What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a beginner round to see how badly I keep bees.

Involved him in filling mininucs and queening them :paparazzi:

A few of us can
Even through the glazed expressions of our victims :D
...and given suitable interludes for refreshments,I could sit and listen to you guys for 3 hours - no prob.
ps bees seem to be enjoying the meadowsweet this morning.
Dave

...and given suitable interludes for refreshments,I could sit and listen to you guys for 3 hours - no prob.
ps bees seem to be enjoying the meadowsweet this morning.
Dave

Are you sure?? Sounds like an invitation to me dani.
You will have to supply the refreshments monarda, tea and scones with runny honey pls..

You will have to supply the refreshments monarda, tea and scones with runny honey pls..

Ooooooh sounds like heaven...... I've really missed those afternoons spent discussing failures and successes at the BKA over a cuppa and cake!

not exactly the couple of pints of Speckled Hen and a packet of Dry Roasted that I had in mind but we could make it a " bring your own " I suppose.

Took off a fully capped super of honey this morning.
Returned home, uncapped and spun it off.
Safely stored in 30lb honey bucket.
Then returned the wet super to the hive.
A most enjoyable day.

Checked swarm of yesterday.....

I went back today to see how the swarm that I boxed up yesterday were doing. They seemed fine, so I rather unceremoniously moved their frames into a 'proper' nuc-hive, shaking in the stragglers. The nuc had a feeder added where I added some fondant. I will leave them for a month now, so they settle. Then I will see if I can find the queen....if there is one of course. After all, it's not always that straight forward is it? :rolleyes:

not exactly the couple of pints of Speckled Hen and a packet of Dry Roasted that I had in mind but we could make it a " bring your own " I suppose.

The ale sounds fine to me.. Its summer time though so it will have to be some local cider and pork scratchings

Last edited:
couple of pints of Speckled Hen

Was the brew really named after the MG cars runabout that lived in the spray shop... called the Old speckled one?

Went down the apairy today to sort out a few colonies. Arrived just in time to see a large swarm (my first of the season) that had spent 9 days high up in a tree (way beylond the reach of my 3 piece ladder) finally moving from the tree to hive itself in a 5 comb nucleus hive (ignoring the several brood chambers I had sited as baits on the tops of other hives. There were so many bees that they completely filled the nucleus hive including the roof space with thousands hung out on the front. I moved them into full size hive and they occupied a full set of 11 frames. Didn't see the queen so no idea where it came from (my records show all but the current years queens were marked & clipped so I suspect it came from one of the colonies I had requeened a month or so ago)

I also saw something today I have never seen before (unfortunately didn't have my camera with me). I was checking through a batch of standard frame nuclei to see if queens had mated and started laying & also mark any queens found . In one there were a couple of frames containing single eggs on the bottom of the cells but they didn't quite look right as they were laid down somewhat flat at funny angles. I then noticed a worker with just its head and shoulders sticking out a cell as it climbed out to reveal an egg in the cell. A few moments later it backed completely into another empty cell (with its head level with the rim of the cell) and when it climbed out there was yet another egg . I watched it repeat the performance one more time before it disappeared into a clump of other workers. A first for me to actually see a laying worker lay.

Latest posts

Back