What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea, to be honest. Could be that they're not ideal for honey bees but work for other insects I guess. They've got to get pollinated somehow :)

James
I love the way that bees don't read the same books as us, yesterday our old pear tree was buzzing with honey bees even though they are also working dandelions,laurel and osr amongst other plants.Apologies for the standard of my photography it is on par with my beekeeping skills !20220411_110055.jpg

Think I read somewhere that they only visit pear blossom as a last resort as it’s not great for forage?
I saw several honey bees on my pear blossom yesterday and lots on dandelions when in the field with the dog.
I understand the pear nectar is weak and thus passed over for better stuff if it’s available.

Was hoping to inspect today as one of the local BKA gals has swarm cells already :oops: but wind is from the NE and too breezy and cold. Contented myself with wandering round the garden checking on new plantings (all ok) and a few shrubs that arrived last week that need planting this week. The bees have already found the viburnums and are collecting copious amounts of pale pollen.
D647684F-5664-462C-80DD-C671CB0B2BED.jpegC88A5C2B-4FE3-45E4-A9AC-00A1A268B6DC.jpeg

Similar here, inspection delayed as despite the sunshine, the wind is too strong and cool. Lots of bees flying and loads of pollen going in. I haven’t seen any drones yet, thankfully!

Similar here, inspection delayed as despite the sunshine, the wind is too strong and cool.

And the same here, too. Quite frustrating, and not just because of the bees: when the wind drops it's warm enough to be out in shorts and a t-shirt, but otherwise it isn't. I've been out in the veggie plot and I keep having to take my jacket off and then put it on again five minutes later.

James

Inspected 8 of mine today. All are on brood +1/2 . All looking really good with a range of between 4 (black bees) and 14 (gingers) frames of brood. Mostly very well behaved with tons of nurse bees in the colonies. Ample pollen and stores in all of them. The four strongest were supered and the odd frame of stores was removed and replaced with foundation in the strongest. One colony with 12 frames bias had Qcells with eggs in so I destroyed the cells and supered them. Every colony had drones emerged.

In snowdonia for a few daysnon a b and b Spotted a lot of bees on two huge camelia bushes and cherry laurel in their garden. I asked the owner if there were any hives near she looked at me as if I were nuts!!!!

In snowdonia for a few daysnon a b and b Spotted a lot of bees on two huge camelia bushes and cherry laurel in their garden. I asked the owner if there were any hives near she looked at me as if I were nuts!!!!
if you’re a beekeeper. You ARE nuts

Checked all of mine today, leaving the demon hive for last. God they were awful, really nasty, far worse than last year. Brood and a half rammed with bad tempered bees. Super added a couple of weeks ago for space already filling up, have given them another to reduce congestion. Queen has got to go. Not sure if I can wait to requeen from one of my other hives, maybe this time I just buy one in.

Checked all of mine today, leaving the demon hive for last. God they were awful, really nasty, far worse than last year. Brood and a half rammed with bad tempered bees. Super added a couple of weeks ago for space already filling up, have given them another to reduce congestion. Queen has got to go. Not sure if I can wait to requeen from one of my other hives, maybe this time I just buy one in.
I would!!!!!

Topped up the tub of water outside my greenhouse again as it was seeing quite a few visitors, including one that was quite a large worker and exceptionally bright yellow (and I really do mean yellow, not amber). Looked like she'd been in a pollen fight. Her "face" was yellow, the hairs on her thorax and abdomen were bright yellow and all the joints of her legs had fine yellow lines along the edges. I wasn't even certain she was a honey bee at first. Sadly I didn't have my phone on me to take a photo.

James

On Inspection yesterday I found a 14x12 polyhive absolutely overflowing with bees and 11 frames of brood.
Today I took a mixture of drawn frames and new foundation and switched frames around and made the hive a double brood 14x12. I have never seen a hive this full of bees and brood this early in the year.

Following the swarm prevention split last Monday I went back in today to check on the chosen remaining cell and knock down later emergency queen cells. Based on my estimation of the cell/larval age last week I reckon the new queen is due to emerge on Friday +/- a day.
IMG_20220412_124154.jpg The chosen one!

IMG_20220412_123812.jpgIMG_20220412_123953.jpg A few of the emergency queen cells.

IMG_20220412_131538.jpg Proto-Regicide

and some bonus pics:
IMG_20220412_123542.jpg Festooning on a foundationless frame that went in last week after making the split. It was more impressive, but some of the "webs" broke before I got the camera ready.
IMG_20220412_122510.jpg They're still making progress in the super.

Moved on two of Ceri’s nucs. Stuffed with brood and few stores so popped a litre on top of each.
I'm hiving up some tomorrow and Thursday plus adding supers to some.
Seems like nucs are well advanced this season in comparison to last.

Inspected 8 more today,I thought the 8 I looked at yesterday were doing well but these today were even better! Ranging from 10 to 16 frames BIAS and all bursting with nurse bees and huge slabs of sealed brood. Removed any deep frames of stores and replaced them with foundation to keep them busy and give the Q some more room to lay. Lots of play cups appearing some with eggs in. Supers added to all colonies. It's going to get interesting over the next few weeks!

Inspected 8 more today,I thought the 8 I looked at yesterday were doing well but these today were even better! Ranging from 10 to 16 frames BIAS and all bursting with nurse bees and huge slabs of sealed brood. Removed any deep frames of stores and replaced them with foundation to keep them busy and give the Q some more room to lay. Lots of play cups appearing some with eggs in. Supers added to all colonies. It's going to get interesting over the next few weeks!
I wouldn't describe them as play cups if they have eggs in!

First inspection. All 6 colonies through winter. 4 - 7 frames with brood except one that has filled the super with brood up under the crown board and left capped stores and pollen below them in the brood box. ? They were acting weird last year too !!
Here we go . . . . Ben

Latest posts

Back