What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put varroa boards in a few days ago, to monitor brood cappings, rather than varroa. Today there were too many varroa on the board for comfort ( I never count) and few brood cappings. As it was 16 degrees I looked in one hive, still a bit of capped brood in centre of 4 frames ( about 4 inches diameter in the middle), but very few eggs and uncapped larvae. Think I will be doing winter OA in a couple of weeks. Normally done around early to mid December
I have quite a few with little brood and will be doing the same .
It’s taking me a week to vape all

Hefted the hives. All very heavy. Struggled to lift a couple. Bees flying. I need to trim back the some of the undergrowth in the apiary’s but that will have to wait until a cold spell. They didn’t like my hedge trimmer last time I tried.

Well, well... It does look sufficiently similar to the Evolution model that I reckon they must come off the same production line. I wasn't aware that they were sold under another brand.

https://www.diy.com/departments/evo...corded-table-saw-r255mts/0849713077851_BQ.prd

James
I bought the Screwfix version of the Rage5-s yesterday. After assembling it, I looked at the facebook Rage5 group where I read someone saying that the B&Q Parker was the same model - and much cheaper. I needed mine to be portable and foldable, so no regrets. My better half insists that we keep space in the garage to keep the table tennis table up so available space is ... somewhat restricted. :rolleyes:

I bought the Screwfix version of the Rage5-s yesterday. After assembling it, I looked at the facebook Rage5 group where I read someone saying that the B&Q Parker was the same model - and much cheaper. I needed mine to be portable and foldable, so no regrets. My better half insists that we keep space in the garage to keep the table tennis table up so available space is ... somewhat restricted. :rolleyes:

Given a little effort put into making sure it's set up properly I've found it to be perfectly adequate for my needs. The one significant modification I have made is to fit a soft start module to it. Without it I found the blade can wobble a bit when the power is applied. I also found I mostly use it without the blade guard (because I'm often using it with a crosscut sled or something like that), so I 3d-printed a plug for the vacuum port that receives the hose for the blade guard (which Screwfix don't supply, but can be bought from Evolution's online shop).

James

Planted some snowdrop and crocus bulbs around the bee yard. Then just enjoyed sitting watching the bee’s busy foraging on the ivy and bringing it home to the hive. Can’t believe this mild weather we are having at the moment in the north lakes, Cumbria, exceptionally unusual. Hope we don’t suffer for it later.
View attachment IMG_8579.MOV

Given a little effort put into making sure it's set up properly I've found it to be perfectly adequate for my needs. The one significant modification I have made is to fit a soft start module to it. Without it I found the blade can wobble a bit when the power is applied. I also found I mostly use it without the blade guard (because I'm often using it with a crosscut sled or something like that), so I 3d-printed a plug for the vacuum port that receives the hose for the blade guard (which Screwfix don't supply, but can be bought from Evolution's online shop).

James
Thanks James. Very helpful. It has taken me a VERY long time to take the plunge and get a table saw (fear of an accident) so I'm going to take my time and learn what I can even before I switch it on.

I assume I've not seen honey bees foraging on windfall apples because between me, the deer, badgers, birds, foxes and sometimes the wasps, they don't tend to be around very long. Perhaps also because there's so much ivy available. I can quite understand it though. The juice from the apples we pressed yesterday is exceptionally sweet.

James

Latest posts

Back