What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swarm frenzy calmed down. We are entering from puberty into adolescence.. Heavy load of work with bees, one more day ( if weather behave) and main attention to hazels. For a few nights pain in my fists wake me. Now is getting better.. Now should be more finesse than heavy work..

And then there were four!
Split two hives due to swarm preps.
New queen from Northumberland Honey arriving later in the week, so sorted some kit for her. Extracted some spring honey, very strong taste and smell.

Attachments

• 8F1982E3-0390-4F64-BAF9-7DE883D07FFC.jpeg
    8F1982E3-0390-4F64-BAF9-7DE883D07FFC.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Inspected 3 out of our 4 hives, the fourth leaving them to settle in their new queen. Clipped three queens, first time ever, very pleased with ourselves, bit scary though. Checked the bees, they all look healthy. Few play cups dotted around. Our golden girl Rosie who has three supers full of nectar with 9 frames mostly capped is inundated with drones and I mean inundated!!!!!!!
🐝🐝🐝🐝

And then there were four!
Split two hives due to swarm preps, the 2021 queen is on her second attempt to scarper. Her daughter (2022), (I posted a photo of her the other week in Swarms Blog) has decided to have a go too.
New queen from Northumberland Honey arriving later in the week, so sorted some kit for her.
Do you mean the colony from this years queen has decided to swarm?

Checked my winter Q- hive again today, and I think the brood is from laying workers. All drone brood and multiple eggs in the cells. With the age of these bees at this stage of the season I'm not sure it's worth introducing another frame from my good hive? Would it be best to just shake them out? I'm waiting a new colony to requeen after an AS - if I shake out, is there a risk of laying workers going into that hive and messing things up while they're queenless? Maybe I should wait until there's a laying queen in there...

Attachments

• 20220528_161411.jpg
    20220528_161411.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 20220528_161345.jpg
    20220528_161345.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
Checked my winter Q- hive again today, and I think the brood is from laying workers. All drone brood and multiple eggs in the cells. With the age of these bees at this stage of the season I'm not sure it's worth introducing another frame from my good hive? Would it be best to just shake them out? I'm waiting a new colony to requeen after an AS - if I shake out, is there a risk of laying workers going into that hive and messing things up while they're queenless? Maybe I should wait until there's a laying queen in there...
Yes I’d shake out if it’s been going on a while and all the bees are old. I’ve asked lots of people about the risk of shaking laying workers out when there’s a queenless hive nearby. Generally the view is queenright hives won’t let them in…but no one can say in the case of a queenless hive, or one with early stage queen rearing taking place. No one can answer, some things are just not known / researched. Personally I would take a drive and shake out, rather than take the risk.

I wouldn't shake them out in front of my only other hive, especially if queen less.
The idea that laying workers are not allowed into a foreign hive is wrong. They are. I've shaken out a few and I have seen all the bees accepted through the apiary. They stop laying under the influence of brood pheromone or their eggs are policed and everything settles down
I just wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't shake them out in front of my only other hive, especially if queen less.
The idea that laying workers are not allowed into a foreign hive is wrong. They are. I've shaken out a few and I have seen all the bees accepted through the apiary. They stop laying under the influence of brood pheromone or their eggs are policed and everything settles down
I just wouldn't do it.
Yes agree I always take them away and shake out where they can’t do any damage.
At this time of year there’s always a hive in my apiaries that’s queenless or developing a queen

Latest posts

Back