or another had been left behind after a delivery. Then one of the supermarkets replaced theirs and we got a whole load.

James

Latest posts

Back