What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turned all entrance blocks to the minimum entrance hole. Interesting that doing this to five hives there was just one bee emerged from one of them to see what was going on. Nicely settled clusters inside I hope!

Lifted roofs with a cloth in one hand to place immediately over the crown board holes, and placed expanded polystyrene over the half of the crown board area, leaving ventilation from holes to roof vents clear. Cloth off, roof back. Just one of the five hives considered it a disturbance and came up at me. Lost some to the cold as they went frigid on the landing board going back home. Just a few but it's still a shame to see it.

placed expanded polystyrene over the half of the crown board area, leaving ventilation from holes to roof vents clear.

Eh!? what's the point in putting insulation on if you're going to create a roaring gale through the hive? block them holes up canny lad! :D

Pottered around the home apiary - feeders off, feed holes covered, hives all strapped down in case we have another gentle draught like midweek, spent an hour on the lawn in the sun washing and drying all the feeders before stowing away - just the top apiary to do now tomorrow - luckily only decided this week that I didn't like the chelsea tractor tyres on the new truck so changed them for something with a little more guts :D)

Yesterday was 17c, this morning 11c. Then it turned to cold strong wind with rain and now snowing..
All four seasons in short.. Wet and cold now..
Bees are in winter mode. These days some beeks are complaining of significant autumn losses.. Varroa, my opinion.

Last edited:
Someone donated a load of kit to me a couple of days ago. National hives, loads of supers, miller feeder, covers, escapes, tools, wax sheets, frames (unused), etc etc. They hadn't been used for 15 years, being stored in a dry barn for that time. So, spent today systematically going through it all, cleaning, scrubbing, scraping, steaming and checking it. Good quality cedar so all in very usable condition once washed out. Hug it up outside to dry, just in time for the snow to fall.

Eh!? what's the point in putting insulation on if you're going to create a roaring gale through the hive? block them holes up canny lad! :D

Education, Education, Education! Surely the information has been circulated far and wide but there are still more to appreciate the message.

Havent done Tyneside yet, :)

On my very first beekeeping lecture I learnt that there is huge variation of practice among beekeepers. I have been educated into the opinion that ventilation through the winter should be maintained, as dampness more seriously than cold is the sure killer of bees. You guys have not persuaded me that leaving the crown board holes open is a bad idea.

I have been educated into the opinion that ventilation through the winter should be maintained, as dampness more seriously than cold is the sure killer of bees.
a theory based on a fallacy founded by a person who was disproved within months of his unsupported evidence being published - but still people insist on following it

have been educated into the opinion-

Replace 'educated' with 'brainwashed'. Much more appropriate. Clearly not a thinker, where beekeeping is concerned? With any luck the bees will have previously propolised the roof vents to reduce the damage to the colony.

Like JBM wrote, what is the point of top insulation if not done properly?

You guys have not persuaded me that leaving the crown board holes open is a bad idea.

But the oval holes in what are often sold as 'crown boards' aren't meant to be for ventilation, they're meant to be used for Porter Bee Escapes and should be covered up the rest of the time.

On my very first beekeeping lecture I learnt that there is huge variation of practice among beekeepers. I have been educated into the opinion that ventilation through the winter should be maintained, as dampness more seriously than cold is the sure killer of bees. You guys have not persuaded me that leaving the crown board holes open is a bad idea.

But ..... There is no damp in hives that have closed crownboards and insulation on top of it .. I have clear polycarbonate crown boards with at least 50mm of Kingspan on top and I've never seen a drop of condensation - let alone damp.

Just why do you think bees do their utmost to seal up the top of the hives during their preparation for winter ? If your theory holds true then surely they would be trying to OPEN up the top of the hive not SEAL IT SHUT ... Listen to your bees ... they know what they want !

up to Carreg apiary to take all the feeders off - all cwtched up and taking no notice whatsoever of me crashing around. feeders all washed now and on the lawn drying in the afternoon sun

Last evening I attend one lecture about queen rearing/ bee breeding from one of our professional queen grower.. Pretty disappointed..
Here to be registered professional queen grower you must have 100 colonies, 2km radius from nearest neighbouring apiary, "some records" of previous seasons and voila you are professional queen grower.. No education, or something like that needed..
And queens follow the same quality..

... as dampness more seriously than cold is the sure killer of bees. ...
This is an oft quoted saw in those words or thereabouts.

Its damp because of condensation... condensation occurs because you have surfaces below the dew point i.e. cold compared to the bees. Condensation is occuring because of the heat losses

So we can now edit your statement to reflect the underlying causes

it now reads as
"as cold more seriously than cold is the sure killer of bees."
Its a meaningless piece of tautology

There are lots of old beekeeping saws about ventlation,temperature, damp and bees, I am ready and willing to give a proper scientific analysis on any of them here, by email or in person.

Not had a chance to get to the bees this week after a new arrival! My first son! It really is a miracle and although he's already keeping us up half the night we're really chuffed!

Now... when can i get him a bee suit? ;)

Latest posts

Back