What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No evidence of brood capping on the varroa tray, so I did an OAV on all hives. Lovely day for it, full sun. A few Bees flying
This is a nuc of mine just over a week ago. Most had plenty of eggs and at least 2 frames with BIAS. I suggest any thinking of vaping hang fire till we’ll into December, certainly at least for my area or any other that’s had decent ivy.

Attachments

• IMG_0689.MOV
    22.7 MB
I spent yesterday morning moving spare equipment in my main apiary. My friend strimmed an area and we marked out the position of my new shed.
We set out an levelled some reclaimed concrete blocks to raise the base above the ground. I have been given the shed. It is 6ft x8ft but has a pitched roof and is 7 ft tall at the eaves . It is a bit like a tardis and appears larger inside because of the height.
I will be able to store all my spare Poly Nucs inside and place a shelf in front of the window to do some grafting.
If we have a fine day next week we will dismantle it and repair some minor damage to the shiplap lower boards. my beekeeping buddy's husband has a flat bed transit truck and has offered to transport it the mile to the apiary. I am trying to obtain some proper creosote to coat it inside and out but they tell me they can only sell to a farmer!!!

Sad to have to render down a dozen beautifully drawn brood frames. These were from my hive that had CBPV then a wasp attack so were cleaned and dry but can't take any chances reusing them in case the virus persists in the wax. More candles then!

Attended an internal charity event by a local business and had some of my honey (OSR, summer, ivy/baker's) for them to taste plus a cheap supermarket one to compare to. Only one person didn't notice a difference!

Attended an internal charity event by a local business and had some of my honey (OSR, summer, ivy/baker's) for them to taste plus a cheap supermarket one to compare to. Only one person didn't notice a difference!
Nice one Wilco,
How many did the taste test?

Spent the afternoon sorting out honey for the local village Xmas fayre. I’ve got 12 different honeys from 9 different apiaries on sale.
Not sure if I can be bothered to do some comb or not.

Nothing. But... unbelievably my hubby suggested I should look for another apiary site and "get more bees" (I was discussing my plans to retire in a couple of years - he and the bees don't really see eye to eye 😂😂). Strike while the iron's hot- I have heard from a local-ish farmer that they have some land earmarked for beehives so I'm going to take a look next weekend. 🤞

At talks on bees, I always ensure the organisers provide teaspoons for honey tasting. It promotes honey like nothing else.

unbelievably my hubby suggested I should look for another apiary site and "get more bees" (I was discussing my plans to retire in a couple of years - he and the bees don't really see eye to eye
Watch out with that second apiary. Maybe he’s planning a move of the home one there? 😉

Watch out with that second apiary. Maybe he’s planning a move of the home one there? 😉
It'll be my fourth 😉, no he knows the garden bees are here to stay - maybe he just wants me out of the way even more often to give him more golf time. He had already worked out how many hives would be capacity at each apiary versus how many I have. He has even let me commandeer the van he was going to sell as my bee-mobile 🚐 😁

Went to collect the unpainted poly nucs currently being used as storage, they are looking a bit tired and can do with a lick of paint. Couldn't do much more thanks to my back, no chance of hefting :(
Haven't seen the bees for four weeks so it was great to see them all flying well when I got to the hives. A couple were particularly busy with orientation flights and some very recent capping debris below the hive. Managed to get a picture below the OMF, the cluster is looking nice.
from below.jpg

Ah.
How many hives do you have , Kaz?
13 of my own and I "look after" 2 for an elderly lady in her 90s in the next village, they were her husband's 🥰. What started out as "I'll just have one in the garden" has become a bit of an obsession - they just growed like Topsy 🤭😂

Last edited:
Nothing. But... unbelievably my hubby suggested I should look for another apiary site and "get more bees" (I was discussing my plans to retire in a couple of years - he and the bees don't really see eye to eye 😂😂). Strike while the iron's hot- I have heard from a local-ish farmer that they have some land earmarked for beehives so I'm going to take a look next weekend. 🤞
I’d be asking him what he’s bought! Or why he wants me out of the way more:D:D

• Haha
Reactions: Kaz

Latest posts

Back