What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
Nine C here and one nuc is out in force collecting pollen, so I guess that's another one with emerging brood. One colony has 5 12 x 14 frames very full of sealed brood plus some larvae. Note to self watch out for varroa.

Hi all,
Nine C here and one nuc is out in force collecting pollen, so I guess that's another one with emerging brood. One colony has 5 12 x 14 frames very full of sealed brood plus some larvae. Note to self watch out for varroa.

My goodness ... Are you still poking around inside your hives ? I'd be seriously worried if I felt the need at this time of the year to be regularly inspecting the brood nest. Are you worried about something ?

My goodness ... Are you still poking around inside your hives ? I'd be seriously worried if I felt the need at this time of the year to be regularly inspecting the brood nest. Are you worried about something ?

:iagree:
Also the assumption they have brood just because they're collecting pollen is a false one - they will collect pollen because it is there - they will need it later if not just at the moment

We've been very busy with our building projects......so not been checking in much...and when I do....I hear there is a new Bee Baby....fab news ...enjoy him.
Managed to check hive weights....some very heavy and some a bit lighter than a month ago. So on with the ekes and fondant for those ones. Extra insulation added on top of the nucs.
I can't say they were pleased with the early Xmas presents we brought.....but it was mainly curiosity. Anyway...no one got stung...so a bonus!
Next year....I am going to have ekes with insulation fitted in them with a square cut out for fondant...as I have seen some people do them like that. They can go on in the autumn before inspections finish...then adding fondant later...if necessary, will be so much easier.
This is the first time we have lifted the roof off any hives for ages. It was good to see the bees under the clear crown boards.
On one hive ....we could see bees but they were down in the lower brood box.
My double nuc was full of bees...my first carniolan queen is in this hive...well if they haven't superceeded her. I really hope she is there in the spring!

Yes, I am concerned about this hive because of varroa and is seeking to OA ASA the brood has emerged. Pointless exercise with 5 frames of sealed brood as you'll all agree.
None of my other colonies or the other nuc was collecting pollen and this one was frantic, so I think it is a fair assumption Jenkins.

True.

What did curiosity do to the cat?

Nos da

True.

What did curiosity do to the cat?

Nos da

Well, I am intelligent enough to realise that doing nothing is not an option with a might drop of 30 a day after three weeks of thymol and a total might drop to date of 1,100 as the colony would most probably be dead come spring. It is therefore preferential IMHO to try to save them by applying OA at the earliest opportunity as the temperature is too low now for Thymol to be effective. With the warmest year on record I shall not be on my own with a varroa problem and it is on one colony. Wishing all the forum members well with the overwintering of their colonies.

Last edited:
Well, I am intelligent enough to realise that doing nothing is not an option with a might drop of 30 a day after three weeks of thymol and a total might drop to date of 1,100 as the colony would most probably be dead come spring. It is therefore preferential IMHO to try to save them by applying OA at the earliest opportunity as the temperature is too low now for Thymol to be effective. With the warmest year on record I shall not be on my own with a varroa problem and it is on one colony. Wishing all the forum members well with the overwintering of their colonies.

Hi

And wishing you well too.

Obviously trying to do the best for your colonies. To be devils advocate and advise based on time of year and stage your bees will be at.

Best to try alternative treatment, non invasive.

Your bees are bedded down for winter, all joints sealed and propolised, last thing they need is crown board lifted breaking seals and frames removed disrupting comb and bees.

I have same problem and need a further Varroa treatment in next few days ( as soon as my vapouriser arrives/just ordered ) but will go for non invasive sublimation. Bottom line would not open up a hive now, you will set them back, causing serious disturbance in removing frames.

Check out the recent post on Oxalic Sublimination , perhaps an option for you.

Your bees are bedded down for winter, all joints sealed and propolised, last thing they need is crown board lifted breaking seals and frames removed disrupting comb and bees.

I have same problem and need a further Varroa treatment in next few days ( as soon as my vapouriser arrives/just ordered ) but will go for non invasive sublimation. Bottom line would not open up a hive now, you will set them back, causing serious disturbance in removing frames.

Check out the recent post on Oxalic Sublimination , perhaps an option for you.

Well said that man - thinking not just beekeeping by rote - the rootling around checking for brood continually will probably case more damage to the colony than leaving well alone.
Maybe thinking about the options would be better - once every five days for three treatments would address the issue of brood being present.
And let's just accept one thing - counting mites is pretty pointless and gives no idea of how many mites are in the hive

Well said that man - thinking not just beekeeping by rote - the rootling around checking for brood continually will probably case more damage to the colony than leaving well alone.
Maybe thinking about the options would be better - once every five days for three treatments would address the issue of brood being present.
And let's just accept one thing - counting mites is pretty pointless and gives no idea of how many mites are in the hive
As above
A clear glass crownboard is a good idea.. then at least the curious beekeeper can take a quick peek at the bees without much disturbance.
The inspection slider board also gives a good indication of colony strength... and to some degree levels of mite presence?

Good luck
Yeghes da

The inspection slider board also gives a good indication of colony strength... and to some degree levels of mite presence?

Good luck
Yeghes da

Also presence of cappings will indicate whether they are brooding or not, I still think counting mites is a pretty futile exercise

I cleared some fallen leaves from around the hives when I noticed that one had landed on her back on the wet landing board. I flipped her over and was promptly stung for my troubles! I also checked out the shed and found it really, really damp, to the extent that black mould had stared to grow on my bee suits so I removed these to the house to wash and dry out. I think I need to visit the shed tomorrow to ensure that nothing there will be damaged by the dampness.

Put some matchsticks under the roof bpmurray, ventilation!

I cleared some fallen leaves from around the hives when I noticed that one had landed on her back on the wet landing board. I flipped her over and was promptly stung for my troubles! I also checked out the shed and found it really, really damp, to the extent that black mould had stared to grow on my bee suits so I removed these to the house to wash and dry out. I think I need to visit the shed tomorrow to ensure that nothing there will be damaged by the dampness.

Drill some 1" holes in the shed.... one lot at floor level, and another at a high point at roof level
Cover holes with mesh or the mice will find a dry snug shed to over winter in!

damp does not like ventilation

( or you could try raising the roof on some matchsticks!!)

Nos da

Drill some 1" holes in the shed.... one lot at floor level, and another at a high point at roof level
Cover holes with mesh or the mice will find a dry snug shed to over winter in!

damp does not like ventilation

( or you could try raising the roof on some matchsticks!!)

Nos da
I have a cheap shed which mean's there's lots of ventilation, it still goes moldy around floor level the only thing that helps is a electric fan heater.

Hmm - I'll consider the matches, but it does sound like I need better ventilation. Or perhaps a heater.

Speaking of heaters, also today, in the past hour or so, I've put together the electrics for a warming cabinet and am currently testing it using a poly brood box and roof on a sheet of aeroboard. It's looking good and is up to 26.6C already. Quite proud of myself!

Hmm - I'll consider the matches, but it does sound like I need better ventilation. Or perhaps a heater.

Just wrap the whole damn thing in celotex, then, (as some on here would proscribe) cut a two foot hole in the roof - be sure, as well, to leave the door open to ensure a through passage of air

Last edited:
Winter day, shallow snow is melting. Next week higher day temps., about 13c. Some odd wasp going in the hives. Saw some human footprints in snow around hives at second apiary, hopefully only some curious person..
Saw some feathers at upper apiary.. Cats.. I worry less for woodpeckers..

Up to apiary to fix fence, Storm Clodagh hit and tore my green mesh netting from the fence posts.

Bees quiet but some out in strong winds and 8 degrees, 2 returning with pollen. AMM local hardy girls !

Latest posts

Back