What books are you reading poll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ted Hooper. MBE

"Bees and Honey"

Its cost me a fortune, ordered it on line and went overdrawn. :(

Ted Hooper. MBE

"Bees and Honey"

Don't want to bring you down, but it's currently £9 on Amazon.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Bees-Honey-Selling-Beekeeping/dp/1904846513/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1285054004&sr=8-1[/ame]

A lucky find in the local market - "My Bee Book" a 1970 reprint of an 1842 book by William Charles Cotton MA.
He's a clergyman, and is keen to spread his way of beekeeping to the "cottagers". I've only read the first 60 or so pages - the language and style is fairly archaic, he is railing against the then common practice of killing one's bees come winter............Fascinating!:coolgleamA:

Ted Hooper. MBE

"Bees and Honey"

But the book will save you many pounds in the long run.
I could push things further and say how can you be a beekeeper if you have not read Hooper..

£9? nine pounds! day light robbery, £9 you say? A yorkshireman could live on that for a year and include a summer holiday. The price of some of these books. Don't even get me started on the fact you also have to pay for this interweb access thingy and the obligatory computator device. :mad:

I don't know about living of £9 a year but I don't pay for my interweb I have very nice neighbors may be i could spend £9 on a bottle of wine to thank them ( I do have their permission )

Recently finished "Honey by the ton" by Oliver Field - really good read, amusing and informative. It has left me with a question though - he refers to "screens" at the end of the chapter on pollination - are these travelling screens for ventilation?

Interesting observation - he says one man can manage up to 250 hives effectively, after that the more he has the more the whole will suffer.

Just Ordered Practical Beekeeping - one recommended on here. It should arrive today tomorrow ish. Also have been reading an Iphone app or three,

Bee Keeping for Beginners Learn How To keep Bees Successfully - avoid at all costs - has no pictures at all and it is or was the most expensive app - rubbish

Mysteries of Bee Keeping EXPLAINED (M QUINBY) 712 pages of info but it must have been written a long time ago due to his long winded dialogue.

Beekeeping - this has a picture of a bee on some honeycomb - At my level this is a lovely app and I am enjoying it because it seems top follow the same sort of flow this forum has.

I also have a friend who is a beekeeper professionally and has been for years. He and his friend have a good reputation and although they shun things like this forum they are very willing to help and friendly. So I am quite lucky.

However lol they have convinced more people to give beekeeping a wide birth than not. Not their efforts, but after explaining just the basics in a day, the people that were really enthusiastic were mortified by how much work it was and have cried off. I must admit it has amazed me how much there is to it. Already the - "I'll just have a nice little hive in the garden"has deteriorated into - ok so I have to have a spare hive for each one I have just in case they swarm and I want to give myself the best chance of helping bees than hurt them. And the whole which hive scenario. Which has resolved into - getting a national for practicality with a WBC outer for aesthetics and also for its insulating properties.(want to live on the moors). This has been a intense two weeks of learning with years ahead I am sure.

Are there 2 Hooper books? I only ask because the one I bought only cost about £7 ( hides from Rosti :p ) but I have seen others that are a lot more expensive. I think the Bees and Honey one is the expensive one, but the Guide to Bees and Honey is cheaper. Surely they can't be the same book. Even if in hardback, the difference in price is just plain daft.

I'm off to investigate :D

I've been to investigate, and I think it may be down to editions. Seems to be the same book, with different covers. See link. Hooper Amazon search

Last edited:
Just bought

The Bee Friendly Beekeeper
A sustainable approach
by David Heaf
150 pages some great pictures and drawings

Expensive at £26 though

OK, I will tell.

I have just returned to finish 'A short History Of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson.

A fascinating read, but I wish I had 'post-noted it' for literally dozens of references earlier.

A phenomenal collection of facts of, and in-sights to, the world around us, beneath us and to further afield, as well.

It has made a few more, no a lot more, connections of past happenings/events - most of which I had read about or had prior knowledge of, but had never made the connection between.

Regards, RAB

"A world without bees" really is a very interesting read. It convinced me to take up beekeeping. It is the sort of book that you want your friends and relatives to read.

I read it a few years ago, as you say; not necessarily new knowledge, but new connections. Quite a holistic view, and well worth the read.

OK, I will tell.

I have just returned to finish 'A short History Of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson.

A fascinating read, but I wish I had 'post-noted it' for literally dozens of references earlier.

A phenomenal collection of facts of, and in-sights to, the world around us, beneath us and to further afield, as well.

It has made a few more, no a lot more, connections of past happenings/events - most of which I had read about or had prior knowledge of, but had never made the connection between.

Regards, RAB

Sigh - here she is all shiny and new just arrived - package opened - A Practical Manual of Beekeeping - David Cramp. Courtesy of a well known book selling website. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the smell of its new pages lol. Love books. If the dog even thinks about mauling this I will insert something oblong into his circular nethers.

Just finished Honey & Dust by Piers Moore Ede, more of a travelogue including bees than a bee book - but entertaining in places...interesting in others..and yawn in yet more places!

I have just read "Bee" by Claire Preston (Reaktion Books 2006) which gave some fascinating bee lore/legends. More of a history of bees in folklore/myth/politics/religion book. I found it worth a borrow from the library.

Meanwhile would the person hogging the Collins book from Norwich library please bring it back so I can borrow it!:toetap05:
Cazza

Books for me hols

I am going on hols soon and thought I would look on Waterstones website for some 'light' reading. Have heard that Bill Turnbulls book might be interesting so went to the page.
Didnt buy it but what really took my interest is the:
"Customers who bought this title, also bought"

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/bill+turnbull/the+bad+beekeepers+club/7786370/

Now I can understand the first 3 recommendations but is the fourth what beekeepers do when the bees are wintering?
Cheers
S

Back