What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twilight dash to recover three of my most productive colonies from the gardens of a micro hotel. Owner was not impressed with the 6 jars of honey I gave her, said she had to have ALL of her honey to sell... despite getting 20 jars earlier in the season to sell on her open gardens charity day...... and free pollinating service for all the flowers and specimen and rare plants... and a bumper crop of apples this year!
I had agreed one pound in weight of honey per productive colony when I put the bees there 2 years ago.

Just opposite the Railway Station Terminus at the top of the greatgreygreengreasytamarriverallsetaboutwithsocialhousing... on the Cornish side!

All is not lost as nice man who owns the apple orchard... almost next door, phoned me this morning to ask if he could pay me to pollinate his orchard for next year..... as he saw me taking the hives away.
He said he had a bumper crop of apples for the first time this year.. and put it down to my bees.

Yeghes da

I would have give 20 jar's of urine to the Horrible women..

Been watching Henry Cole ride his Triumph Mettise motorcycle around your country... looks like a nice place!

Yeghes da

I looked, that gentleman was on the coast. I am inland, different. At my place is colder ( winters especcially), continental climate.
Nature is great, everything else debatable..
These are older pics..

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    446.7 KB · Views: 36
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 35
  • c.JPG
    c.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 31
  • d.JPG
    d.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 31
  • e.JPG
    e.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 44
few more

Attachments

• f.JPG
    f.JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 30
  • frost.JPG
    frost.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 30
  • frost 2.JPG
    frost 2.JPG
    522.8 KB · Views: 26
  • frost 3.JPG
    frost 3.JPG
    499.8 KB · Views: 24
  • snow fence.JPG
    snow fence.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 27
Just dropped off the last 6 12oz jarsof this seasons crop
Sold 90 jars from home in three weeks and 50 in a shop I supply when the schools went back
Seems I'm the only one selling raw honey in this area and the people went crazy for it

Less work for me in it too as I just extract through double strainer and jar immediately, here's hoping for a good crop next year

Put my two hives to bed( actually yesterday so digressing from thread).
Heading into fifth winter. I just put carpet over the crown board, put in the OMF floors and put on mouse guards. It has worked so far, so decided not to change things.

Love that second apiary pic, Goran

Thanks. This year rainbow " foot" was at our property. If I had more time, I could pass below.. Also, had no camera to take a pic..
These pics are also older - from second apiary..

Attachments

• second apiary.JPG
    second apiary.JPG
    601 KB · Views: 35
  • second apiary 2.JPG
    second apiary 2.JPG
    477.1 KB · Views: 29
  • second apiary 3.JPG
    second apiary 3.JPG
    496.9 KB · Views: 39
Such a lovely country Goran ...I feel for your situation, it must be so frustrating. If good wishes from here would sell your honey you would have sold it ten times over .. everyone's got their fingers crossed for you.

Thanks, firstly it was critical. but bypass somehow my financial situation, so far is bearable..
I try not worry a lot. I read some honeydew occur usually every 7th year at my place ( from decidious trees), but has no some great price and not some demand for it ( part of honey I have for sale is honeydew). Always look on the bright side of life - at least I can sing that tune..

Thanks, firstly it was critical. but bypass somehow my financial situation, so far is bearable..
I try not worry a lot. I read some honeydew occur usually every 7th year at my place ( from decidious trees), but has no some great price and not some demand for it ( part of honey I have for sale is honeydew). Always look on the bright side of life - at least I can sing that tune..

Fair play to You Goran , Best Wishes !! :)

Checked hives for fallen debris - all OK and flying despite it still blowing a gale. I admire their pluck although not sure they will have much left in the tank though flying through that

Over here still sunny, relative warm 18-19 celsius. No wind. I rush later in a day to property and sadly catch only late sun. At least can watch beautifull sunsets.. Bees calm and slooow.. Don't work nothing with bees, hazels are in focus ( catkins are growing)..

You have hazel catkins now? We don't get them until February or March.

Now they are about 1-2 cm long. Not opened. Some start opening in mid/late December, but mostly in January. When weather behave, hive entrances are yellow of its pollen.. Sometimes I fear that it trigger brooding too early. But so far fear shown unjustified ( overall no problem for colony overwintering and spring development)..

Glad I checked out apiaries after high winds.two roofs blown off leaving open feeder holes

leaving open feeder holes

Yet another reason for solid crowboards! My flat sheet crownboards would not allow rain to pour onto my colonies, if the roof is gone. By now, as they will be well propolised, it would be less likely that the crownboards would also be blown off. I used to strap from under the floor to above the crownboard (ratchet part under the roof), but not done that for years (since adding top insulation).

Latest posts

Back