What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the deed and squashed the queen before uniting with a gentle hive. It was raining when I opened the hive from hell and were not pleased at all. As I found the queen and went to pick her up she fell at the bottom of the hive... Closed it all up, went back in 10 minutes after, same welcome, found her, squashed her, unite... And breathe!!

Rain stopped midday
Went round all mini nucs and removed empty introduction cages .
Watched a sudden mating flight return - bees everywhere (definitely not a swarm).

. Wait for good weather.

Tried my hand at grafting for the first time today. I didnt think it went too bad. Just hope I get some of the 22 to take.

I found the grafting easier than i thought it would be.

Will update at the end of the week.

What's going on with that hive? Might be worth an extra look, as it is very early. Mine are still producing plenty of drone brood and I am not that far from your area.

That same hive was producing drone and worker brood last weekend when they had their regular check. Two or three of my hives, from the same wild source, are over-producing drones. They see to be an odd lot, from a wild colony in a barn that produces four or five swarms a year. The queens don't live long in my hives, they 'burn out' after about 12-18 months and get superseded.

Tried my hand at grafting for the first time today. I didnt think it went too bad. Just hope I get some of the 22 to take.

I found the grafting easier than i thought it would be.

Will update at the end of the week.

So checked grafts after 24 hours and 10 of the 22 have taken. We chuffed with that for my first go.

I could try! Or sell it to local wholefoods shop..

If you do sell, consider putting your 80lb in 340g jars; will give you 106.6 jars of honey, keep the shop stocked for longer and get you the same price you would have got for it in 1lb jars. Suppose you get £6/lb; in 340s you'll end up with £636 as opposed to £480.

Here's a thought: there's a fishmonger in Lewes who wants to stock honey; he's not out to make a fortune from it but can't find a supplier; I contacted Doug Pearce but had no replies from several tries. I know Martin because he treks up to London farmers' markets every weekend; keeps his boats in Newhaven; good man.

Worth a shot? I'll see him this weekend and pm you his number if you're interested.

Blistering hot yesterday. 95˚F with a 70˚+ dew point. Seriously dangerous. This has been going on for weeks. And no rain. 3" down for June. We start the day early and quit by early afternoon.

Even with all that, we finished making nucs for the year. 320 made. 30 below the goal but I pulled the plug with this drought drying up the flow.

Today is the last graft in a process that began May 9. Ready for a break

Blistering hot yesterday. 95˚F with a 70˚+ dew point. Seriously dangerous. This has been going on for weeks. And no rain. 3" down for June. We start the day early and quit by early afternoon.

Even with all that, we finished making nucs for the year. 320 made. 30 below the goal but I pulled the plug with this drought drying up the flow.

Today is the last graft in a process that began May 9. Ready for a break

320 nucs! You are not small time are you! Your shortfall is about treble what I intend to have total ha-ha

Do you get Fireweed in your area?
Two years ago we had months of no rain and that gave us a good crop that year.

Hived up a couple of nucs, weather was on and off again, one minute sunny and the next it's cold. Decided to shake out one failure and have a quick look for queen acceptance in the others.
Weather went chilly so I'll check the others tomorrow, I did see one new queen and eggs so hoping all will be ok.

Latest posts

Back