What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can "get my head around this ' 'leave it alone because it's winter' attitude["

It's simple..:)

Can I do anything about a dead colony? No.
Can I do anything about a Q- colony? No.

Do I need to open a colony to see:
- if it's underweight? No - weigh or heft.
- if it's got too much varroa ? No. Monitoring board.
- if the bees are well? - No. Observe at entrance or use clear crown board.

:yeahthat: :iagree:

I can "get my head around this ' 'leave it alone because it's winter' attitude["

It's simple..:)

Can I do anything about a dead colony? No.
Can I do anything about a Q- colony? No.

Do I need to open a colony to see:
- if it's underweight? No - weigh or heft.
- if it's got too much varroa ? No. Monitoring board.
- if the bees are well? - No. Observe at entrance or use clear crown board.

As I say, I am simple. Or it's simple. Or both :icon_204-2:

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat: Just SO RIGHT .....

I cannot get my head around this ' 'leave it alone because it's winter', attitude. If the temps are up there is no difference in inspecting now or summer.

And then we have those that would like to rewrite beekeeping all together, just so there word can be accepted as gospel.

Something of an oxymoron, perhaps?

Bees are cold-blooded animals, they have to work hard to keep their home at the right temperature more especially in the winter which is why good insulation can help.

It is not good practice to open up and inspect a colony in winter. It is different from in the summer because it takes the colony longer to recover, partly because they may need to cluster overnight and so can't rebuild all the seals etc. It's an added, and unnecessary, stress that achieves very little other than to satisfy an inquisitive beekeeper.

Not usually any poo with Nosema ceranae, but with your bees it could be paralyses.

I discussed last evening with one beek friend about. Also we talked could be some viruses.. Bees were normal look, not bald and black as mentioned with CBPV. But I believe that symptom is not neccessary to be to bees have been infected. Good thing is I will turn my intention more on viruses and how to prevent, reduce and seems will have to implement changes in my beekeeping ( like immediate antivarroa treatment after last crop - beginning or mid July).But that is beekeeping..
Some claim with formic acid in dust had excellent results.

I discussed last evening with one beek friend about. Also we talked could be some viruses.. Bees were normal look, not bald and black as mentioned with CBPV. But I believe that symptom is not neccessary to be to bees have been infected. Good thing is I will turn my intention more on viruses and how to prevent, reduce and seems will have to implement changes in my beekeeping ( like immediate antivarroa treatment after last crop - beginning or mid July).But that is beekeeping..
Some claim with formic acid in dust had excellent results.
I think that maybe varroa is the most likely candidate
With regards to CBPV there are two types of the virus you guessed type 1 & 2
One you describe is right being black hairless bees some times called ' little blacks' they are often ejected from the hive and refused entry
The one causing most damage is often seen with trembling bees in the hive, discolated wings and large numbers of dead bees on the floor and out side the hive some times on the crown boards and by the frame lugs
The dead bees outside the front will be in all stages of decay where as spray damage will be more sudden and at the same time the virus death happens over a longer period
Formic acid in dust form it's bad enough in liquid nasty

I think that maybe varroa is the most likely candidate
With regards to CBPV there are two types of the virus you guessed type 1 & 2
One you describe is right being black hairless bees some times called ' little blacks' they are often ejected from the hive and refused entry
The one causing most damage is often seen with trembling bees in the hive, discolated wings and large numbers of dead bees on the floor and out side the hive some times on the crown boards and by the frame lugs
The dead bees outside the front will be in all stages of decay where as spray damage will be more sudden and at the same time the virus death happens over a longer period
Formic acid in dust form it's bad enough in liquid nasty

All come with varroa ( viruses). Will have to press that harder. I didn't apply formic in dust before, but it is long winter and will talk with beeks who did on our meetings.

All come with varroa ( viruses). Will have to press that harder. I didn't apply formic in dust before, but it is long winter and will talk with beeks who did on our meetings.
CBPV is not associated with varroa neither are most of the viruses
There are only a few that are made more lethal with the presence of varroa the most common being DWV

CBPV is made worse in poor years by confinement to the hive as it passes From bee to bee when they rub together
(The non black bee type)

CBPV is not associated with varroa neither are most of the viruses
There are only a few that are made more lethal with the presence of varroa the most common being DWV

CBPV is made worse in poor years by confinement to the hive as it passes From bee to bee when they rub together
(The non black bee type)

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Goran, Sounds like varroa was the culprit with brood being too weakened to emerge. If you tilt the frames away from you and look into cells where bees have emerged you will see the white mite feces on the cell walls which is another sign of colony collapse due to compromised winter bees from heavy varroa load. I reckon colony losses due to varroa will be a big problem this year, so you will not be on your own.

Hi Goran, Sounds like varroa was the culprit with brood being too weakened to emerge. If you tilt the frames away from you and look into cells where bees have emerged you will see the white mite feces on the cell walls which is another sign of colony collapse due to compromised winter bees from heavy varroa load. I reckon colony losses due to varroa will be a big problem this year, so you will not be on your own.

In spring all will show up, not use to worry much. But first to blame, if something nasty turn out will be me.
Seems mine were somewhere in robbing and it cascaded in robbing ( 2 colonies) at my apiary and spreaded varroa..

Counting varroa drop on my 'problem' colony down to 16 today.

Trotted along to Thorne's in Newburgh for some Christmas goodies ... only to discover that they'd decided to close for the year :(

Save myself a fortune ;)

Trotted along to Thorne's in Newburgh for some Christmas goodies ... only to discover that they'd decided to close for the year :(

Save myself a fortune ;)

don't worry - their winter online sale will start before long :D

Latest posts

Back