What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxalic trickled 12 colonies took 15 mins. Add to slabs of candy to two that were low on stores, bees clustered. Temp about 7 degrees, and windy. Bees couldn't be bothered to move while hive was opened.

Oxalic trickled 12 colonies took 15 mins. Add to slabs of candy to two that were low on stores, bees clustered. Temp about 7 degrees, and windy. Bees couldn't be bothered to move while hive was opened.

I think you are more experienced than I, Snelgrove, so I was surprised to read your post.

I thought the whole point of oxalic trickling was that it has >95% efficacy when there is no brood, after a cold snap. But it seems to be too warm everywhere to force that break in brood. So, isn't your intervention premature, given that advice is that it's a once-a-year treatment?

On the other hand, everyone, if we don't get winter brood break, what happens to our IPM, when a winter treatment is such an important element? Would others be tempted to use an alternative winter treatment like Apistan?

Dusty

I think you are more experienced than I, Snelgrove, so I was surprised to read your post.

I thought the whole point of oxalic trickling was that it has >95% efficacy when there is no brood, after a cold snap. But it seems to be too warm everywhere to force that break in brood. So, isn't your intervention premature, given that advice is that it's a once-a-year treatment?

On the other hand, everyone, if we don't get winter brood break, what happens to our IPM, when a winter treatment is such an important element? Would others be tempted to use an alternative winter treatment like Apistan?

Dusty

I was apprehensive of doing the treatment because of the recent mild weather, however after opening up 12 of my 35 colonies I am confident, the bees are clustered with no brood.

I was apprehensive of doing the treatment because of the recent mild weather, however after opening up 12 of my 35 colonies I am confident, the bees are clustered with no brood.

maybe like me, you only take heed of cuckoos in the spring :D

Hi Snelgrove
Did you happen to read my post a few weeks ago before I was completely ridiculed?
We had a club talk from a researcher at Sussex University. His field was winter treatment of varroa with OA. He recommended opening the hive a day before treatment and removing capped brood. This makes OA application by trickle or vaporiser over 90% effective. If the weather has not been cold enough to stop the queen laying most of the varroa will be in the sealed cells and will survive. OA application only kills the phoretic varroa on the bees and numbers will increase rapidly once the sealed larva emerge.
It is also best to do it before Christmas. I, however, was going to do it last week and was totally stumped by the number of bees, the amount of brood and they were not clustered due to the mild weather. I am waiting for a good frost!

what happens to our IPM, when a winter treatment is such an important element?

But is it?
If your autumn treatment has been effective the winter one is just a mop-up and can be left out of your IPM
I think it would be useful for all of us if those that are doing Oxalic this Christmas time.....ish post their post Tx drop?

Snelgrove based in Co Durham . No brood

Brian Bush in Buckinghamshire. Brood.

It's all about local conditions when you treat.

Hi Snelgrove
Did you happen to read my post a few weeks ago before I was completely ridiculed?
We had a club talk from a researcher at Sussex University. His field was winter treatment of varroa with OA. He recommended opening the hive a day before treatment and removing capped brood. This makes OA application by trickle or vaporiser over 90% effective. If the weather has not been cold enough to stop the queen laying most of the varroa will be in the sealed cells and will survive. OA application only kills the phoretic varroa on the bees and numbers will increase rapidly once the sealed larva emerge.
It is also best to do it before Christmas. I, however, was going to do it last week and was totally stumped by the number of bees, the amount of brood and they were not clustered due to the mild weather. I am waiting for a good frost!

Hi Brian

Crazy year !! Absolutely !

Pity about the " Ridicule " bit but heh whilst we all share a common fascination, can't legislate for human nature and like anywhere there can be some strange people.

As for the cold period, let's hope it comes and soon, this mild weather is not good IMO , our Bees and many other critters and plants need their period of chill to ensure a good start when Spring officially arrives

Hi Snelgrove
:iagree:
To all of the above. My experience last year same as Sussex, but this year same as yours. Shoots brooding and day length theory to bits IMHO.

Dusty

Did mine a while ago to mop up any residual mites, checked a few for brood. None to be found just empty comb where the brood was earlier.
Some are clustered, some stronger colonies are tucking steadily into fondant.
14-15C on one site visit a few bees from each flying, the other a 15-17C day but windy, virtually none flying. No pollen for them to get anyway.

Would others be tempted to use an alternative winter treatment like Apistan?

I wouldn't be, as it wouldn't be effective here due to resistant varroa, but if needed then treatments with a similar mode of action like Apivar or Biowar would be effective.

Did mine a while ago to mop up any residual mites, checked a few for brood. None to be found just empty comb where the brood was earlier.
Some are clustered, some stronger colonies are tucking steadily into fondant.
14-15C on one site visit a few bees from each flying, the other a 15-17C day but windy, virtually none flying. No pollen for them to get anyway.

The British Isles has such a varied range of weather and colonies in one part of the country will not be in the same state as others with regards to brood. Trickle if your bees are brood less. Longer into the new year the more chance of brood rearing. Weather has been mild but we have hd some cold windy days here and 2iches of snow 2 weeks ago.

:iagree:
To all of the above. My experience last year same as Sussex, but this year same as yours. Shoots brooding and day length theory to bits IMHO.

I mentioned length of day. Now maybe you'd like to point out where I mentioned anything about brood. Talk was about winter and opening hives to check for brood due to obsessing over mite drop and counting and you are the one who is constantly banging on about it and posting such advice for beginners.
I repeat again, day length and height of sun in the sky tells them all they want to know, ie, it's winter so leave us in peace. ( note yet again I said nothing of brood )

Take a look at the National weather forecast from time to time, you'll be amazed to find the rest of this country gets different weather, something worth considering before giving out such poor advice.

I mentioned length of day. Now maybe you'd like to point out where I mentioned anything about brood. Talk was about winter and opening hives to check for brood due to obsessing over mite drop and counting and you are the one who is constantly banging on about it and posting such advice for beginners.
I repeat again, day length and height of sun in the sky tells them all they want to know, ie, it's winter so leave us in peace. ( note yet again I said nothing of brood )

Take a look at the National weather forecast from time to time, you'll be amazed to find the rest of this country gets different weather, something worth considering before giving out such poor advice.

:iagree: well said

Latest posts

Back