What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you can accuse RAB of not forward planning .. the plan, always, IMO has to be to close them up for winter with plenty of stores and apart from checking the hive weights leave them be.

The only winter treatment for varroa that I feel is warranted is OA Sublimation which avoids the need to open the top of the hive - the last thing anyone should be doing is disturbing the bees winter preparations 'just to see'.

If they are short on stores (and they really should not be this early on) a slab of fondant on top of the frames will be minimal disturbance. Or - what I have is crown boards with feeder holes that are blocked but easily opened and it's a doddle to remove the feeder hole plug and slap an inverted container of fondant over the hole - they will find it if the hive is insulated sufficiently for them to move around.

If there is anything amiss with the colony other than a lack of stores or a heavy varroa load there is precious little that can be done at this time of the year.

A lot can be gleaned from putting in an inspection board (mine stay in all the time) for a week or so and look where there is debris. .

:iagree:

The colony wasn't flying so I presume there is some sort of problem.

Maybe the colony is clustered and can't be bothered to fly just because it was slightly warmer that day.
Maybe the entrance is blocked - in which case, just poking something in through the entrance should sort it.
Maybe the colony's dead, in which case - you can do nothing - it can wait until spring.

Hefted a couple of hives and was shocked at how light they were, compared to when they where wintered down, gonna have to but candy on a few.

Put your ear to the hive.....but do not tap.

I was there today but i wont be back for a few day's, i have a stethoscope to use which should keep my cranium out of harms way which i had planned using today but the heavens opened up and i got side tracked chopping wood afterwards, i will do it on my next visit. ;)

Something else I've thought is wrong with your post is plans.

I meant to post copy and paste one other gem, but nevermind. The one overriding point was that you organised your bees' treatment around your future diary with not a thought of the bees, the weather - or anything else for that matter. Probably not the likey varroa oading, either. Not thought that it is better to clear out the mites before the winter bees are brooded.

You posted specific dates, not 'around about' or any other similar wording. It was simply for your convenience. You claim to be a beekeeper of several years standing. Somehow I do believe there are some that will never progress to being real beekeepers. For some, the obvious naivety shines through.

I always plan ahead. Spring is the next hurdle for my bees, unless someting unforeseen occurs - like very high winds, deep snow, extreme cold for the area. As for opening hives unnecessarily in the middle or late December? Never. I formulate my plans perhaps a day or two prior to actioning them, but that does not preclude me from thinking, observing and considering their welfare at other times.

Something else I've thought is wrong with your post is plans.

I meant to post copy and paste one other gem, but nevermind. The one overriding point was that you organised your bees' treatment around your future diary with not a thought of the bees, the weather - or anything else for that matter. Probably not the likey varroa oading, either. Not thought that it is better to clear out the mites before the winter bees are brooded.

You posted specific dates, not 'around about' or any other similar wording. It was simply for your convenience. You claim to be a beekeeper of several years standing. Somehow I do believe there are some that will never progress to being real beekeepers. For some, the obvious naivety shines through.

I always plan ahead. Spring is the next hurdle for my bees, unless someting unforeseen occurs - like very high winds, deep snow, extreme cold for the area. As for opening hives unnecessarily in the middle or late December? Never. I formulate my plans perhaps a day or two prior to actioning them, but that does not preclude me from thinking, observing and considering their welfare at other times.

I'm managing to get through with my shoddy standards thus proving my point there is more than way. Hell I've done first insections in February before, and guess what my bees have not died out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Done oxalic at main apiary. One colony gone. One frame with 56 cells with bees almost emerged. And also newly layed eggs. Opened all the cells, didn't find something that point to AFB. Honey - heavy box, takes the effort to bring it off the apiary, so stores not the question. On that frame with brood about 50 bees and queen - dead. On bottom board pile of dead bees ( when gather together I assume for 5-6 seams would be). Find all together 60-70 varroa on the floor when removed bees, so that seems not to be the problem. Also in lower box couple frames of stores they didn't lift up. Found on the floor four wasps, about 20 chopped bees - but majority intact.. Nosema? But not much poo in hive, saw 5 circle spots of pooh - that could be at the end when bee number melted.. So if it was N. cerana I thought would find empty hive, not bees on the floor..
This never happen to me, so I am scratching my head..
Also I expect 2 more to go - also bee number melted despite stores available..
I planned anyway to reduce colony numbers, so.. Seems, I should better shut my mouth and be carefull what I wish.. :leaving:

Done oxalic at main apiary. One colony gone. One frame with 56 cells with bees almost emerged. And also newly layed eggs. Opened all the cells, didn't find something that point to AFB. Honey - heavy box, takes the effort to bring it off the apiary, so stores not the question. On that frame with brood about 50 bees and queen - dead. On bottom board pile of dead bees ( when gather together I assume for 5-6 seams would be). Find all together 60-70 varroa on the floor when removed bees, so that seems not to be the problem. Also in lower box couple frames of stores they didn't lift up. Found on the floor four wasps, about 20 chopped bees - but majority intact.. Nosema? But not much poo in hive, saw 5 circle spots of pooh - that could be at the end when bee number melted.. So if it was N. cerana I thought would find empty hive, not bees on the floor..
This never happen to me, so I am scratching my head..
Also I expect 2 more to go - also bee number melted despite stores available..
I planned anyway to reduce colony numbers, so.. Seems, I should better shut my mouth and be carefull what I wish.. :leaving:

Typical varroa case. Varroa violates wintering brood and when summer bees die, hive is empty. Not even bodies. I have described this sveral times.

514502 said:
Far better to be encouraging, supportive and positive rather than find fault.
Better, surely, to point out when something shouldn't always be copied by new beekeepers who may end up reading a particular comment or bit of advice and copy it slavishly because it's on the internet, so it must be true.

Hell I've done first insections in February before, and guess what my bees have not died out.
And I know too many beekeepers who have thought it's good to do inspections on the first warm day of the year, in January, February or March. They do it because it's warm enough for them to go outside without a coat and because they see their bees flying - and their bees have died out.

Better, surely, to point out when something shouldn't always be copied by new beekeepers who may end up reading a particular comment or bit of advice and copy it slavishly because it's on the internet, so it must be true.

And I know too many beekeepers who have thought it's good to do inspections on the first warm day of the year, in January, February or March. They do it because it's warm enough for them to go outside without a coat and because they see their bees flying - and their bees have died out.

:yeahthat: There are far too many myths and misinformation perpetuated by a large number of (often influential) beekeepers who, in their beekeeping, have accepted them as gospel and pass them on as such. The usual reason offered when flawed ideas are challenged is 'well it's always worked for me....' or 'my mentor did/does it like that ...' or similar variations on a theme.

The bigger problem is that many of these notions are also found in some well established beekeeping books and articles in the magazines published by the accepted ... gaining even more credence.

All lapped up by new beekeepers thirsty for knowledge and a desire to do their best for their bees.

Thank goodness some of them find this forum ...

The sooner a problem is spotted the sooner it can be resolved. Leaving it alone in the hope that it will sort itself is not the way to keep bees, although it used to be. I cannot get my head around this ' 'leave it alone because it's winter', attitude. If the temps are up there is no difference in inspecting now or summer.

Last edited:
:yeahthat: There are far too many myths and misinformation perpetuated by a large number of (often influential) beekeepers who, in their beekeeping, have accepted them as gospel and pass them on as such. The usual reason offered when flawed ideas are challenged is 'well it's always worked for me....' or 'my mentor did/does it like that ...' or similar variations on a theme.

The bigger problem is that many of these notions are also found in some well established beekeeping books and articles in the magazines published by the accepted ... gaining even more credence.

All lapped up by new beekeepers thirsty for knowledge and a desire to do their best for their bees.

And then we have those that would like to rewrite beekeeping all together, just so there word can be accepted as gospel.

Typical varroa case. Varroa violates wintering brood and when summer bees die, hive is empty. Not even bodies. I have described this sveral times.

But Goran says there are 5/6 seams worth of bees on the floor.

You are so right. The wonderful folk on here have saved me a number of times. RAB in particular.

Not all fora, though. You should see what beginners are telling beginners on the Flow forum.

Nosema? But not much poo in hive, saw 5 circle spots of pooh - that could be at the end when bee number melted.. So if it was N. cerana I thought would find empty hive, not bees on the floor..

Not usually any poo with Nosema ceranae, but with your bees it could be paralyses.

The sooner a problem is spotted the sooner it can be resolved. Leaving it alone in the hope that it will sort itself is not the way to keep bees, although it used to be. I cannot get my head around this ' 'leave it alone because it's winter', attitude. If the temps are up there is no difference in inspecting now or summer.

I can "get my head around this ' 'leave it alone because it's winter' attitude["

It's simple..:)

Can I do anything about a dead colony? No.
Can I do anything about a Q- colony? No.

Do I need to open a colony to see:
- if it's underweight? No - weigh or heft.
- if it's got too much varroa ? No. Monitoring board.
- if the bees are well? - No. Observe at entrance or use clear crown board.

As I say, I am simple. Or it's simple. Or both :icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back