What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They let them all in - I've observed it more than once, the queenright state of the new hive supresses their laying instinct, no need for ovaries to develop, workers often lay, even in queenright colonies, it's the other bees that tidy the eggs away; in a Q- colony, desperation means they turn a blind eye. there is so much nonsense spoken by the usual suspects about this it's unbelievable

I wouldn't shake them out in front of my only other hive, especially if queen less.

I have two other colonies, one Q+, the other working on a new queen (hopefully).

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'd better wait to shake them out until the other hive is queenright... Or take them further away to do it, but as they're brood-&-a-half that would be very heavy.

Another great reason for living in Croatia if the sladoled wasn't enough.;)
Unfortunately not all is nice.. If the level of corruption is little smaller it could be bearable.. I try not to watch the news in regard of economy and specially politics cause it is travesty.. Before we entered EU I hoped it would be better, but since we entered EU it has risen unbelievable and openly displayed what opened my eyes that EU is highly corrupted..

Unfortunately not all is nice.. If the level of corruption is little smaller it could be bearable.. I try not to watch the news in regard of economy and specially politics cause it is travesty.. Before we entered EU I hoped it would be better, but since we entered EU it has risen unbelievable and openly displayed what opened my eyes that EU is highly corrupted..

As a tourist, I only see the fantastic weather, (including dramatic thunder and lightning), amazing scenery and historical places, and the great people I meet.
Living in the UK, despite being outside the EU, a broken system of politics and blatant corruption are things we also live with. :(

That is a thing of beauty
In a 1st pic was attempt of swarming, seconds were in the matter. I blocked entrance immediately when saw bees firing out, before queen left the hive. Entrance above QE I left open. After some 15-20 mins all settled as on a pic and later in a day I dig into hive and made a split. This hive was in schedule to recheck on swarming, luckily managed to do it on my way ( frankly I hate swarms).

After no eggs from a new Queen one of the hives had raised themselves after swarming 5 or 6 weeks ago, we went in today with the intention of maybe replacing her. It's been about 9 or 10 days since we last checked and i was desperate to give her one last chance. To my utter delight, we discovered 2 frames of eggs and capped brood, so that made my day :)

Second attempt at grafting yesterday.
Prior attempt last week ended in nil points out of 10
Checked today : 5 out of 10.

At this rate of improvement I will hit 15 out of 10 in two weeks.

7 days ago we merged a nuc back into the hive we had taken the queen out of from as swarm control 2 weeks previous. Was a bit nervous as we had just slotted the frames back into the top brood box with a bit of air freshner, but all was well with the queen alive and laying. Used a method as described by Pete Little and hopefully no more swarm preps. Just inspected one other hive and noticed that they had demolished the remaining stores in the brood box.

It's 11C and raining: Global Warming on strike.
Dodged - partially the hail to house emerged Q in a Keiler mating nuc.

Inspected 12 of mine today,haven't had chance to look in them for 12 days so didn't know what to expect. Hives were about the same weight or slightly lighter that last visit,so the June gap is in full force here and the bees weren't too happy. One of my very few colonies that hasn't tried to swarm yet had multiple sealed cells but the clipped queen was still there so an easy split. Another the queen seems to have died or disappeared as there was loads of very nice sealed brood but no eggs and some young emergency cells so not sure what has happened there? Of the others all bar 1 is laying well with 4 early splits now having nicely mated queens,just waiting on 1 virgin to mate and all should be good to go. Hopefully things will calm down now and it's just a case of piling on the supers and waiting for them to fill! Uncapped some drone brood and didn't see ant mites so that's good news.

No queen or eggs unfortunately. Its the second time we have ordered from this company and the queen arrives exceptionally small, second time with this company that the introduction of a queen has failed!!!!! First time two years ago they replaced, won't this time. May take eggs from another hive

No queen or eggs unfortunately. Its the second time we have ordered from this company and the queen arrives exceptionally small, second time with this company that the introduction of a queen has failed!!!!! First time two years ago they replaced, won't this time. May take eggs from another hive
Can you pm me with who?

Latest posts

Back